It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Senate Hearing on Russian Hacking - Top US Intelligence Officials Testify LIVE

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64
John McCain claiming Russia has this great propaganda network, yet the U.S. has no such propaganda network.

He says we need a bigger propaganda effort through internet and TV.

The BS is drowning me.

That's because CNN failed, Hillary wasn't elected.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Lindsey Graham,
"it is time, not to throw pebbles, but to throw rocks".

To agreement all around.

These #ing warmongers scare the # out of me.

Someone could do us a huge favor and drop a meteor on the Senate right now!

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Who are APT 28 and APT 29?

These two groups were named amongst others. It could be ABT. My keyboard likes to insert it's own ideas into any given conversation lol

Along with the GRU.

Lots of appeals directly to trump from the floor.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   
This is why Congress needs term limits. We don't need an 80 years old McCain as senator.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

The whole Russia Today network costs $300 million worldwide to run,now try to find anything about the cost of the US media-GOOD LUCK

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   

They're not talking war they're talking about making sure the message gets across to them that the US will not stand for this kind of attack.
More sanctions and shaming Putin himself will be more like it.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Has Hillary Obama nuked Russia yet?

He just wants to throw ROCKS instead of pebbles. I am sure they will work up to using trebuchet or catapult for those rocks soon.

FFS This is OUR government??????

edit on 1 5 2017 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Stick Graham in camo and drop him off at Donetsk lets see how good he is

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

What attack? They've still shown no proof.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: khnum

The whole Russia Today network costs $300 million worldwide to run,now try to find anything about the cost of the US media-GOOD LUCK

Just send a FOIA request to the CFR.

I am sure they will be more than cooperative with you and nothing but honest.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: tridalop4

He doesn't sound dodgy to me.
What's a number?

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   
They are big talkers but they don't dare to fight Russia.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

They're not talking war they're talking about making sure the message gets across to them that the US will not stand for this kind of attack.
More sanctions and shaming Putin himself will be more like it.

Send a message FOR WHAT?

They have NO proof that Russia hacked the DNC and Podesta.

But sure, lets poke the Bear because the war mongering, NWO supporting elites are losing the battle.
edit on 1 5 2017 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Read.

In a blog post on the subject, renowned infosec expert, firewall pioneer and IANS Faculty Marcus Ranum noted the JAR’s detailed account of the methods of APT28 and APT29, two alleged Russian hacking campaigns, were little more than a recitation of typical hacking by typical hackers using typical tools available to most anyone with a connected PC and bad intentions.

“This is how it’s been done since about 2002 or so,” Ranum said of the report’s hacking rundown. “You carpet-bomb a link to a malware dropper, and you get a few gomers, then you see what you’ve caught and exploit the most exciting ones.

“So someone sent someone at a U.S. political party some malware, and they opened it, and some hacker did like every other hacker ever. I’m still waiting to see how and why this is Russians. In fact, the methods described are the exact same methods that the Chinese that hacked OPM, the North Koreans that hacked Sony, [and] the kid down the street use. How do they know this was Russians and not North Koreans?

“I really need to emphasize that this is standard operating procedure,” Ranum added. “The penetration testers that I know use exactly the same techniques, as do the hackers.”

To be sure, some elements of the JAR strain credulity. One has to believe, for example, that well-trained, well-funded Russian cyberwarfare forces have a preference for outdated, off-the-shelf Ukranian-made malware, for example. Incongruities like this set off a firestorm of debate in the infosec community almost as soon as the DHS-FBI report was issued.

As a number of security experts have pointed out, the bulk of the indicators of compromise listed in the slim report (the JAR is 13 pages but eight of those are reprints of basic defense strategies repurposed from previous CERT and DHS papers) are generic, non-specific and hardly indicative of nation-state activity much less proof of Russian involvement.

The JAR’s accompanying CSV lists more than 870 IP addresses that are a mostly useless mix of TOR exit nodes, proxies, virtual private servers and assorted unclassified sites. Another head-scratcher is the report’s mish-mashed list of APT campaigns, malware and vulnerability categories, which the report’s authors refer to as “Reported Russian Military and Civilian Intelligence Services (RIS).” The list conflates hacking campaign names like COZYDUKE and Fancy Bear with malware names such as Black Energy and Twain_64.dll as well as vague kinds of common hacker capabilities such as “Powershell backdoor.”

“In this situation we now have net negative credibility,” Ranum told IANS. “The U.S. government is coasting on the trust that people have built in it. They’re now saying ‘We’re the U.S. government and we have this amazing intelligence community and we say it’s the Russians and we’re not going to tell you anything more.’ Then they provide this insultingly bad information.”

I bolded the last paragraph of that excerpt (there's much more said in that link) because this is exactly what we're hearing in the congressional hearing right now.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Thanks for posting that.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Has Hillary Obama nuked Russia yet?

He just wants to throw ROCKS instead of pebbles. I am sure they will work up to using trebuchet or catapult for those rocks soon.mnky

FFS This is OUR government??????

Orwellian.

They need to create an enemy so we don't look at DC.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: khnum

Well, keep in mind that Obama has signed off on the federal government being able to directly fund propaganda now (under the guise of countering foreign propaganda or claimed misinformation), so we don't need to keep paying off the MSM anymore.

link   

Umm yeah they do.

🙊🙉🙈

link   
I wonder if they'll quote Boris and Natasha from Rocky and Bullwinkle as evidence?

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   

My pleasure, although I've posted it in other threads, too, and anyone already ideologically hell-bent on blindly accepting the official story don't read it AND argue against it out of ignorance. Maybe it'll get better traffic in this thread.

See?

originally posted by: Sillyolme

Umm yeah they do.

🙊🙉🙈

edit on 5-1-2017 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join