It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marijuana Monster Money: California Makes More from Cannabis Than the Next 5 Largest Crops Combined

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Marijuana Monster Money: California Makes More from Cannabis Than the Next 5 Largest Crops Combined

So I'll leave it up to your personal opinion on how reliable you find these figures and estimates, but one thing is for certain the legal weed market in CA is literally about to change the face of pot economics.

So let's talk about jobs. Now a big part of the Trump campaign is job creation and a return of manufacturing jobs. Well I don't know about you but I see a gold mine bursting at the seams just crying out to be tapped. Wouldn't it be prudent for the Trump admin to get behind this wave instead of trying to slow it down with AG picks like Jeff Sessions?

Indeed it would. But as I predicted in another post recently, if Trump pursues that option, it won't be for a while yet. He's going to save it for an opportune moment when its political capital value is greatest, i.e., when he can afford to flip the bird to the braindead ultra-Christian right (or whoever they are) that believe weed is for evil hippy-junkie-scum, as well as to the "moral" conservatives in Congress. That day is a year or so off, I expect. Certainly not before the ignauguration!

It is most definitely a gold mine. I am acquainted with at least two people who stand to win big, who have been positioning themselves for years -- one with a commercial website for legal sale and barter by wholesale producers, the other ready to expand in a county already has one of the most liberal zoning policies for medical cannibis farms and sharecroppers. There are many thousands of others like them and the competition is fierce.

If and when national laws change to allow interstate commerce of cannibis products, all of California stands to win ultra-big. IN the meantime increased competition and economic activity, in my observation, is extremely healthy for society in that state. It's bringing a lot of hope, joy, relief and profit to a great many people I know. The movers and shakers I've met are, without exception, big stoners and also extremely savvy, motivated, disciplined business people with lots of education and business background.

In ten years there will be a national commodities market for Lemon Diesel and such. I'll bet a cool Oz. on that!

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Namdru

The LA Times recently wrote an article about how LA will quickly supplant Denver as the weed capital of the world with how big this market is going to get. I agree, and when it happens the push eastward for legalization will probably be inevitable. Well inward since legalization is quickly taking form on the coasts and moving towards the centers of the country, but it is far more ubiquitous on the west coast than the east coast.

I hope you are right about Trump. I'm willing to admit being wrong about my first impressions on a Presidential candidate. I did it for Obama when I grew to like him over 8 years.
edit on 4-1-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   

a reply to: Namdru

The LA Times recently wrote an article about how LA will quickly supplant Denver as the weed capital of the world with how big this market is going to get. I agree, and when it happens the push eastward for legalization will probably be inevitable. Well inward since legalization is quickly taking form on the coasts and moving towards the centers of the country, but it is far more ubiquitous on the west coast than the east coast.

I hope you are right about Trump. I'm willing to admit being wrong about my first impressions on a Presidential candidate. I did it for Obama when I grew to like him over 8 years.

Im liking this new found positive attitude of yours

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

exactly, legalizing it will cause the price to go way down with everyone and their brother growing it for personal use or to sell the competition will create bargain basement prices. just like when there is too much oil on the market the price of oil and gasoline drops.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

absolutely, when other states see how much money California is making from legalized weed they will all want to get a piece of it. One thing a politician can`t say no to and that`s more tax money. everything that`s illegal will become legal once they find a way to tax it and regulate it.
just look at the last 100 years and how many things that were once illegal are now legal and taxed.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   
1.2 - 1.3 bn in Marijuana Sales in Colorado.

It's going to an assortment of places. The state funds are primarily going toward education - teaching youth about the potential risks and what we know, also teaching adults about how to treat this newly legal substance. You know, schools are also a big focal point.

When Colorado voters voted on Amendment 64 in 2012, we were promised that the first $40 million of this specific recreational excise tax was going to go toward capital school construction. And so that's a big part of it, too. But then you see the different municipalities that are able to disseminate the money however they choose. And so we're seeing cities give it to homelessness or creating college scholarships with pot taxes.

www.npr.org...

edit on 4-1-2017 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

Well I said this very same thing when Colorado legalized weed. In fact, there is probably a record of me saying it on ATS though I don't feel like looking. Heh. And you are right, the taxes that Colorado saw from legal weed probably went a LONG way to tipping the scales in favor of it in CA. After all, this wasn't the first time California voted to legalize. Last time they tried it failed.

So it reasons to believe that the same thing will happen with CA's tax gains from this, and with the size of the state's economy that will have a VERY large impact on many other states.
edit on 4-1-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   

And when every state grows it?

It won't sell for nearly that kind of premium.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

The conditions in part of NorCal are basically ideal for this crop and will always carry a premium much like say a Kona or Jamaican Blue Mt coffee. Its the same reason most of the nations lettuce and artichokes come from areas around Salinas, CA.

I agree that the price will drop a bit with national legalization but it will still have the Terroir that people will pay more for.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

If we're talking about a plant most casual users can grow in their homes, I do not foresee a Gold, er, Green Rush of lasting proportions from it,

Sure, I could spend hand over fist for "boutique" weed like I could for "boutique" wine, but why bother if it's as easy as growing a houseplant?

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   

I'm willing to cross that bridge when we come to it. How about you?

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   
No doubt it will be a valuable crop and perhaps the most valuable, but lets face it the methodology is sketch at best:

LEO and the DEA consistently overstate the amount they seize in raids. Why? Well if you spend $500,000 to take down 12 plants heads will roll with the waste of tax payer money etc. Overstating things allows you to go out and get more toys like copters, personnel etc. (its kind of like those cities that set up speed traps, then keep adding cops to generate more ticket revenue, and then add yet more cops)

As such its based on a super high seizure rate which is perhaps based in reality.

Oh and we don't have State troopers on our highways, its CHiP's you know like Ponch and John LOL

On a side note www.cdfa.ca.gov... 1/3 of the counties vegies and 2/3 of the fruits and nuts are grown here
If CALEXIT becomes a reality, you guys east of the Rockies better get used to beets and 5 Bean Salad in the winter LOL

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Like I said. I'm leaving it up to the reader to come to their own opinion on the estimates and figures. I'm sure there are plenty of valid reasons why you could find them misleading or wrong. I will point out that the article DOES allow for police underreporting of seizures all the way to 40% of the unseized crop. Not perfect analysis, but Alternet does seem to be acknowledge the need for a considerable margin of error here.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   

I've already told you. So long as I am not subsidizing anyone, I don't much care. I don't approve but if I'm not paying for it, then it's not my business.

And as for the rest, it will happen. It's simple supply and demand. More supply to satisfay demand means falling prices. The only way the prices won't drop is if you either have market interference via government or suddenly create a metric eff-ton of new demand to continue to keep the supply a scarcity that cancommand high prices to create that level of revenue all over.

Right now, Colorado and Cali are supplying all of their states plus the "weed tourism" business.
edit on 4-1-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   

If we're talking about a plant most casual users can grow in their homes, I do not foresee a Gold, er, Green Rush of lasting proportions from it,

Sure, I could spend hand over fist for "boutique" weed like I could for "boutique" wine, but why bother if it's as easy as growing a houseplant?

6 plants per house (or person) but many cites, even the most liberal ones, have already banned outdoor cultivation in preperation of the law. www.mercurynews.com...

Couple with alot of that is being exported and lets face it most people are basically lazy and will not spend the time needed to grow their own, indoors or out and will simply take the easy way.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   

I've already told you. So long as I am not subsidizing anyone, I don't much care. I don't approve but if I'm not paying for it, then it's not my business.

Good thing this plant will fall under vices like alcohol and tobacco and you shouldn't have to worry about such things. As you should be aware you can't buy those two things with food stamps for example.

And as for the rest, it will happen. It's simple supply and demand. More supply to satisfay demand means falling prices. The only way the prices won't drop is if you either have market interference via government or suddenly create a metric eff-ton of new demand to continue to keep the supply a scarcity that cancommand high prices to create that level of revenue all over.

Right now, Colorado and Cali are supplying all of their states plus the "weed tourism" business.

previous post in thread

Yep. That's the good old big three drivers of economics at work: supply, demand, and price.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
I thought legalized pot was about medical issues like pain. Hard to imagine this isn't more about recreation than medical.
Not that I care but...

2 different things. There's medical maryjane, which is now legal in some capacity in more than half the States. then there's recreational maryjane, which is legal in some capacity in 5 or so States. And some cities have decriminalized possession of various amounts of it.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   

a reply to: enlightenedservant

Hemp is like that sibling of a famous pop star sitting in recreational weed's coattails. It can't get the limelight it deserves because it is outshined by its more popular kin. There are a lot of great reasons to get behind it though and I certainly support it.

Sorry, I think I was unclear. I'm wondering if the wording in the legislation will also allow hemp production on a large scale. If so, I'd love to see this lead to large scale research on medical and industrial uses for cannabis and hemp derivatives, especially oils and industrial products. That research could also serve as evidence for legalization in other States.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

I wouldn't know about that. I haven't seen many people talk about hemp in relation to this bill. I'd have to look deeper on that. But come on, don't you like my analogy? I think it's pretty spot on.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join