It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Macy's Is Cutting 10,000 Jobs and Closing 63 Stores as Sales Dip Again

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Macy's a left overholdover department store, mega floor space, mega parking space, all wasted nowadays. Before they became a store they were a catalog, looks like now they'll be joining the rest of the online shopping community.

Bong Bong

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Correct. Macy's is just a holdover from the big malls. They are floundering because the market has changed. People are no longer flocking to shopping malls like they used to.

In addition, it is a tired brand and consumer's attitudes have changed. Macy's is in no man's land of brand positioning. They aren't really upscale, but they aren't budget shopping either. The market place has split between upscale and budget.

Brands stuck in the middle tend to flounder. For example, when I decide to splurge, I generally go to Nordstroms or Barneys if I am going to a department store. Or a small specialized boutique. However, when I am just buying basic goods, I will shop at Target or in some cases Gap or Old Navy. At this point, Macy's just doesn't offer much.

Macy's
Sears
JC Penny
Rich's
Belk

All these brands are basically done for. They can't be saved... While I feel sorry for the people who will lose their jobs, this is the business ecosystem. They will find jobs at other retailers or in different fields.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
I think mall shopping has served its time. I buy as much as I can online. I wish there was a store that had their grocery store shelves online, like a video game where you can see the products displayed. If I were young I would start a delivery service. I can think of all kinds of small businesses right now, off the trend of amazon type customers.

Most cities have these services. Even Amazon does it. www.amazon.com...

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Yah, they aren't closing here and moving overseas...

Ever watch the Abandoned Vice TV series? They do one on abandoned malls. Creepy...

You have to sign in or watch it on Cable.

Abandoned

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: Edumakated

Yah, they aren't closing here and moving overseas...

Ever watch the Abandoned Vice TV series? They do one on abandoned malls. Creepy...

You have to sign in or watch it on Cable.

Abandoned

Yeah, I used to follow a blog on abandoned / failing shopping malls. It is crazy as they were so popular in the 80s. Some have been able to thrive or repurpose into other uses, but a lot of them are slowly failing. Most of the anchor stores that bet huge on these shopping malls are failing brands too as are a lot of the smaller retailers that were primarily located within shopping malls. Remember Merry Go Round and all the teeny bop stores that were popular?

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   
The reality is that years ago the elite decided something called: Limits to growth.

Maybe that’s the right thing to do I don’t know.

Nevertheless, the growth of the 50’s and 60’s and 70’s they killed deliberately through conservative philosophy primarily.

So we will see only limited growth in the West.

Growth will be stunted and only a few super corporations eventually will evolve to be the new Gods, Macys and Sears is not one of them

In their soon to be NWO dystopia Amazon is one of the 12 or a few more SUPER CORPORATIONS that will be allowed to exist.

Amazon will continue to crush and absorb the economic dinosaurs who will be left out of the future corporate rulership

edit on 5-1-2017 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: havok

Oh please, I'm the furthest thing from a "snowflake". You being "triggered" is an understatement.

If you really didn't care you could have brushed it off and went to another thread, but you didn't. You had to come here and show your disquietude in someone bringing up the word Trump.

Sure I could have left it out, but I did not. It goes to show that us Trump supporters ( yes I am one ) are discomfited when anyone brings him up in a negative assertation.

Sure I could have left it out of the opening sentence but then we would be deprived of this much needed bonding moment.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   
This has nothing to do with Donald Trump. This has everything to do with Macy's sucking.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Oh and all of this happened under Obama's watch. So nice try, snowflake.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Yeah, I used to follow a blog on abandoned / failing shopping malls. It is crazy as they were so popular in the 80s.

The mall... expansive, expensive, went there for the movies, Mrs. Fields cookies, people watching. How weird that seems now.

I was younger, had a paying job, money, time to waste... at the mall. Wasn't my favorite hangout though. Loved the scene in Blues Brothers, they actually bought a fully stocked mall and destroyed it.

Swan Song, Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Nowadays department stores have been replaced with big box stores like Walmart and Home Depot out here on the coast. Don't recall Merry Go Round... I think the Powers that be want us to stay home more. Interact here instead of outdoors fun.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Now's the time you're going to see a lot of companies layoff/close/downsize, decrease wages to show their disapproval of the incoming president. Happens every election.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   
People are being stupid in here.

Has little to do with either Trump or Obama. It has mostly to do with improving technology, automation and society increasingly preferring the convenience of ordering online rather than driving down to a store and waiting in line.

That's where we're heading and more industries will be effected. The real concern is education, that as more and more jobs get filled with automation and simply move online, more and more of the less educated will find fewer decent paying jobs. Add immigration and expensive health care to that(now that is more on Obama) and it's going to get ugly.

Trump's smart to focus on factory work as major companies are still going to rely heavily on manufacturing for years to come. Maintaining and increasing those jobs rather than losing them in addition to the above is a positive.

Essentially, if you didn't value education enough and don't gain a skill which can be replaced with automation, you're going to have a very rough life. More and more will be competing for the fewer and fewer un-skilled jobs. So one might ask why all the establishment politicians think bathroom legislation is more important than actually fixing our broken education system. One might also ask why there's so many absentee parents in this country who are raising children with no idea of accountability and hardwork.
edit on 5-1-2017 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: MysticPearl

I'm not being stupid... I know trump nor Obama is the cause. I said in my post that the reason is technology and them moving to online sales where the customers are.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLotLizard

Sounds like 8 years of failed Obama policy has dented Americans wallet's so much that stores can't stay open. Thank God Trump is finally here.

More serious .. iirc median income is down to 1990's levels and we have the lowest employment level in my entire life, and I am near 40 years old. Our economy really is in shambles.
edit on 6-1-2017 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join