It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coca-Cola, ABA Accused of Tobacco-Like Deception in Lawsuit

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Is this just the beginning? Or is the law suit a bunch of nothing like Coke says it is? I think there is info out there that is pretty damaging to the sugar industry, and it is just a matter of time.

And it begins. Coca cola was sued by Praxis Project and seeks to keep Coke from using deceptive advertising toward children, like the tobacco did. They are also accused of minimizing the health effects of the products like obesity and diabetes.

Coca-Cola Co. was sued by activists who compare the beverage giant’s advertising tactics to the tobacco industry’s past efforts in minimizing the health effects of its products and targeting children to replenish the ranks of its customers.

The nonprofit Praxis Project seeks to stop Coke and the Washington-based American Beverage Association from deceptive advertising of sugary drinks, particularly to children, and for the disclosure of documents related to their impact on health. Studies have linked sugary drinks to obesity, Type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease, the group said.

All drink manufactures seek to fend off regulatory assaults on multiple fronts. In the UK, France, and some cities in the US there are taxes on these drinks because of the health effects from the sugar.
Coke said they have the calorie on the label ans dismissed the law suit. The story also says Coke is pushing smaller sizes and other drinks in place of soda.

Coca-Cola Co. was sued by activists who compare the beverage giant’s advertising tactics to the tobacco industry’s past efforts in minimizing the health effects of its products and targeting children to replenish the ranks of its customers.

The lawsuit comes as drinks’ manufacturers seek to fend off regulatory assaults on multiple fronts. The U.K. is pressing ahead with a tax on sugary drinks over the objections of the producers, following the example of France, Mexico and Hungary. In the U.S., cities including San Francisco and Chicago have also introduced taxes on sweet drinks, citing what they say is a disproportionate impact on residents’ health.

~~~

“From the 1950s until the late 1990s, the tobacco industry engaged in an elaborate campaign of disinformation to cast doubt on the science connecting cigarettes to lung cancer and other diseases,” Maia Kats, litigation director for the center, said in a statement.

www.bloomberg.com...
edit on Wed Jan 4 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed overly long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

I find many things about this troubling but I'll stick to one item at the moment....

Taxing "sugary" dinks.

To me, this is all you need to know. It has nothing to do with people's health or advertising practices. It is simply another way for the Gubment to separate people form their income.

Income (aka Money) can let you move to where you want to move and live how you want to live. In a way (that I'm not entirely comfortable admitting) money is independence. It lets you live where you want to and drive what you want to and eat what you want to.

"They" don't like people having too much independence and on top of that, "they" need money to siphon off to their contributors via grants and other tax-fueled government schemes.

Edit to Add: Although I'm tempted, I never delete a post I create. In this situation, I would like to point out that if I had know who/what The Praxis Project is... I wouldn't have bothered contributing to this thread.

edit on 4-1-2017 by eluryh22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

“We take our consumers and their health very seriously,” he said. “We will continue to listen and learn from the public health community and remain committed to playing a meaningful role in the fight against obesity.”
www.bloomberg.com...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!...

I'm sorry. I just couldn't read that with a straight --- BWAA-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Seriously though. That statement is just priceless.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

I agree to a point.

There is a major problem with our food. Is taxing it a good way to get us off sugar and carbo/processed?

Diabetes is sky rocketing, cancer too.

I think in the next ten years we will get the truth about sugar and it will shock us.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Is taxing it a good way to get us off sugar and carbo/processed?

NO! Absolutely not! Stealing from people is NEVER the answer.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Suggestions?

I do believe that there is a actual conspiracy like tobacco.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   
White refined sugar is of course a highly toxic poison. What is worse is the amount of high fructose corn syrup dumped into these addictive garbage drinks. If a person is making an educated choice that is one thing, but the industry absolutely does market to kids in an attempt to hook them at a young age. It does seem alot like what the tobacco industry got away with for way too long, and it is nearly as dangerous as tobacco given the amounts most of the users consume.
My only question, why single out one manufacturer?

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   

I agree to a point.

There is a major problem with our food. Is taxing it a good way to get us off sugar and carbo/processed?

Diabetes is sky rocketing, cancer too.

I think in the next ten years we will get the truth about sugar and it will shock us.
The truth is out, just buried. There may be more to learn about it though. I would probably stop just shy of Crunky's post about the "Sugar Demons," although maybe he is on to something there.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Are the kids using their little kiddie credit cards to buy these and then take them back home in their pedal cars?

If kids ask for soda and the parents do the right thing and say 'no' then no Coke for you!

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

HOW DARE YOU ask that parenting be left to parents rather than let the Gubment take over for, and intervene in, parenting.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   

I think the point is that they are being sold to, very similar to smokes.

I also think there is info that is being suppressed, like tobacco. We will see.
edit on 4-1-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   

I know, I'm totally out of control asking for personal responsibility. Maybe we can spare some of our very useful TSA agents to come help the numpties with their parenting duties. Couldn't be any worse than the current results.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   

I think the point is that they are being sold to, very similar to smokes.

I also think there is info that is being suppressed, like tobacco. We will see.

When I was younger I wanted stuff because-marketing. My parents said 'no' and life went on.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Are the kids using their little kiddie credit cards to buy these and then take them back home in their pedal cars?

If kids ask for soda and the parents do the right thing and say 'no' then no Coke for you!
Also a great point to consider. It is our duty to educate and parent our children, and to leave them in good hands when we can't be there.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Illumimasontruth
Also a great point to consider. It is our duty to educate and parent our children, and to leave them in good hands when we can't be there.

I have no desire to drink soda and eat crap, even as an adult, because my parents explained why this stuff was s*** when I was a kid.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   

I'm right there with you. But to take personal responsibility you have to have the truth. I hate long docs, but this one is an eye opener.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   

How old are you and have you noticed a difference in marketing? I have.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   

I'm right there with you. But to take personal responsibility you have to have the truth. I hate long docs, but this one is an eye opener.

The truth is that anyone who does not know that just about anything in moderation is fine is a outright moron.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   

How old are you and have you noticed a difference in marketing? I have.

I'm roughly 2,079 and yes, marketing has changed, it's less broad based in its targeting and more focused.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   

The issue is that sugar is in catsup, and I have a sneaking suspicion that a major part of the American public are not like you and I.
I think there may be a mild case of "if they sell it in the store, it's safe".

And a lot of people are not familiar with the glyvcemic index or glycemic load, or fibers role in sugar/carb absorption.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join