It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I stopped watching all the news outlets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 07:53 AM
link   
It's been almost a year since I've stopped watching ALL the news outlets. I just don't find the hooks in the stories compelling. There's nothing the Democrats or Republicans are doing in politics that has anything to do with my life. My life is about having a job, wages, and cost of living. The politicians main purpose is to keep the status quo and make sure nothing really substantial ever changes. That is, changes in the favor of the workers as a opposed to the corporations. Wealth inequality is at all time highs. I very much doubt there will be any public policies in the next 10 or 20 years which will change that fact. MAGA just like Obama Hope is going to be just another pipe dream in a long list of say anything to get elected. I just simply do not give a shiite about the ragheads in Syria.

I've been much happier since I've disconnected myself from the political theater. I just redid my downstairs bathroom. Just focusing on my own life is a much better use of my time. The political theater is a waste of time.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Good for you! Starve the beast!!!

I quit watching mainstream news in 1998, after this:

It wasn't exactly my idea though... my family was tired of me yelling at the TV and banned me from watching the news. I think my hubby was worried I was going to throw something at the TV...

Fortunately, we had the web by then, so I haven't missed it and never looked back!
edit on 4-1-2017 by Boadicea because: spelling

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Observe, define and seize the moments all coming as the administration changes and a new structure in the political arena emerges. Now's the time, as all the people having tantrums are busy with ZER0 nothing besides crying, whining and their own little world of malcontent.

Time to take advantage is now! As for your other stuff...... meh... we all get that done on Saturdays and Sundays. Move Ahead

Giving up the news...... Score..!
edit on 4-1-2017 by Plotus because: additional bloviation

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 08:12 AM
link   
That's great for you, sadly I have an inherent need to keep on top of the political situation so I can't follow your example.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 08:43 AM
link   
My wife doesn't let me watch news anymore, excepting local news. She got tired of me expressing my outrage at all the outright lies being broadcast. The obvious agenda and spin....i just can't do it quietly. So she doesn't let me watch the news.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
My wife doesn't let me watch news anymore, excepting local news. She got tired of me expressing my outrage at all the outright lies being broadcast. The obvious agenda and spin....i just can't do it quietly. So she doesn't let me watch the news.

Are you my brother in law by chance?? My wife keeps me away from the TV.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: mikell

we started watching Trailer Park Boys in Netflix a few months back. We're on our 14th pass through the series currently. We both just got hung up on it.

For the most part we watch football and netflix together. She has shows she watches when she's alone, or im doing work. I don't watch TV without her, really. Maybe Agents of SHIELD from the Tivo. But im just not into watching commercials.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Good call ditching the news. As Boadicea posted.. starve the beast!!
I gave up the news for the similar reasons but I still follow alternative outlets loosely. I get most of my news-like-knowledge from ATS.

I can't stand reading the news because it's laden with more opinions than facts... not just CNN who does that, either.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Well I'm glad you are a working man. Sadly 90 million Americans (and growing no doubt) learned they can sit at home, not work, collect govt bennies, and play a role in Politics to keep it that way.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I appreciate you sharing your perspective.

I think there is a fear of being uniformed. Most of the stuff the MSM News talks about are things that are out of our hands leaving us pounding our stearing wheals or in Big Furry's case yelling at the TV.

The only action they seem to create are protests. Which do nothing but keep the News teams busy and employed. Create the news you want to report.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I hear a lot of members get their news from ATS. Guess where ATS get''s it's news.....the MSM.

What ya gonna do?

I work on call as a "stringer" for various new gathering organizations. Great fun, well paying, paid travel, gig.

www.britannica.com...

TBK.....I don't even watch my own reports.

edit on 4-1-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Observationalist

I think there is a fear of being uniformed. Most of the stuff the MSM News talks about are things that are out of our hands leaving us pounding our stearing wheals or in Big Furry's case yelling at the TV.

That's kind of my philosophy. If you can't do anything about it.. try not to give a fling about it. They coat it up in their opinions and perspective trying to tell you how to feel and think about the reported events too.. they get you emotionally engaged and hook ya... then you get addicted to it.

Even ATS gathered news is like that sometimes.

No news is good news.. tough addiction to break for a lot of people though. People want to be informed.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

a reply to: mikell

Have our wives been talking? I am in the same boat, can't say I miss it at all.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

The lies are so bad what's the point? It's a waste of time.

top topics

join