It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Roadkill advice, Muntjac deer(very small uk deer.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Bit of a hit and run post here(see what I did there)

I have just picked up a muntjac from the side of the road, it was not there an hour and a half before and no visible signs of injury.

I have dealt with plenty of game and small roadkill but never a deer so what should I look out for?

It's almost freezing outside andit has been dead less than 2 hours is it too late to bleed and skin it already?

Just got to rig up something and give it a go anyways...

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Go all "Dexter" on the thing.

Plenty of plastic sheeting on the floor and slice her open. 2 hours is absolutely fine.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Ensure the bowels are intact, string it up skin it but it and bleed it. Inspect the meat for brushing. If it looks good and healthy I'd say you're fine. There is only one other caveot I can think of. If it died of disease it would also look as you stated...Like not damaged at all. If hit by a car bones will be broken somewhere...If it died of disease you won't find a cause of death visually most likely. Be aware as you process it. If it looks too clean it may be wise to not eat.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

Plenty of plastic sheeting on the floor and slice her open. 2 hours is absolutely fine.

Thought so but figured it was best to double check with a load of certified loonies first!

Just to confirm that ths is a munty and not some weird family pet.

OBVIOUSLY A PIC OF A DEAD ANIMAL.....

Link

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   

tick tock

you need to get the vicera out - and drain the blood

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Hang it up by the rear hooves, cut the throat and bleed it asap. If the blood is coagulating, you can still gut, skin and butcher the meat.

Whatever you do don't puncture the intestines or stomach.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD

Ensure the bowels are intact, string it up skin it but it and bleed it. Inspect the meat for brushing. If it looks good and healthy I'd say you're fine. There is only one other caveot I can think of. If it died of disease it would also look as you stated...Like not damaged at all. If hit by a car bones will be broken somewhere...If it died of disease you won't find a cause of death visually most likely. Be aware as you process it. If it looks too clean it may be wise to not eat.

That was my other concern, I have dealt with dozens of culled carcasas so skinning buthcering ect not an issue but never roadkill other than obviously splatted rabbits and pheasants ect.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Stop poaching on the queens land and calling it roadkill dude

The eyes makes me think its an alien with four eyes in that pic...

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Before what i've done is find a local butcher and let them have a share for the effort of the butchery in the morning. Game quite often will take weeks to hang properly anyway so an evening or two won't really make much effort just nick its neck and pop it out of the way of the local wildlife and job done.

You could make black pudding if you fancy it but you'll need to start sharpish really and keep it in doors but if you're hanging it outside then cut and drain the blood and let it rest.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

Thought so but figured it was best to double check with a load of certified loonies first!

Just to confirm that ths is a munty and not some weird family pet.

OBVIOUSLY A PIC OF A DEAD ANIMAL.....

Link

Poor little guy, got that 'deer in the headlights' look once too often. Who needs to hunt anymore, just drive around pre dawn on roads in deer country.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent

Does look a bit freaky in the pic, as to poaching if I knew how it died the first you guys would know was the pics of the finished dish

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Haha, you missed him, but I got him wth the door.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   

If you dont mind a bit of gory stuff i'd consider a swapsies for the larger skeletal bits and back and leg sinews.

Eta: i may be in for the hide too if it' s unwanted
edit on 7-1-2017 by skalla because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria
Before what i've done is find a local butcher and let them have a share for the effort of the butchery in the morning. Game quite often will take weeks to hang properly anyway so an evening or two won't really make much effort just nick its neck and pop it out of the way of the local wildlife and job done.

You could make black pudding if you fancy it but you'll need to start sharpish really and keep it in doors but if you're hanging it outside then cut and drain the blood and let it rest.

I have man flu right now and lots of experience with butchery it was more the bleeding and gutting I was concerned about.

Never tried munty black pudding, mght be a plan with one with a better pedigree.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: skalla

If you dont mind a bit of gory stuff i'd consider a swapsies for the larger skeletal bits and back and leg sinews.

Eta: i may be in for the hide too if it' s unwanted

I had a red deer a few years ago and gave the skin to the local witch who nailed it to her shed to ward off the evil intentions of a nasty neighbour and piss them off when nosing over the fence!

Not sure how I could get a skull to you, I am in gloucestershire?

I could bury it for a while and if your coming to the meat up could drop it off later in the year?

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Don't feel sorry for it, it's an invasive especies eating the forest, nonspecific is doing his civic duty eating the monster.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Haha, you missed him, but I got him wth the door.

# he's only stunned, BACK UP BACK UP LEFT A BIT.....

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   
For those unawarte of the species here's what you get.

This guy by the way is well worth adding on youtube as a bang on butcher.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   
should be said that there are only certain places to dine

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   

I'm unlikely to be free to go to hudds at easter, but i'm in the black country and gloucestershire is an easy drive, i expect we could work something out meeting wise and swapsie wise. Burying the skull would probably do it, it's the most neighbour friendly way.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join