It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Handmaid's Tale: American Woman, Islamicized

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Namdru

Or the common enemy is misogyny and/or gender control? Let's not forget that there have been religious matriarchies as well, like the Kandake royal system in Ethiopia.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: reldra
The Handmaid's Tale is not about American women being 'Islamicized'. I have no idea where you got that. It is the story of a totalitarian theocracy that comes to power, a Christian Totalitarian Theocracy. The Hulu series hasn't changed that theme.

You should read the book. I have multiple times.

I don't think it necessarily mentions either religion.

It's rather like Collins' dystopian Hunger Games in that sense. You read what you most fear into it. You can see Christianity in it if that's what you most fear. So tell us what you really fear, Reldra. Those who see the potential for life under Islam are signalling that they think it has more potential to reduce us to those conditions than Christianity.

The book quotes from the Bible multiple times. Especially in regard to being a Handmaid. Please read the book before just saying ''I think" or "Don't think".

I do not want to see one more person use the word signalling.
edit on 8-1-2017 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: ketsuko

I read the book many moons ago in high school.
Wow, 30 years,,,,I'm old.
Anyway I remember it as more of a hodgepodge of religion in general.
Basicly a warning for women.
Although much of the book was very Islam like.
Women can't read,
Dress codes,
Etc, etc.

Your memory is not that clear. I read it for the 4th or 5th time last month. It is not Islam-like.

SEE MY AVATAR.
edit on 8-1-2017 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

I clearly remember thinking the book wasn't really worth reading again.
To each their own I guess..

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Great movie... never read the book... from what I understand though the story is based on an fundamentalist christian regime:

The new regime, the Republic of Gilead, moves quickly to consolidate its power and reorganize society along a new militarized, hierarchical, compulsory regime of Old Testament-inspired social and religious fanaticism among its newly created social classes. In this society, human rights are severely limited and women's rights are unrecognized as almost all women are forbidden to read.

Gilead's treatment of women is based upon a narrow, fundamentalist interpretation of the Bible, meaning that women are the property of and subordinate to their husband, father, or head of household.

en.wikipedia.org...'s_Tale

I don't know where islam comes into play. Don't know what the OP is on.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 03:23 AM
link   

SEE MY AVATAR.

Lol I knew that was from handmaids tale Reldra... knew it way before. I only recognize that actor from that movie.

I think the most horrifying scene in that movie is when Offred is, well, 'fertlized'. She's just there pressured into doing it. Horrifying... and I'm a guy.... being a woman under such a regime... scary... and yet what many conservative politicians here propose is right on path to such a regime in my humble opinion.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 03:27 AM
link   
to the people who say - " it could never happen here "

i has one reply - desperate times promote desperate measures

you REALLY REALLY need to read the book - to understand the back story that spawned " gillead "

infact reading the book should be a condition of thread participation

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 03:30 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

I take it the book is better than the movie? If it is, I may find some time and download it on my Kindle.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 05:13 AM
link   
It is a very good book, worth reading. A very clear warning of the path America could be on if the hard right religious fundamentalists aren't controlled.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

Or the common enemy is misogyny and/or gender control? Let's not forget that there have been religious matriarchies as well, like the Kandake royal system in Ethiopia.

Agreed. Or let us use 'misanthropy', if the _anthro_ could be understood non-gender specifically, as a term meaning "failure to appreciate the value of human existence".

With that proviso, may I say, power structures and hierarchies are natural. There is no way to impose degrees of correctness on human society without enslaving it, to one degree or another. Our nature is to be imperfect and strive for perfection. The path is the goal -- not an ideological solution to the presently imperfect state of human nature, for which there is simply none, IMO.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Namdru

originally posted by: neformore

Where does the link you have included mention islam?

You are making an untrue claim in your thread title.

I took poetic license but do study current events, what people really are concerned about, and also, what the timing of this series on Hulu indicates. It does not, to my mind, reflect a fear that a s***-talking president elect who grabs ass will institute a theocracy or anything of the sort in America. It does reflect, I believe (in its timing, not its source only) an awareness of the threat that Islamic theocracy poses to Western civilization. And it does so by the very clever ruse of using women's identity and rights, as well as a Christian reactionary subtext, in a futuristic fictional setting.

A highly encoded message, but to my mind, the timing of the series says it all.

The timing is that the President elect will nominate a right wing Supreme court justice, that his VP is anti women;s rights and that more and more of those in power will be the same. THAT is the TIMING in the article.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: reldra

I clearly remember thinking the book wasn't really worth reading again.
To each their own I guess..

It is a very good book and you have a poor memory of it. Often books read in high school or even college are better the second time around.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian

SEE MY AVATAR.

Lol I knew that was from handmaids tale Reldra... knew it way before. I only recognize that actor from that movie.

I think the most horrifying scene in that movie is when Offred is, well, 'fertlized'. She's just there pressured into doing it. Horrifying... and I'm a guy.... being a woman under such a regime... scary... and yet what many conservative politicians here propose is right on path to such a regime in my humble opinion.

I find the scene where a handmaid is hung and they force a whole bunch of other handmaids to pull up the rope to be more horrifying. But the 'taking Offred on her lap' scene comes close.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join