It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Humanitarian crisis' in NHS hospitals, warns Red Cross

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 04:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: tikbalang
a reply to: gortex
Anything to verify it on?

I live in the country in which it is happening.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 04:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: PhyllidaDavenport
Many staff are foreign with not particularly good English skills and for older people, the staff are difficult to understand. We have Romanian Nurses, Philippino Nurses, Portuguese Nurses but very few English ones.

And why do you think the NHS relies heavily on foreign nurses? (and foreign doctors too).

Why do you think many developed countries (such as UK, US, Canada, Australia) are desperate for nurses and employ large numbers of non-nationals?

The NHS goals should be training - recruitment and retention of UK nurses. Why do you think the UK is failing to do so?

....This is a recipe for disaster and human error due to misunderstandings is rife.

Strange how this ^^ doesn't happen in the NHS hospital where I work.

old people in bed for days without water

Again, I don't see this where I work and I a work in an elderly ward where every patient have a fluid chart and oral intake is strictly monitored.

Perhaps you should come and work with us and get a real insight of how NHS staff works. Or come and talk to our patients and families. Our hospital has a rating of 4.5, almost 100% of positive reviews, and half of our staff are foreign.

I don't know what 'horror' stories you have experienced, but just because your area has poor services doesn't mean the rest of the UK does.

I love the NHS and it's one of the best health services in the world, people should help to keep it alive instead of just moaning (and I am not directing this to you specifically, this is something I keep on saying to all those who complain about it).

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 04:11 AM
link   

a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport

Is this opinion, assumptions or fact?

Fact

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 04:12 AM
link   

a reply to: RAY1990

So where would you go? A private helicopter to a special clinic in Switzerland ?

A & E

I said that earlier, even mentioned my own case.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 04:12 AM
link   

So opinion? Thanks for clearing that out

(post by tikbalang removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 04:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Agartha

All I can say is thank you for your services.

The hours are hell and the pay isn't enough, I agree on your comments about training. My sister wanted to be a nurse, she cares for elderly... She'd be a nurse if it was easier for her, she was pregnant and needed a paying job soon rather than later.
edit on 7-1-2017 by RAY1990 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 04:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Misterlondon

An opinion does not make anything into fact, does it?

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 04:20 AM
link   

post removed by staff

Firstly I would assess my situation, if I'm bleeding and/or delirious I clearly should phone 999.

Then the first responder would assess my situation and they would take me to A & E.

As said before... I'll repeat it in hopes you understand, anything that requires urgent attention would be dealt with ultimately at ACCIDENT AND EMERGENCY.

A & E.
edit on Sat Jan 7 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 04:21 AM
link   

sister wanted to be a nurse, she cares for elderly... She'd be a nurse if it was easier for her,

You want it to be easier? there are private companies that pays for the education if you qualify for it, or should anyone invest in something and then get nothing?

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 04:23 AM
link   

No, you wouldn't. But I'm sure you believe you would

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 04:25 AM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

It had nothing to do with cost and everything to do with time, you'd realise that if you read my post.

link   

So opinion? Thanks for clearing that out

Shame you don't have access to the internet as you could educate yourself before making stupid statements.

NHS bosses throughout England are quietly drawing up plans for hospital closures, cutbacks and radical changes to the way healthcare is delivered in an attempt to meet spiralling demand and plug the hole in their finances, an investigation by the Guardian and campaign group 38 Degrees has revealed.
www.theguardian.com...

link   

You could try the NHS

link to nhs's own a&e figures

This has been running on the national news for years - it can only be a surprise if you never watch/listen to the news and have no friends/family who work in the NHs or don't know anybody who has had to use the bigger hospitals.

Just the other night there were 20 ambulances queueing outside Porstmouth hospital for hours waiting to unload emergency patients - I see this time and time again on the news.

Also as was mentioned above many people holiday to the UK to make use of our NHS, again well documented and a previous govt even brought in legislation so that the costs could be recharged to that persons country(rarely invoked) if you want to check the figures they are easily searchable.

This website is good for UK statistics:
Office for National Statistics

Warning you may lose several hours if you like stats

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 04:29 AM
link   

What are you alluding to?

I've been injured a few times, every time it was required I ended up in accident & emergency.

Once of my own accord others by being transported via ambulance. I'll add that once I had no wait and was seen instantly, though that was a more "extreme" case and required urgent attention.

Accident & Emergency was above the door.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 04:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990
All I can say is thank you for your services.

The hours are hell and the pay isn't enough, I agree on your comments about training. NY sister wanted to be a nurse, she cares for elderly... She'd be a nurse if it was easier for her, she was pregnant and needed a paying job soon rather than later.

You are welcome, but I do the job because I love it despite the fact that, just like you said, we work really hard and we don't get paid enough.

I understand why your sister decided not to go to uni, the training is really hard but if she works for the NHS she could try to become a nursing associate.

Many UK nurses left the UK after their training and emigrated to different countries, Australia and the US being the most popular destinations. When I asked why, the answer was always the same: more money and less hours.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 04:33 AM
link   
a reply to: johnb

I looked through briefly, you make a statement and then an opinion, sourcing something that does not verify a single claim you just did..

Or you could source the actual statistics you want me to see?
Which wasn't in there..

Don't take me for an idiot, I actually go through papers I receive..

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 04:34 AM
link   

I'm gonna take this as an opinion since it's subjective.. You see, more people in this world than you.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 04:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Agartha

She works for a private company but she is trying to get on the NHS and hasn't got rid of the idea of going to uni once the little one is in school.

It's a damn shame about people moving to other countries to work though I can't blame them one bit. Weather alone would cement it for me, it shouldn't be a case of they are better off abroad but the sad truth is they are.

Same reason many come here, it's human instinct.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 04:42 AM
link   

I'm gonna take this as an opinion since it's subjective.. You see, more people in this world than you.

Opinion? It's fact.

I have plenty of scars with little dots surrounding them indicative of stitching, they were removed elsewhere but were placed by medical staff in a hospital. A part of the hospital that just happens to be called A & E.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join