It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A&E Cancels Fake TV Documentary About the KKK

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   

A&E will conduct an investigation to find out how the company they hired produced what is believed to be a fake TV documentary about the KKK. The subjects of the KKK documentary said significant portions were fabricated by the producers.

It wasn’t as if the production company thought it was a reality show, they knew it was meant to be a hard-hitting series.

The American people can’t believe the mainstream news and they can’t believe TV documentaries. In fact, believe nothing.

www.independentsentinel.com...

Well I guess there isn't enough legit white racism to go around. Is this how far people are willing to go to usher in their view of "truth"? More at the link.
edit on 6-1-2017 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   
All other news says it was cancelled because the production paid cash to the KKK to gain access and A&E has told civil rights groups that it did not paid any member of the KKK, when it was found that the production did paid they cancel for fear of backlash, but your source says it paid to fake KKK activities...

umm who would i believe, everyone or the one right winged blog.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

Well I guess there isn't enough legit white racism to go around.

There is enough to make a documentary about for sure. You could do a documentary for bigotry out of any demographic. Not enough though to validate the narrative there is nearly the amount to their claims.

But the (mainstream) media has gotten to cocky, lazy, and have to much of an agenda to provide any quality information at this point.

It is what it is.
edit on 6-1-2017 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent

I think that sort of sums up most of America's issues right there.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

There is enough to make a documentary about for sure. You could do a documentary for bigotry out of any demographic. Not enough though to validate the narrative there is nearly the amount to their claims.

To be fair, bigotry is not synonymous with racism. They mean different things--racism, IMO, is bigotry taken to many more levels of ignorance and hatred.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   

You believe neither, especially over something so damn trivial. But you appear to have done your due diligence in researching the "why" behind the cancellation. so you're coming to the best conclusion, I guess.

But, let's take this into consideration:

Variety (a magazine I hope to never quote again) posted this article on Dec. 24, which basically states:

The network said it had learned from producers Friday night that “cash payments — which we currently understand to be nominal — were made in the field to some participants in order to facilitate access,” in a prepared statement released just hours before the start of Christmas Eve. “While we stand behind the intent of the series and the seriousness of the content, these payments are a direct violation of A&E’s policies and practices for a documentary. We had previously provided assurances to the public and to our core partners – including the Anti-Defamation League and Color of Change – that no payment was made to hate group members, and we believed that to be the case at the time. We have now decided not to move forward with airing this project.”

But then you have [url=http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/kkk-leaders-allege-producers-paid-them-to-fake-scenes-in-canceled-ae-documentary-exclusive-1201950078/]Variety[/u rl] publishing this article on Dec. 30--six days after the first one claiming that the payment was for access to the KKK. It says:

The subjects of a TV documentary series about the Ku Klux Klan abruptly canceled last week by A&E allege to Variety that significant portions of what was filmed were fabricated by the producers.

Some KKK leaders divulged that they were paid hundreds of dollars in cash each day of filming to compel them on camera to distort the facts of their lives to fit the documentary’s predetermined narrative: tension between Klan members and relatives of theirs who wanted to get out of the Klan.

The findings are based on an exclusive Variety investigation based on interviews with over two dozen individuals in and around the KKK who cooperated with the documentary in at least six U.S. states.

The KKK leaders who were interviewed by Variety detailed how they were wooed with promises the program would capture the truth about life in the organization; encouraged not to file taxes on cash payments for agreeing to participate in the filming; presented with pre-scripted fictional story scenarios; instructed what to say on camera; asked to misrepresent their actual identities, motivations and relationships with others, and re-enacted camera shoots repeatedly until the production team was satisfied.

The production team even paid for material and equipment to construct and burn wooden crosses and Nazi swastikas, according to multiple sources including Richard Nichols, who is one of the featured subjects of the documentary series as the Grand Dragon of a KKK cell known as the Tennessee White Knights of the Invisible Empire. He also said he was encouraged by a producer to use the epithet “'n-word'” in interviews.

So, basically, there's more to the story than just the initial release from A&E, it would seem. Same source, at different times, report different things, one prior to their own investigation, and another scenario after.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

To be fair, bigotry is not synonymous with racism. They mean different things--racism, IMO, is bigotry taken to many more levels of ignorance and hatred.

Agree to disagree. Bigotry is the intolerance of any belief other than your own.

I don't mean people who get heated in debates, I'm talking about people who literally look down on and dismiss other people just because they are different.

So if you're bigoted against someone for religion, what is the difference of skin color at this point? Because they can choose religion? Many would say they can't. I say that as an agnostic.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

I think that sort of sums up most of America's issues right there.

quoted for truth.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   
90% of reality shows are fake. It's not very likely this one was intended to be anything different.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Hah. Scientologistsvare saying that it was because of Leah Remini's documentary expose on the church.

Here.

Go figure.

edit on 1/6/2017 by ColdWisdom because: Russians

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Right, but racism is it's own sort of hyper-focused super bigotry, where the basic definition of the word means that you believe that you are superior to other people based solely on the color of your skin versus the color of theirs.

Regardless, we can agree that both bigotry and racism suck and move on, yeah?

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Absolutely, and I see all instances as isolated and no way reflecting any group they are "associated" with.

We'll always have ignorant assholes, just the way of the world. They are exclusive to no "group".

new topics

top topics

join