It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who are you.......

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Who Are You

You might not be you...I could not even be me! All those online social accounts, facebook profiles, twitter and instagram accounts...they could all be someone else and you will not even have a clue that the fake you also has a series of online accounts set up complete with photographs and back stories...of you. Only it's not you...it's someone who wants to be you, and has decided if they can't be you, they will be the next best thing...your cyber doppelganger.

Here are a few stories about people that had exactly that happen to them.. how it happened, and how they dealt with it. I'm not trying to scare monger, we all know this happens to some degree, really is like the lotto...who "wins" and who doesn't is just a numbers game (at least in my head). I keep that in mind with regards to the credit card and data theft for financial gain.. I never really thought about a cyber doppelganger before...someone just wanting to be you, because they like being you better than themselves. Although I'm sure there is more to it then that..

So..no, not trying to scare anyone, but, it never hurts to reminds oneself from time to time that this can happen. Also, some of these are really interesting in regards to how they happened, and how the person dealt with the scenario.

1. Allyssa Griffiths

There was Allyssa Griffiths, a fashion blogger from Ohio, whose online stalker stole her pictures, status updates and even her friends’ pictures and stories for five years
more

2. Leah Palmer

Between the start of 2012 and January 2015, “Leah Palmer” stole more than 900 pictures from Ruth’s private Instagram account, and uploaded them as if they were her own. Leah had a Facebook page, several Twitter accounts, and even a Tinder account – all in Leah’s name, all using Ruth’s pictures. She would switch from one Twitter account to another without warning; the accounts would switch from public to private, apparently at random.
more

3. Carla Glasgow

I'm Carla, from Glasgow. I'm currently almost at the end of my first year at University studying English Literature, and one day I hope to be a writer. In my last year of school, starting when I was 16 (and a half) and ending when i was 17 (and a half!!) I was 'Catfished.' This means that I embarked on an emotional relationship with someone whom I had never met - and yep, you guessed it - this person (I don't think) was real. Or at least, they weren't who they said they were. This happened ago a year ago this week.
more

There's a ton more...these ones just happened to have their personal experiences detailed out a bit better than most.

The statistics are out there for anyone .. quick google search.. I was interested more in the emotional/life changing impact it would have on someone to have their identity stolen. Makes you wonder how many "yous" exist on the internet and if they are anywhere close to who you actually are. For the people above, they were not.

Also, what would you find out there about those other "yous"? How many people would believe that that fake you is actually you. One thing I did notice is that the doppelganger accounts seemed to get more followers than the real ones. Is there anyway to find out for sure if someone has stolen your online identity? These people in the stories above seemed to find out that it happened to them by accident...

Just thought they were interesting reads for anyone, well, interested..

As always,
Thanks for reading,
blend57

edit on 4-1-2017 by blend57 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: blend57

If you saw a birth of a star up on the night sky, would the night hold another star to gaze or do you wish it looked the same as yesterday?

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 08:42 AM
link   
You know, there are all flavors of crazy. I wasn't even aware of this particular brand. Thanks for sharing.

My thoughts: we give value to online persona's for various reasons. Typically it comes down to audience. The larger the audience, the more value the persona has. For an example from ATS, Isaac Koi and Phage both have highly respected opinions. Not that their persona would carry any monetary value outright, but im sure it could be leveraged into a cash grab of some sort. Because they are trusted enough to have an audience (albeit, small when compared to a major fashion blogger).

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Great analyze, like a kid learning to walk

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 09:08 AM
link   
bigfatfurrytexan

True.. reading through the blogs and such.. it seems in these instances the online id thieves were looking for something more valuable to them than money. One person even said that her doppelganger (I really dunno what else to call it) just pretended to be her because "she had the perfect life". I guess people do things for many reasons.. money, social status, relationships.. I just had never thought about it being for the last two I listed..but it apparently does happen..

The blogs are an interesting read.. the "If you leave" one is a little awkward to maneuver through, but is so far a good insight to the other side of the fence.. being fooled by one of the fake identity/accounts.

I'm glad you found some interest in this..thanks for sharing your thoughts.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Who-Who, Who-Who!

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I had two people coopt my screenname well after I started using it.

One is some jackass new ager who spouts cliché phrases trying to sound 'enlightened' and the other posts on a minor conspiracy forum doling out humorless replies.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   
NarcolepticBuddha

Thanks for the who's????

blend57

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I've used the same name on forums for the past 20 years, exactly so that anyone can research and find my posts and see if I am coherent in my description of who I am. I never really followed blogs. Recently I found the blog of a friend, and was rather discouraged to see that she presents herself quite differently than she is in real life, and that reinforced my idea that:
It is beneficial to discuss with others in the moment, but not to follow personalities.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Bluesma

Yeah, I get that... I just never knew before that people would steal your identity just to be you. Which, the one link of Allyssa Griffiths experience shows that that can and does happen..although to what degree I am unsure of. Looking at the statistics, I believe I read that only 19.2% of all online cyber identity theft activities are listed under "other" which is where I would presume this type of activity to be categorized as.

Just kind of shocked me and made me think for a minute about how you could be very much just an average person, doing average things...and someone else could be using your online persona to do nefarious things. A story that I read talked of a woman who was wanted for committing murder... Someone had stolen her identity and used it to do such a thing..

Nicole McCabe, an Australian woman who had been living in Israel with her husband for two and half years, was six months pregnant and happily awaiting the birth of her baby when she heard over the radio that she was one of 26 people implicated in the assassination of Hamas chief Mahmoud al-Mabhouh, who was wanted by the Israeli government for murder and arms dealing. Mahmoud had been smothered to death with a pillow in his hotel room in Dubai (always a 26-man job). Despite the fact that McCabe had not left Israel in over six months (and that trip had been to Australia, not Dubai), Interpol happily added this 27-year-old pregnant lady to their most-wanted list for murdering a high-ranking war criminal with her bare hands.
more

Anyhow.. just was reading through the stuff and thought some would find it interesting and thought I'd post it..

thanks to you and everyone who responded,
blend57
edit on 4-1-2017 by blend57 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-1-2017 by blend57 because: took out the not visited Israel because she had lived there..I misread..

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   
They say "Imitation is the highest form of flattery". Or the most extreme level of creepiness...
With the advent of social media comes all new kinds of classification of crazy. I cannot even fathom what would drive a person to the extent of pretending to be someone else for likes, or popularity or whatever. My god if you hate your self that much ..up your own game instead of copying another. I'm sure it would be far less exhausting than maintaining two or more identities...
I suppose how one would respond to this varies by situation and circumstances..but personally speaking if an individual became so enamored by what I posted online, I'd be sure to turn the tables and post nothing but tragedy before deleting the account entirely. No glitz and glamour and the fans disperse...hopefully. Unless of course they are the type who thrives more on gaining sympathy. Gotta love the interwebs for creating new ways to gain drama and attention.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I caught one of my exes doing this (I was in a physical relationship with her). She'd set up 6 fake accounts that I know of, full histories, pictures posts of other peoples lives. When I confonted her about it she said boredom made her do it. She'd aparantly been doing it for years. I think she probably gained some feeling of satisfaction from messing with other peoples lives (she was that kind of person).

The way these people hook you is really simple but you have to be on your gaurd to realise it. Especially if they want you to think that they met you before or have been to the same places as you. They use almost the same tactics as fake mediums, ask you a leading question then later repeat your answer back to you but with just enough spin to make you question yourself. Rinse. Repeat.

edit on 4-1-2017 by DeadElf because: text missing

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: DeadElf

I hacked her accounts that I knew about, I found more 20 men that she'd convinced that she knew them, using fake photos and their own words back at them.

The scariest thing I found out was that she'd set up an account as another one of my exes (before I knew her) so she could get me to offer up enough info to her that she could do the same thing to me but in person. She met me at the pub I used to drink at regularly and convinced me that we'd met before at that pub, several times. Even recounting very specific details. Looking back now I can't believe I could have been so blind.

A few months ago one of my brothers said she'd actually used the same tactic on him to gather info about me. I can tell everyone reading this that unless it's something that you're actively looking for, you'll never know until you're in way, way too deep.

Anyway that's my tupence thrown in.

Dead Elf
edit on 4-1-2017 by DeadElf because: text missing

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   
And this is why kids and the internet do not mix.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   
AccessDenied

I don't know what I would do.. one of the victims actually contacted her alter ego and had them delete all the accounts..then they just kept setting up new ones and there was nothing she could really do about it. Her doppelganger continued to and as far as I can tell still is pretending to be her. I'm unsure if there are more strict laws now or not.. as these people were not stealing any money or anything from their victims, no legal action could be taken back then..

DeadElf

Hmmm... I dunno if boredom is actually a truthful answer. And based on the rest of your story I truly doubt it was. Very strange..it is funny that the most important information that you could've been given always comes after the fact (regarding your brother) Maybe I am reading that wrong..and he didn't realize until after it was all over that she was doing such things.

Very interesting to read, thank you for sharing your tale. Did she ever go after money or anything other than the companionship part? Do you have any idea what her true end goal was, or was it simply just the thrill of making that connection with other people and messing in their lives?

makes ya wonder...

Thanks everyone for the posts and thoughts,
blend57

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   
One possible theory about motivation that might apply in some cases, though not all;
One person might idolise another to the point of wanting to identify with them as closely as possible.
Before the internet existed, I once read about a woman who believed herself to be the reincarnation of Madonna, or some such celebrity, quite oblivious to the fact that people who are still living would not have reincarnations.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   

When I was 17 I catfished people on the internet.

It was much easier back then when cams weren't so available. Nowadays... it must be harder. Just about every computer has a camera built in. What excuse does anyone have now? I would never become more emotionally involved with someone I never saw on live cam or met in person.

Judge me.
edit on 4-1-2017 by geezlouise because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   
geezlouise

If you wish to share.. share.. if ya don't, don't..either way there will be no judging from me.. choice is yours and thanks for responding

DISRAELI

Reincarnation of Madonna ..while Madonna lives..never heard of such a thing before..maybe I will look that up..sounds like it would be an interesting read..as for the rest of your post, I'm sure you are right.. it seems that way anyways..for some of the instances.. still looking a bit here and there..but the reasons seem vast with regards to why..

Thanks for your responses,
blend57

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   

With regards to my brother it was after the fact because I had picked up on what I'd done and happened to mention to him in passing one day (we have some really strange conversations), that's when he said that the same person had requested him as a friend and went through the messages they'd sent each other.

She definatly spent money like it was going out of fashion and for a while I was facilitating her spending spree's. I don't think it was about companionship, she seemed to always be playing mind games, really liked being on a powertrip and even tried to seperate me from my family (I come from a really big family) and friends. She was always one step ahead of any interaction that I had with anyone who tried to warn me about what she was doing, she'd prime me with half truth's so that her side of the story always seemed more convincing. When I confonrted her it actually took a really long time for her to admit anything to me, even when I shew her the evidence that I knew and could prove it was her she flat out denied it.

I think it all came down to having the power to effect someone elses life and she really didn't care whether it was positive or not. It's amazing the damage that someone like that can do to friendships (It's been 7ish years), I still get messages from some of my friends telling me that she's started talking to them trying to mine info about me. Most of them don't have anything to do with me anymore because it's too much hassle trying to fend off her constant attempts to get at/to me. I also get messages from her current boyfriends because she's set up profiles in my name to "persue" her.

I'm now very very careful about my online presence, I don't use social media other than to keep in touch with people I can verify. Never post anything on fb ect. I know she's probably got pictures of my wedding because the photographer used them for her fb and tagged my wife, nothing I can really do about that. My greatest concern is that someone will find her thinking it's me and be utterly duped as her profile of me is the only one anyone can find by searching for me. Even when I google my name it's all profiles of me that I haven't set up (like I said security conscious). When I sit back and think about it I should be utterly devistated but I think enough time has passed that I've just got used to the fact that this is how it is now.

Dead Elf

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   

For me it was a revenge thing. They hurt my feelings so I was gonna get back at em.

Happened in a chat.

I intended to come clean about it eventually in a revenge like, "ha! Fooled you!" And when that day came... ironically I actually had to work at getting them to believe that I had fooled them in the first place. That was a learning experience for all of us.

Maybe I'm evil.

Nowadays when people hurt my feelings I make art about it and write novel length fiction stories where I live vicariously through my own creations and satisfy my need for self-vindication through extensive daydreaming.

Can't really speak for anyone else but I also had some other girl steal my LiveJournal posts and pretend like she wrote them. I was flattered. I knew the girl in person somewhat and I couldn't be mad about it. Lol.
edit on 4-1-2017 by geezlouise because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join