It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Industry 4.0 - fourth industrial revolution

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Fourth Industrial Revolution

Industry 4.0 is the current trend of automation and data exchange in manufacturing technologies. It includes cyber-physical systems, the Internet of things and cloud computing.[1][2][3]

Industry 4.0 creates what has been called a "smart factory". Within the modular structured smart factories, cyber-physical systems monitor physical processes, create a virtual copy of the physical world and make decentralized decisions. Over the Internet of Things, cyber-physical systems communicate and cooperate with each other and with humans in real time, and via the Internet of Services, both internal and cross-organizational services are offered and used by participants of the value chain.[1]

The first industrial revolution mobilised the mechanization of production using water and steam power; the second industrial revolution then introduced mass production with the help of electric power, followed by the digital revolution and the use of electronics and IT to further automate production.[5] The term "fourth industrial revolution" has been applied to significant technological developments several times over the last 75 years, and is up for academic debate. - wikipedia

Think super computers, AI robots, self-driving cars, neuro-technological advancement, gene-editing and more.

Transhumanism is the next step in our evolution. Instead of thinking it's bad let's think about the positive impact they have already for people.

Prosthetic heart

Prosthetic limbs

Aritificial Intelligence Robots

Why should this be seen as bad? People should be embracing this!

Other solutions that a fourth industrial revolution would bring:

There are 4 design principles in Industry 4.0. These principles support companies in identifying and implementing Industry 4.0 scenarios.[1]

- Interoperability: The ability of machines, devices, sensors, and people to connect and communicate with each other via the Internet of Things (IoT) or the Internet of People (IoP).

- Information transparency: The ability of information systems to create a virtual copy of the physical world by enriching digital plant models with sensor data. This requires the aggregation of raw sensor data to higher-value context information.

- Technical assistance: First, the ability of assistance systems to support humans by aggregating and visualizing information comprehensibly for making informed decisions and solving urgent problems on short notice. Second, the ability of cyber physical systems to physically support humans by conducting a range of tasks that are unpleasant, too exhausting, or unsafe for their human co-workers.

- Decentralized decisions: The ability of cyber physical systems to make decisions on their own and to perform their tasks as autonomously as possible. Only in the case of exceptions, interferences, or conflicting goals, are tasks delegated to a higher level. - wikipedia

China's Tianhe-2 -- world's fastest supercomputer

Gene Editing

On a more lighter note there's also a lot of entertainment value that you can already see with tech. Virtual Reality being a major one. They can not only be used for entertainment but as learning tools.

Playstation Virtual Reality demo with head tracking

Who knows maybe even mind-uploading will happen in the future?

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 12:40 AM
link   
And Skynet God to hook all of it and all of the robotized humans connected as one hive!

Cool little series you have here. You should ink in your others parts connect them together as one.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 12:53 AM
link   
a reply to: supermilkman

Good luck on trying to hype this!! It is a valiant effort. The future will come with or without us and will survive us perfectly well if we aren't around.

Vertical farming is just smart as is aqua farming. But people's minds are not ready.

Technology is bitching (as someone here on ATS said to me) but there is still the problems of people that don't want to contribute and druggies. Two extremes that tech can't solve.

The only true disruptive tech is fusion. Then we either kill ourselves or we go Star Trek.

Give ten to twenty years to find out.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Any break away from fossil fuels can only be a good thing

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 01:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
And Skynet God to hook all of it and all of the robotized humans connected as one hive!

Cool little series you have here. You should ink in your others parts connect them together as one.

I don't know how to link but I'll try to figure it out. My long term goal is actually writing code and instructions. Right now I'm just spreading information but eventually I'd like to create something.

And DARPA is like Star Wars. Military and secret government technology is light years ahead of civilian access. Species in other galaxies are basically inter-dimensional but that's another story.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 01:23 AM
link   
There are certain aspects I'd welcome such as that help out humanity as whole and that add to the "entertainment" aspect of our lives such as VR. More functional prosthetic limbs would be a great advancement-got to check out the Prosthetics Dept. when I was on college, pretty fascinating.

However, such as with self driving cars for example, so far, seem to be risky. Gene editing when taken to certain extremes(beyond health issues) can add a sort of unfair reaction, see the movie Brave New World. "Mind-uploading" I'd be for a sort of neural dock system that is less invasive, more so the possibly a non surgical option- waves sent to the brain instead? How about growing a heart in a lab from your own cells("Scientists grow transplantable hearts with stem cells") instead of having a foreign mechanically aided one?

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 01:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Good luck on trying to hype this!! It is a valiant effort. The future will come with or without us and will survive us perfectly well if we aren't around.

Vertical farming is just smart as is aqua farming. But people's minds are not ready.

Technology is bitching (as someone here on ATS said to me) but there is still the problems of people that don't want to contribute and druggies. Two extremes that tech can't solve.

The only true disruptive tech is fusion. Then we either kill ourselves or we go Star Trek.

Give ten to twenty years to find out.

I think the science has always been there. It's just a matter of having people become aware of it.

There's arguments on whether people created mathematics or that mathematics always existed and some eventually figure out it's existence. I think with physical science there is magical formulas in existence that if one were to figure out they could do some impressive things.

This is my thinking of the world: let's say someone becomes telepathic. Now that they're telepathic they can stream all of this information in real time. What if telepathy would include contact with other species or entities in the universe? One could learn mind-blowing information.

So like you said, evolution is going to happen whether people are aware of it or not. It's like a tree falling in a forest; yes, it still makes a sound even if you don't hear it. As for me I'm going to continue studying. If others don't then that's on them.

The only way we could get the masses to be in agreement is if we became communist and micro-managed (which nobody really wants.)

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 01:37 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

By the way there is some technology suppression for obvious reasons. It would be dangerous in the wrong hands.

It's suppose to be used to improve our lives but currently we're using them as weapons and enslaving people. Humans are actually pretty barbaric. We're too war mongering. Species in other galaxies don't even want us to get involved with them because they think we're dangerous.

So people have to change their attitudes on many things. Especially about violence.
edit on 6-1-2017 by supermilkman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 01:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

Yes, fossil fuels is on its last legs. They were (are) necessary for it's time but it's time to move on.

Check this out

How much oil is left? In June, BP provided an intriguing update to its global oil reserves estimates in the company's yearly review of energy statistics. It raised its reserve estimate by 1.1% to 1,687.9 billion barrels – just enough oil to last the world 53.3 years at the current production rates. - IBTimes UK

So I guess we have about 50 or so years left of fossil fuels. If we're to be realistic however it would be less than that considering our consumption rates.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Hold on there's more.

According to the Institute of Mechanical Engineers, there are 1.3 trillion barrels of proven oil reserve left in the world's major fields, which at present rates of consumption should last 40 years. However, the organisation also emphasises that by 2040, production levels may be down to 15 million barrels per day – just 20% of what we currently consume. By that time, it is probable that the world's population will be double what it is today and much more industrialised, and therefore oil dependent. - IBTimes UK

So yeah, I'd say we would have less than 50 years of oil considering our consumption rate.

We need to start shifting to renewable biofuels, electric vehicles, hydrogen fuel cell etc.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 01:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
There are certain aspects I'd welcome such as that help out humanity as whole and that add to the "entertainment" aspect of our lives such as VR. More functional prosthetic limbs would be a great advancement-got to check out the Prosthetics Dept. when I was on college, pretty fascinating.

However, such as with self driving cars for example, so far, seem to be risky. Gene editing when taken to certain extremes(beyond health issues) can add a sort of unfair reaction, see the movie Brave New World. "Mind-uploading" I'd be for a sort of neural dock system that is less invasive, more so the possibly a non surgical option- waves sent to the brain instead? How about growing a heart in a lab from your own cells("Scientists grow transplantable hearts with stem cells") instead of having a foreign mechanically aided one?

I guess self-driving cars should be limited to rail carts or something in commerce busy areas. Maybe have them ride on a circuit? I wouldn't trust any of the proto-types out on the market but they'll be improved.

The stem cell heart sounds like a good idea too. In my other thread I was talking about synthetic meat made from tissue cells. I think GMO's are good for food. Making limbs and organs makes sense as well. I'd say both mechanical and organic limbs/organs could work together.

I don't even know how mind-uploading would work but I've read about mechanical brains or turning humans into androids then connecting them to a computer network with a cable attached too them. It would be like a USB cable connecting to a computer.

Another theory is putting sensors on them and sending signals to neural pathways. I'm not sure how it would work.

Gened editing does have ethical concerns and if someone made a mistake it would totally ruin the person's genes.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Very cool thread!!

At some point the question needs to be asked. Has this all been done before....?

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 02:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Very cool thread!!

At some point the question needs to be asked. Has this all been done before....?

In my opinion it probably has. I think the universe works in cycles.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 02:26 AM
link   

I was wrong about the world's fastest super computer. It's actually the Sunway Taihu-Light.

The Sunway TaihuLight (Chinese: 神威·太湖之光) is a Chinese supercomputer which, as of June 2016, is ranked number one in the TOP500 list as the fastest supercomputer in the world,[1][2] with a LINPACK benchmark rating of 93 petaflops.[3] This is nearly three times as fast as the previous holder of the record, the Tianhe-2, which ran at 34 petaflops. As of June 2016, it is also ranked as the third most energy-efficient supercomputer in TOP500,[4] with an efficiency of 6,051.30 MFLOPS/W. 

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Transhumanism is one way forward for us as a species but my personal belief is that it is the wrong way. Our evolution should be done naturally and spiritually. If we use technology to take shortcuts we are effectively arresting our biological/spiritual evolution.

Not to mention, once machines gain sentience, why would we think that we are of any use to them anymore? Self-aware AI is the end of human civilization, either immediately or in due time.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Transhumanism is the price humanity will have to pay if we ever wish to address or comprehend the real nature of the universe and reality we experience.

Fact is the simple meat sacks that carry around our consciousness, ware out, age, and die so easily, severely limit our ability as a species to grow in any meaningful manner.

If Humanity is to survive the next few millennia we need to somewhat transcend the physical and mental limitations our current bodies bestow upon us.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Transhumanism is the price humanity will have to pay if we ever wish to address or comprehend the real nature of the universe and reality we experience.

Fact is the simple meat sacks that carry around our consciousness, ware out, age, and die so easily, severely limit our ability as a species to grow in any meaningful manner.

If Humanity is to survive the next few millennia we need to somewhat transcend the physical and mental limitations our current bodies bestow upon us.

What if the next step in our natural evolution was the realization that we are not the meat sacks?

Imagine if your consciousness was able to transfer intact to the next "meat sack" with all of your memories intact.

That is where we will eventually be but I fear that we will use technology to keep the meat sack going as long as possible and keeping the state of our consciousness veiled.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Tman2135

Solution there i imagine is to design a better meat sack(body) or merge our consciousness with some form of AI thus somewhat sidestep our current understanding of mortality.

The question "are we more than the sum of our parts?" seems to spring up through.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I read an interesting critical review of Yuval Harari's recent book: Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow

Homo Deus postulates that mankind will engineer a coming epochal event to rival the agricultural and scientific revolutions. That is, our mastery over biotechnology and information technology will give mankind godlike powers unsurpassed in history. But this coming empowerment carries the seeds of our destruction. Why? Because what Harari calls ‘dataism’, the new techno-religion underpinning our prospective new powers, represents a networked, artificial intelligence with far greater capacity for reason than human intelligence. It could therefore end up destroying humanity’s status as the planet’s preeminent lifeform.

The threat, he contends, is that those unable to master the powers of these technologies will face extinction while those who are able to will gain godlike power over creation and destruction. The super rich, particularly the technobarons of Silicon Valley, the new masters of the dataverse, will regard those of us without the wealth to upgrade our brains and bodies (the aim of 21st-century medicine, according to Harari) as an ‘inferior caste’, one whose labour will be redundant having been supplanted by a new breed of thinking, super-efficient machine. ‘Humanity will turn out to be just a ripple within the cosmic data flow’, warns Harari. And modernity will cease to be a humanist project, with ‘humans agree[ing] to give up meaning in exchange for power’. Welcome to the world of Homo Deus where the majority of us will not be welcome at all.

The reviewer presents a good argument as to why human consciousness cannot be reduced to biological algorithmic determination in the pursuit of AI.

A very good read.

Homo Deus – humanity diminished

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Transhumanism is a pipe dream for those who are not spiritual or whiling to believe in an natural afterlife. For those so fearful of death they have created a digital afterlife. It is basically an Atheist religion fitted with false prophets like Ray Kurzweil shelling digital futurist snake oil and a foolish belief in an immortality as a digital constructed being.

I used to believe in it myself until I became a Computer Scientist. Now there is no way I will ever buy into this sham...

Some things to consider in the nightmare that is Transhumanism that is if they could ever upload your mind (They can't and even if they could...hate to break it to you, but you only created a copy not supplanted your mind into another form so now what? You can meet you but...oddly you are still you so who is that who has all your memories but is not you?) HAHA!

1. How is a non-organic body better than an inorganic one? Both breakdown and degrade, both are subjected to virus' disease and both need power (energy) to survive.

2. Chasing the latest upgrade rabbit (always looking to advance ones self how do you keep up with you 2.0?) How do you continually afford you 2.0? Do you really believe that once you have been made not-analog you no longer face death? BWAHAHA!

3. Hacking...currently (as far as we know, but I am sure someone from MKUltra will set me straight) you cannot control another persons body or mind. However I can control or potentially find a backdoor into any so called closed system. Programing by its very nature is inherently buggy, flawed and therefore exploitable.

4. Deletion...yup I can delete data every once of it even to the point of multiple copies with a small recursive algorithm. Now where are you? Hmm if you don't believe in an afterlife you are no better than a burned out light bulb, you have no further function, you have been erased. You no longer exist...

~End of line

edit on pmbAmerica/ChicagovAmerica/ChicagoFri, 06 Jan 2017 13:54:33 -0600pm1America/Chicago by abeverage because: because I am greatfully imperfect

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join