It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Age Limits For Congress

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   
The Founding Fathers never anticipated a population with a life expectancy of 70+ years. The average age of a politician in the early era of America, was mid-40's; since that time it has hurtled upwards into the 60's. I'm not trying to knock on the elderly here, but the older you get, the less in touch with the ever-changing world you become.

Indeed, the historical trend is undeniable: the average age of Congressmen has increased steadily over the centuries. In the early 1800s the average Representative or Senator was in his mid-40s. Fast forward to today, when the average Senator is nearly twenty years older - at 62 - and the average Representative is nearly 15 years older at 57.

www.washingtonpost.com...

Let's face it, the ridiculous notion of starting another Cold War, is largely due to the youth of the 50's/60's growing up into that worldview, and now fill the Hall of Congress set in their ways.

We can see evidence of the out-of-touch politician in many ways, for instance: Hillary wondering if they meant wiping her hard-drive 'with a cloth'.

Let us consider a more scientific argument of why there should be Age Limits on becoming a Congressperson.

The hippocampus, a region of the brain involved in the formation and retrieval of memories, often deteriorates with age.

Hormones and proteins that protect and repair brain cells and stimulate neural growth also decline with age.

Older people often experience decreased blood flow to the brain, which can impair memory and lead to changes in cognitive skills.

I believe Hillary has suffered greatly from aging, her hearings the number one argument she made was 'she didn't recall' or remember. She was very close to becoming the next leader of the free world.

Of course, there is already Age Restrictions on politicians. You have to be 35 to be president, 30 for governor, 30 for senate, and 25 to be representative. There is a reason for this, people need some experience and expertise before handling the machinations of governance. However, like everyone, our minds go with age, and outdated worldviews from 50 years ago become the status quo.

It's time to place Age Limits on Congress. I believe retirement age is a good standard, we want are politicians not too old and not too young, we want them in their prime. We need people in full capacity, not John McCains, we want people who still have a pulse on the current culture and global political environment.

No more Nancy Pelosis or Harry Reids please.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: GodEmperor

Just saying. Donald J. Trump is 70 years old.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   

I do not agree If they can prove they are fit and healthy and have regular health checks proving so we may miss out on what age can give people wisdom.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Then you agree.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Tony Benn 76 when he retired from being an MP over here.
Top top chap.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: GodEmperor

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Then you agree.

Age discrimination eh? What's next, skin color, religious affiliations, IQ, get the picture...slippery slope

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   
it is a problem having old people run things, we are basically living 50 years in the past. the government is being operated under 50 year old values, and ideas.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

being mentally healthy is more important then being physically healthy for people who make the rules.
some of these old congress critters, like McCain, are completely out of their minds.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

Then you vote them out. If they are not in with the times they will be voted out and If not show people they are bonkers.
edit on 5-1-2017 by testingtesting because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Right.

All old people are stupid.

Good gawd. What ever happened to the notion of individual merit over physical characteristics?

Some of the smartest and wisest people I have know in my life were 'old'.
edit on 5-1-2017 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   
It's not their age that bothers me,

It's who they have networked with in that time period that really scares and troubles me.

I think we need more restrictions on who they can hang out with, for how long and why. These people represent US, so in my opinion, if they want that honor, they need to sacrfice some freedoms in the name of transparency.

It's not what these people think alone that makes them so dangerous, it's what they will do, for someone else, not in their districts desires that should scare you.

We need to curb the lobbyists.
edit on 5-1-2017 by Tranceopticalinclined because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Term limits Not age limits.

The problem is politicians that decided to make lifetime commitments to screw people over.

That is where the problem is.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Mind you I'm only sticking up for these old Gals and Geezers because I will get into government when older, first Mayor then MP then who knows ruler of the Galaxy?.
I will rule with a iron fist with woolly mittens on.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Term limits Not age limits.

The problem is politicians that decided to make lifetime commitments to screw people over.

That is where the problem is.

Beat me to it!

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Just put in term limits and then people can't spend 40 years in congress.

not many tends to join politics, other than POTUS and maybe the senate, in their later years such as plus 65 and on.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I think we already have this covered by re-elections. Apparently, the McCain's and Pelosi's are still being re-elected so the blame lies with their district/state. Age usually provides wisdom of experience, though they do find it more difficult to be innovative and rather stick with what they believe has worked in the past.

It is up to youth to step up and vote and or serve!

Now, I can see where our supreme court judicial system should have a term limit of 10-20 years. They are not individuls we have a real voice in placing or removing.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Presidents come and go.

Congressman are forever.

A practice that needs to end.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: seeker1963

Presidents come and go.

Congressman are forever.

A practice that needs to end.

Yes, you'd see a lot more bipartisan action if you had everybody worried about if they could get elected next cycle and the people would pay a whole lot more attention to what they were doing during that time if that was the case.

I think the executive would be more afraid of congress and the senate. Long term incumbents don't want to raddle the tree house, don't want to change things. They'd rather play stupid and keep their influence than really do anything worth while.

Term limits, it's the only sane thing to do and the only 1st step, to fixing the political system.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Age discrimination would be a horrible idea. Just impose term limits and that will solve 99% of your problem. If a 80-year-old gets elected, good for them, that just means they aren't out of touch.

Age is just a correlation to the problem, not the problem itself.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Exactly, two or three runs at the job, you can always run for the local mayor etc.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join