It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can I LEARN REAL magick? Amazon?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I am getting into the paranormal.

Knowing people I've met who are way good at it. (But won't tell me where they learnt cos I don't know them well)

Where do I learn? From books of Amazon?

Do you have a list of terms I should search for on amazon (if Amazon is the best place to learn) please.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 03:57 AM
link   
If magic were real, powerful minds wouldn't need books to dig in. Yet even with books, even the most powerful minds, no magic.

That's not to say it isn't neato stuff to check out, that you shouldn't enjoy the little adventures. Half the stuff people get into with all of their time is no more absurd when you really get down to it.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 03:58 AM
link   
a reply to: gell1234

You could look into the spirits of Goetia

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 04:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: gell1234

Knowing people I've met who are way good at it. (But won't tell me where they learnt cos I don't know them well)

Do you have a list of terms I should search for on amazon (if Amazon is the best place to learn) please.

How do you know they are good at it?

Have they shown you proof besides things that could be circumstantial?

What is it they are doing?

Why do you feel it's "magic"?

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Actual magic is a lie.

Wizardly dudes and dudettes ripping holes in reality and traveling from place to place in instants, issuing lightning from their hands and harnessing the power of the elements for their own whims is absolute fantasy, and never existed.

Superstition however, is a real thing, and ALL "magic" performed in this era, relies on superstition to be effective. There is nothing happening in any of that, save for a psychological trick being played upon a given target.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Not yet, but it looks interesting thank you.

How can I use it rather than just reading about it.a reply to: Akragon

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Is amazon a good place to learn?

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 04:17 AM
link   

amazon is a great place to start, but you're gonna need naked babes.
it works better with naked babes.
and a goat, dont forget the goat.

edit on 2America/Chicago18Tue, 10 Jan 2017 04:18:40 -060010400000017 by weirdguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 04:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
If magic were real, powerful minds wouldn't need books to dig in. Yet even with books, even the most powerful minds, no magic.

Writing yet another set of background notes for a novel I'll never write that revolves around this question.

When I die and they go through my crap, I'll go down in history as the man who wrote a dozen Silmarillions and no books.

It's an interesting question. What IF magic were real? Why isn't it 'real' now? A few people have sort of tried to deal with that (Barbra Hambly et al) but generally just hand wave it as 'an event we don't understand now prevents the instantiation of magical effects', more or less. It's a sort of dodge to me, even when it's worked into the narrative as a McGuffin (the search for why not, never solved)

I think you could make a fictional argument for it being real, and something everyone can do to some extent, although some are far more talented than others. If you throw in some confounders - say, it also requires perceptive talent that may not correlate with ability, and it also requires a natural ability to concentrate on complex, boring, confusing study and practice that you won't do without the proper mind set, and you've got a nice Venn diagram that only occasionally farts out a real mage.

I've been able to explain nearly every magical trope in literature in terms of my assumption set from vampires to why wizards "must be virgins", including Simon Magus, early Christianity, Egyptian mysticism and so on. You'd think it would be a slam dunk to write but there's more crap to dig out so that it doesn't come off as poorly sourced as a Dan Brown book.

The 'why did it stop happening' thing needs to be explained as a conspiracy of religious higher-ups between the Muslims, Jews and Catholic churches, for example. You also need to pull in some historical events - the burning of the library at Alexandria and the like - to nail that down. It'll take more history reading than I have time for at the moment. But the gist is that a powerful cabal of early religious leaders finally unified a trend that had been happening amongst the larger religions of the day, which was to destroy reference works to magic, kill practitioners that did training, scatter and destroy schools of magic and build a veneer of woo over the entire subject, plus whilst poo-pooing it, also to denigrate the practice, something I've always found to be amusing. Especially given that most if not all religions have at their centers something that sounds/looks an awful lot LIKE magic going on. I just need to have enough historical props to shore up a nice shaggy dog/just so framework.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 04:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: weirdguy

amazon is a great place to start, but you're gonna need naked babes.
it works better with naked babes.
and a goat, dont forget the goat.

Goats are very important.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 04:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Superstition however, is a real thing, and ALL "magic" performed in this era, relies on superstition to be effective.

What if that's what They® want you to believe?

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 04:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Then their BS is stronger than my reality!

What a terrifying thought lol!

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 04:35 AM
link   

The paranormal you talk about is not magik (magik does not exist except for entertainers) but you want to explore the paranormal which means you want to poke around in the spiritual world. So you want to be able to contact spirits, right? Or are you talking about magik such as spells etc....

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Sorry, your opening post doesn't instill in me the feeling that you are either ready or know what you want.
IT sounds like a kid seeing something and wanting it, disregarding everything in between.
If you are talking about spells and rituals, you can probably get an 'Idiot guide to witchcraft' or something similar on Amazon, read it, try it ...and fail.

Why would you fail?
Let me first of all say that 'asking the universe, praying, witchraft etc is all the same thing only made different by humans. However it does work. It has worked for all my life and amazes me every time. However in my case, what I had to do came to me, I didn't have to chase it.
In theory anyone can do it.

However in practice I noticed that only one vital thing is missing when it doesn't work and that is...hahhahahahahaha, not telling you.

Why not? Because I want you to learn a little more about life, get into the occult a bit more, read up on various religions, spirituality etc basically build up a basis of knowledge and experience. Then you'll be in a better place to contemplate what you call 'magic'.
You can't even explain what you are exactly after. So I don't think you should even try yet.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 04:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam
The 'why did it stop happening' thing needs to be explained as a conspiracy of religious higher-ups between the Muslims, Jews and Catholic churches, for example. You also need to pull in some historical events - the burning of the library at Alexandria and the like - to nail that down. It'll take more history reading than I have time for at the moment. But the gist is that a powerful cabal of early religious leaders finally unified a trend that had been happening amongst the larger religions of the day, which was to destroy reference works to magic, kill practitioners that did training, scatter and destroy schools of magic

Sounds like a proper conspiracy theory!

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 04:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: Bedlam

Then their BS is stronger than my reality!

What a terrifying thought lol!

That's why in the backstory the various religions decided that MORE high level magic practitioners couldn't be lived with.

Once you have your deity incarnate do all the magic tricks, you can't have others or it's confusing to the masses, for one.

For another, it could undermine an organized society, which provides a framework for all the non-talented's lives. If you had a school that could successfully pop out a few hundred people a semester who could openly defy your society's police, military and religious leaders, then it's going to degenerate into a sort of Mad Maxian post-apocalyptic world ruled by high level practitioners devastating the countryside in an attempt to kill the competition.

So the best path is to team up a few high level users, set up a religion around them, wipe out the competition in an organized fashion, and establish a lasting framework that stomps would-be upstarts, for millennia. Eventually, no one is left who believes in it or knows the slightest thing about doing it. And if you've got rid of all the useful bits of documentation, there's no guide to how to teach yourself that isn't all bollocks. In fact, you'd want to promulgate the occasional bit of idiocy, in the form of various grimoires that do nothing or pseudo-religions that promise magical ability but are pure hokum (a certain one popular with actors comes to mind). That way, rational folk such as you and I won't think about it deeply enough to discover The Real Truth.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 04:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

I agree with most of what you say however I discourage people to get into paranormal and occult activity due to lack of knowledge and stupidity.

To make something VERY clear - witches, warlocks, spells, magik, Wiccan, levitations, RELIGIONS, MOST OCCULT practices are spiritual based to name a FEW. Any magik or paranormal activity comes from the spiritual worlds. NO ONE can call out anything magik without 100% support from a spiritual being or beings. Mortal beings can not do this alone and NEVER could.

So like I said to the OP ..... so he wants to play in the spiritual world and I suggest he stop right now because like you said he does not know..... and that is the way it should stay unless he wants to destroy his life or accidentally get someone killed.... like maybe himself...

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Not yet, but it looks interesting thank you.

How can I use it rather than just reading about it.a reply to: Akragon

you have to read about it to use it...

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 05:00 AM
link   

You know you could learn a lot about magic, spells, chanting, divination and the occult just by googling it. For someone that has no idea about it id suggest googling and reading about what i mentioned above to build a greater knowledge and understanding about it before delving into it.

I know you say you just want to start doing it straight away but you need to learn about it before doing it. You have to walk before you run so to speak, just doing it without any knowledge in what your doing is like talking to a brick wall and hoping it talks back, lol

edit on 10 1 2017 by ParanoidCovKid because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 05:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

You could look into the spirits of Goetia

im not suggesting this is a good idea...

by the way

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join