It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Navy changing LCS into frigate

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: mbkennel

They carry torpedoes and missiles. Usually Harpoons and the Mk54.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Struck one of my most funny and dark stories from my late grandfather, he was a mortar man and machine gunner in Korea. Most memorable thing was while watching the news one time they mentioned something about Koreabs, and he just laughed and said "that's bullsh*t." I asked what he meant and he replied "Those aren't even koreans" me still perplexed he looked at me and said in a serious way "we killed all the koreans , all the way to the river, there isnt anymore of them, those are just them damn sneaky Chinese faking it."

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Too true.

Good read. Didn't they make a movie based on it??

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Too true.

Good read. Didn't they make a movie based on it??

They did, the movie wasn't bad but the book was more accurate. It looked like one of our projects with the Marines, TBH. NDAs prevent me from saying exactly what, but the thing started off very practical with a reasonable usage - the sort of thing I myself might have wanted as an unwelcome guest in someone's country on the way in.

But then, it began to have terminal feature creep. And it went from very practical to OMGWTF, and then to get even MORE crap stuck onto it, they started dumping safety features, and they went with a low bid that wasn't actually qualified to do the design, although they didn't spot that, and the whole thing was a bletcherous kludge by the time they called us in.

We got one good look at it, declared that we might be able to get it to stop going in circles unexpectedly but that the reason why was that the system architecture was fubar and we wouldn't put our name on it unless we could redo the entire thing so that it didn't endanger the guy(s) that were depending on it to work. But we would waive the NRE on the re-architecting part so they didn't have to explain that. They weren't happy with that, and no one else would fix it, so it got scrapped. It was a great idea though.

I will say this though, the things they put on it were like putting tank treads on a boat.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:21 AM
link   

It wasn't this was it? Modified for marine assault

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Donkey09

It wasn't this was it? Modified for marine assault

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...

While this is strictly metaphorical, imagine you had a fast dirt bike that was nearly silent for letting yourself in someone's country. Light, quiet, easy to handle and more or less disposable. It was exactly what you needed.

Instead of Honda or even HD, you got Murray Lawn Mowers to design it. But it was pretty basic so what you got was ok.

But then brass got it and decided having seen a Segway, they wanted it to stand upright when no one was in it. And you had to ride it like an recumbent bike because a brass liked that and had seen Batman. Then another wanted to add GPS and have it autonav too in case you were injured it could drive itself. Since you have a dirt bike why not make it bigger and add .50bmg rifles, and a turret with a MK 19 in. And an autoloader. And magazines of various 40mm grenades you could select on the fly. And make it have a targeting computer with fire and forget for the turrets. And you should be able to hide these things and call them to you with a beacon.

Somewhere in there Murray goes bankrupt and you call us.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

... Why is everyone so in love with the DAMN RAIL GUN?!!

want an example of the Navy's screw ups?

The Rail gun's competitor project was a combustion light gas gun, had it not been defunded, that would've been ready in time to replace the 155mm Zumwalt gun on the class leader ship of the class from day one!!!

200 nautical mile range, deeper magazines by at least 50% of what we COULD load a zumwalt with now...

Double bonus for going this route would be using the 45mm validation gun(s) on our newly minted LCS class frigates...

This approach was the safe smart and still MORE THAN SUFFICIENT to our needs approach, rather than the damn rail gun which might someday be great...

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: JIMC5499

It sounds like it's going to get a pretty extensive redesign. It'll have to if they want to armor her and add the weapons they're talking about.

Maybe this is why we need to make ships modular like legos so we can mix and match things on a universal ship body.

WW2. Look up C2 and C3 merchant hulls.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

What's even more perplexing is that we didn't go with either Umoes original SES proposal or an even more optimized SES++ setup..

Especially since the testing done with Umoe to validate an SES mine sweeper design showed a positively massive increase in damage resistance from subsurface weapon detonations! (>20% but don't remember how much greater right off)

Throw in being able to use the same basic hull design etc, or something between the size of Skjold class and the LCS SES design as your ship to shore connector for amphibious assault... Sorta like a Zuber an LCAC and that stupid depressible deck catamaran thing, only way ****ing cooler!

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Dude, they would've bought the hell out of my SLAMMER concept...

(Soldier Light Autonomous Mobility Maneuver Extended Range)

You pretty much nailed the specs vtw

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join