It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bogoslof: Color Code RED Alert Level WARNING

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   

RED: Eruption is imminent with significant emission of volcanic ash into the atmosphere likely OR eruption is underway or suspected with significant emission of volcanic ash into the atmosphere [ash-plume height specified, if possible].
WARNING: Hazardous eruption is imminent, underway, or suspected.

www.avo.alaska.edu...

Bogoslof volcano in the Aleutian Islands, Alaska is on red alert and an imminent eruption is either underway, or suspected.

Luckily the closest inhabited area to this volcano is Unalaska Island which is 61 miles away from the volcano. However a red alert has been issued for aviation in the area.

This volcano has been showing signs of increased activity for about 2-3 weeks now, although some eruptions have been weaker the activity has been relatively continuous, which means there is still unrest in the volcano.

edit on 4-1-2017 by ElectricUniverse because: correct comment.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

oh crap. How big is the area of expected effect going to cover???

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Anyone know where the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man is? I'll bring the graham crackers!

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I didn't know Alaska even had a volcano.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Hasn't it already been erupting since December 20th or so off and on ?

www.adn.com...

www.avo.alaska.edu...

Looks like projected ashfall is (hypothetically) limited to a small area. www.avo.alaska.edu...

The main concern seem to just be for aviation.

Peace.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Well, the recent continuous seismic activity of the Bogoslof volcano dramatically reshaped Aleutian island.

Latest eruptions of Bogoslof volcano dramatically reshaped Aleutian island

The volcano is not showing any signs of slowing down, but it all depends on whether stress keeps building up and it explodes at once, or if the volcano would simply release the stress in smaller explosions.

I was actually undecided whether to add other threads covering the increased activity in volcanoes in other areas of the world and showing a common link between them, but decided against it for personal reasons. (It's very humid over here and the nerve pain is killing me.)

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 12:32 AM
link   

I would LOVE to see a live stream of this if anyone finds one.

My bucket list is to actually see a volcano erupt (from VERY FAR away) at night, boots on the ground.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aristotelian1
I didn't know Alaska even had a volcano.

That's like saying "I didn't know there are cattle in Montana".

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Ameilia

The place is so remote and a protected habitat that placing sensors on the island is tough enough let alone a web cam. There are web cams on other volcanoes here in the AK (check out the AVO homepage). They actually monitor this volcano with equipment on surrounding volcanoes and from satellite photos. Lots of dependencies on pilots reporting plumes so they can turn to sat photos and go back and review other logging equipment.

You could have driven down the highway from Anchorage and watch Mt. Spur erupt (some like 5-, 10-years ago). I was here when Redoubt blanketed Anchortown in ash. Nasty stuff that ash is! Last time Spurr spewed ash we were handed out large particle masks here at work. I ran around with my ski goggles for a couple days just in case the wind changed.

BTW, Bogoslof has been downgraded to 'Orange' from 'Red'.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Nope its Red again. 35000 foot ash cloud erupted today

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 08:46 PM
link   

ALASKA VOLCANO OBSERVATORY STATUS REPORT
U.S. Geological Survey
Thursday, January 5, 2017, 3:05 PM AKST (Friday, January 6, 2017, 00:05 UTC)

BOGOSLOF VOLCANO (VNUM #311300)
53°55'38" N 168°2'4" W, Summit Elevation 492 ft (150 m)
Current Volcano Alert Level: WARNING
Current Aviation Color Code: RED

The explosion at 13:24 AKST (22:24 UTC) today was short-lived with an estimated duration of about 5 minutes. The volcanic cloud from the event is visible in satellite data moving north from the volcano as a detached cloud at an estimated height of 35,000 ft asl. A pilot also reports seeing the cloud at 35,000 ft asl.

Additional explosive events at Bogoslof may occur without warning. Due to the unpredictability of the situation, the Aviation Color Code remains RED and the Volcano Alert Level WARNING.

link

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

The place is so remote and a protected habitat that placing sensors on the island is tough enough let alone a web cam. There are web cams on other volcanoes here in the AK (check out the AVO homepage). They actually monitor this volcano with equipment on surrounding volcanoes and from satellite photos. Lots of dependencies on pilots reporting plumes so they can turn to sat photos and go back and review other logging equipment.

You could have driven down the highway from Anchorage and watch Mt. Spur erupt (some like 5-, 10-years ago). I was here when Redoubt blanketed Anchortown in ash. Nasty stuff that ash is! Last time Spurr spewed ash we were handed out large particle masks here at work. I ran around with my ski goggles for a couple days just in case the wind changed.

BTW, Bogoslof has been downgraded to 'Orange' from 'Red'.

Thanks mate! I found them!

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Apologies for the late reply.

Anyway, this volcano lies right on what is know as "the ring of fire" which goes around the Pacific rim.

Link

Since it also lies in the northern hemisphere it would tie in which the increase speed of the Molten iron river discovered speeding beneath Russia and Canada

What I am hoping is that stress is not building too much in that area, since the northern hemisphere should be having more activity even thou the south also has an increase activity.

If the stress does not build too much then there shouldn't be any big volcanic explosions, but if stress is building up is what worries me, for then a more catastrophic event can occur.

edit on 6-1-2017 by ElectricUniverse because: correct link.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   

That action creates magma, or molten rock, roughly 6 to 12 miles deep. With a lower density than surrounding rock, magma rises toward the Earth's surface. Volatile dissolved gases under pressure also push up magma. Whether a volcano explodes or oozes out lava depends on the dissolved gases and their ability to escape rapidly from the magma.

"It's not all that different from opening a can of soda on a warm day," Waythomas said. "The gas that's dissolved in the liquid comes out rapidly, and as it comes out, it brings magma with it. It fragments it as it expands. That produces the fine particles."

At Bogoslof, magma also interacts with seawater and water-saturated soils.

Typically, Waythomas said, when magma meets water, the Leidenfrost Effect kicks in. That's the phenomenon in which a liquid near an object that's much hotter produces an insulating vapor that keeps it from boiling rapidly.

"When you make pancakes, and you sprinkle water on your griddle, the water skates around on a film of vapor," Waythomas said. "If you break that vapor film down, and brought the water right into contact with the hot griddle, you'd produce a steam explosion. That's basically what's going on with Bogoslof."

Phys.org - Alaska's busy volcano: Seawater, magma figure in eruptions.

This is a good write up about Bogoslof in general. They give size and dimensions (the island is the top of the volcano, most of it is underwater), then a run down of the interactions of under sea volcanism. Well worth the time!

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   

However, Bogoslof, a volcanic island in the Aleutians off the southwest coast of Alaska exploded without any warning last Saturday. This was its 40th eruption since December 2016, of which 75 percent have not been predicted by the U.S. Geological Survey’s Alaska Volcano Observatory (AVO). The most recent event sent a plume of ash and smoke more than six miles into the atmosphere. Ash at this height can ruin the engines of jet airplanes flying this well-traveled route between Asia and North America.

Scientific America, May 31, 217 - Ask the Experts: Alaska’s Bogoslof Volcano Erupted Again—Why Was It So Hard to Predict?.

It's at 'Red Alert' again! The article is a nice interview with a volcanologist. The local TV station showed a satellite loop as the plume spread out.

On Monday, the Cook Inlet area had a 5.3 M earthquake. It sounds cliché... we're all connected!

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   

A 14-minute eruption by an Alaska volcano sent an ash cloud to 30,000 feet (9,100 meters) in the Aleutian Islands

The Alaska Volcano Observatory says Bogoslof... Volcano erupted at 3:17 a.m. Tuesday.

Ash clouds above 20,000 feet (6,100 meters) can harm airliners flying between Asia and North America. The observatory raised the aviation alert code to "warning" level, the highest level.

phys.org, June 27, 2017 - Alaska volcano sends up ash cloud from Aleutian Islands.

These months later still going!

14 minutes is a small eruption. Glad the winds pushed the ash out to sea. There are major shipping lanes for cargo planes that are south of the island. Most of the eruptions are actually spotted by pilots.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Mt. Etna, Sicily, Italy.

Best place ever and the most active volcano in Europe.

Alaska, thought it might be closer? It's just too cold.

I wish I could go see the one in Alaska though.

peace

new topics

top topics

join