It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New South Wales Australia heat wave.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 11:09 PM
link   
As many of you in the Northern Hemisphere have been freezing especially in the Pacific Northwest weird weather continues here down under as well,you may of read BeReasonables thread the other day about Sydney which is in New South Wales as having its hottest year on record last year.

Well the fun continues this week a seven day heatwave will descend on Sydney with temperatures reaching 42 degrees celcius elsewhere in New South Wales it will get to 47 degrees,thats 116.6 Farenheit.

HERE IS THE LINK.http://

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: khnum

This is just a typical Australian summer. It gets hot down under.

You may wish to double check via another source. Sydney's weather this week is nothing like the article seems to suggest and I could not find any temps predicted at 47 C.

Even so, these high temps are not at all unusual for the interior of Australia.

This is just more fear mongering and typical of that source.

P

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Sydney is on a coast,and yep the central regions get hot I hear. We are looking at a cyclone last time I checked the extended forecast here in nz,very different weather here this year,and last year was our hottest ever as well.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 11:27 PM
link   

I know it gets hot here especially in Melbourne and Adelaide they get to the 40's regularly now Sydney itself the CBD will be 37 degrees its outer areas they are predicting 42 for what concerns me is the asthma warning due to ozone,I always thought you could never have too much of that but apparently according to the article you can,the Sydney Morning Herald mightn't be The Australian but its not Murdoch tabloid press like the Courier Mail where I live,Id say the story is legit.
edit on 9-1-2017 by khnum because: boo boo

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 11:31 PM
link   

The 47 degrees is for Bourke which is inland

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 11:41 PM
link   
been a pretty average summer so far here in Adelaide.

Make a thread when Sydney beats these stats

March 2008 heatwave Graph showing daily maximum and minimum temperatures in Adelaide during record heat wave in 2008. Between 3 March and 17 March 2008 Adelaide recorded 15 consecutive days of 35 °C (95 °F) or above, and 13 consecutive days of 37.8 °C (100.0 °F) or above — both records for an Australian capital city.

January–February 2009. During January and February 2009 Adelaide was affected by the early 2009 southeastern Australia heat wave. The heatwave broke numerous records and affected all of south-eastern Australia, including Melbourne, another southern Australian city, where some outdoor games were cancelled during the 2009 Australian Open. The heatwave commenced in Adelaide on 26 January 2009 (Australia Day), with a temperature of 36.6 °C (98 °F). From 27 January the temperature soared above 40 °C (104 °F) degrees for 6 consecutive days, until 2 February where the temperature dropped to 38.8 °C (102 °F). This is the longest straight run of 40 °C (104 °F) temperatures in Adelaide. On 28 January, the third day into the heatwave, the temperature reached 45.7 °C (114 °F), making it the third-hottest day on record in Adelaide. On that same night, the temperature only dipped to 33.9 °C (93 °F), making it the highest minimum temperature on record in South Australia (since surpassed). The maximum temperatures stayed higher than 30 °C (86 °F) for another six days, including two more 40-degree-plus days (6 and 7 February) until dropping back to 24.8 °C (77 °F) on 8 February 2009.

November 2009 heatwave. Adelaide was affected by the late 2009 southeastern Australia heatwave which occurred in the states of South Australia, Victoria and New South Wales. Daily maximum temperatures during the heat wave were roughly 10 °C (50 °F) above average in many locations. Capital cities Adelaide and Melbourne recorded temperatures over 40 °C (104 °F) and 35 °C (95 °F), respectively, which are unusual for November. Above-average temperatures in the region began in late October and persisted until mid-November 2009. Temperature records for November in Adelaide set during the heatwave: 10 consecutive days over 30 °C (86 °F). 8 consecutive days over 35 °C (95 °F) – new record set on 13 November, breaking the previous record of 4 consecutive days, which was set in 1894.[10] 6 consecutive days over 38 °C (100 °F) – breaking the previous record of 3 consecutive days, which was set in 1888, 1922 and 1984.[11] Hottest November day – 43.0 °C (109.4 °F) on 19 November 2009 at 4:32pm ACDT, breaking the previous record of 42.0 °C (107.6 °F) set on 13 November 1993.[12]

Summer 2013–2014 Adelaide heatwave. The summer of 2013–2014 was the second-hottest on record.[13] Records for Adelaide set during the 2013–2014 summer heatwave (beginning in December) include:[14] Hottest February day – 44.7 °C (112.5 °F) on 2 February 2014. Record number of days exceeding 40 °C (104 °F) during the summer months (December, January and February) – 13 so far. Record number of days exceeding 42 °C (108 °F) during a calendar year - 9 so far. Record number of consecutive days exceeding 42 °C (108 °F) – 5.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 11:49 PM
link   
The 35 we are due here in Brisbane is balmy compared to that,used to live in Coramandel as a kid way back 67-8 or so a big red dust storm came through I suppose you still sometimes get that

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Coramandel in NZ ?

The dust storm would have come from Oz.

34c here on mid Nth Coast NSW atm ... the sound of cicadas make it feel hotter.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 01:30 AM
link   

To quote the Australian Bereau of Meteorolgy... ( which I am yet to b convinced is a fake news site, no propaganda, but SCIENCE....duh duh duh)

Australia’s climate in 2016 Australia's fourth-warmest year on record, with the annual national mean temperature 0.87 °C above average Ocean temperatures the warmest on record for the Australian region, with an annual mean sea surface temperature 0.73 °C above average March and autumn as a whole were the warmest on record for Australian mean temperature Amongst the ten warmest years on record for Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria, Tasmania and the Northern Territory Rainfall was above average for most of Australia, but below average for areas of the northern coasts between the Gascoyne in Western Australia and Townsville in Queensland, and pockets of coastal southeast Queensland and northeastern New South Wales Nationally-averaged rainfall was 17% above average for the year, at 544.99 mm (1961–1990 average 465.2 mm) A strong El Niño influenced Australia’s climate at the beginning of the year, before breaking down during autumn A strong negative Indian Ocean Dipole influenced Australia’s climate from May to November The central tropical Pacific approached La Niña thresholds during spring, but a La Niña did not develop

It gets hot down under, but this is definately not the comfortable heat I am used to.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 01:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: hiddenNZ

Sydney is on a coast,and yep the central regions get hot I hear. We are looking at a cyclone last time I checked the extended forecast here in nz,very different weather here this year,and last year was our hottest ever as well.

Sydney may be on the coast but i remember 06 it hit 44 where i was Sydney itself hit 42, Either way it can get bloody hot.

The mercury at Sydney's official weather station at Observatory Hill stopped rising at 4.24pm just short of the previous record, 45.3 degrees, registered on January 14, 1939.

source

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I used to hate the heat but after 6+ years in SE Asia Aussie heat isnt to bad.

Another good thing is Im in Melbs so even when its 40+ degrees you know a thunderstorm isnt that far away haha

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 02:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: khnum
Well the fun continues this week a seven day heatwave will descend on Sydney with temperatures reaching 42 degrees celcius elsewhere in New South Wales it will get to 47 degrees,thats 116.6 Farenheit.

I remember a 43 degree Celsius day back in 1994 (in Sydney). It was the day I got so terribly sunburnt that after the skin peeled away, I hatched freckles everlasting upon my face.

Either way, I'll just be paraphrasing all the other Australians in this thread when I say that "this is just typical Australian weather". Where I live (somewhere in inner Queensland) it's actually currently 1.5 degrees below average for this time of year. It'll be a steady string of 38's in a few days, but nothing out of the ordinary.

edit on 10 1 2017 by kaelci because: added clarification

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Well that can be as deadly as freezing temps.
Stay cool and hydrated.

I'm sleeping with a sweater over my nightgown. I get out of bed and my feet go into fluffy warm slippers because wood floors are beautiful but cold.

I'm in the southeast USA and there is ten inches of snow in my yard which should be the snow total for a year here but fell in one night.
BRRRRR

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 03:22 AM
link   
a reply to: oddnutz

Thankyou Oddy.

There must be a lot of young Ozzies on this site, that havent experienced too many summers.

A "Heatwave" as defined in Australia, is minimum of 5 days above the temperature of 35deg Celcius.

The fact is, we use to have heatwaves Every Summer, Particularly in the Central part of the country (S.A.).

We have recently, in actual fact, had very mild summers, after the scorcher drought of the 90s.....a decade where "Experts" said we would never see rain again after the year 2000, the poles would melt, and coastal cities would be underwater by 2010....well, we all know where that theory went......
As a kid in the 60s, teen in the 70s and sex maniac in the 80s....I vividly remember our Summer Heatwaves........
For the Past 10 years....they have been less frequent, to the point of disappearing.

Now, unfortunately, when we have 1 or 2 hot days....suddenly its a heat wave and we are all going to die.
It is Cooler now, than its been for ages in my part of the country.
And, as people have probably forgotten, it Snowed in Melbourne on Christmas day in 2006....the middle of Summer!!!!!
(And was Freezing in Adelaide).
edit on 10-1-2017 by gort51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 03:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: gort51
And, as people have probably forgotten, it Snowed in Melbourne on Christmas day in 2006....the middle of Summer!!!!!

i dont remember snow.. but i remember bloody hail stones the size of fricking golf balls destroying my car!!!!!!!!!!!!
edit on 10-1-2017 by choos because: tennis => golf balls, slight exaggeration.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 03:43 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I grew up in Blacktown, in the summer of 94' it hit mid 40's. There were massive fires throughout the Blue Mountains and burning embers would travel 50kms east in the wind and was landing in house roof gutters, some embers even started fires in those houses.

In Queensland now.... i don't miss Sydney to be honest.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 03:45 AM
link   
a reply to: gort51

Totally agree with your post Gort.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 03:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: choos

originally posted by: gort51

i dont remember snow.. but i remember bloody hail stones the size of fricking golf balls destroying my car!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your original quote of tennis sized balls is not far from the truth mate, Western Sydney got hail the size of tennis balls around that year, some of the hail stones were even fused together,, scary stuff. Auto windscreen industry was stoked for about 6 months round my parts lol.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 03:53 AM
link   
a reply to: scubagravy

I was in pennant hills then, Blacktown must have been a couple of degrees hotter, 94 im pretty sure thats when it rained ash for days and the sun glowed red..

I'm on the Queensland/ NSW border and yeah man i do not miss Sydney one little bit

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Freezing here in Vancouver BC.
We've had so much snow this year and people are going crazy, knocking people over, trying to take truck loads instead of bucket loads, when they gave away free salt, because our roads and sidewalks were so icy.

Then some people took dump trucks to the beaches to steal that sand!

The rest of Canada is always like this. We just aren't used to it. Except today it got up to plus 3 C and I felt quite warm lol

Back on topic , I though down under was always known as being too hot.

It regularly gets up to 45 C in the summer further inland in BC in the okanagan.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join