It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would a modern army rape and pillage?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
Would a modern army rape and pillage?

"Would" they?
They do all the time, all over the world.
That has been part of the soldier's pay.
Now, it is their just due/ power corrupts.

edit on 2-1-2017 by namelesss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
a reply to: JoshuaCox
The Russian army which reached Berlin in 1945 was fairly modern.
As for the modern American army, you may like to look up the story of My Lai in Vietnam.
When men have weapons in their hands, their conduct depends on the state of their discipline and morale.

That is considered the last time a city was sacked, but it was a very mild sacking historically. Also civilization has progressed quite a bit since then.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

originally posted by: crazyewok
Just ask the citizens of Mai Lai and a dozen other Vietnamese villages if the US army rapes and pillages.

What's that supposed to mean?

Have you ever been a foot soldier and had someone in a hostile village take a few pot shots at ya?

Let me tell you, after that happens a couple of dozen times ... after a couple of your friends get effed-up for the rest of their lives ... maybe there's a little lesson that an entire community needs to be taught. "Don't let your neighbors do something YOU'RE gonna regret."

'Restraint' is a liberal mindset in a hostile/combat environment. Bad idea to invite War into your backyard.

I thought your fist comment was a little messed up but then I figured you were joking.... the you said this!!!!

What is the matter with you.

Don't forget when your country gets invaded to just sit there, behave and get what's coming to you or you will be taught a lesson your neighbors won't forget.

Jack-boot thug. Feeling nostalgic today?

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Just ask the citizens of Mai Lai and a dozen other Vietnamese villages if the US army rapes and pillages.

Like I said there will always be war crimes and eyes turned.. however a massive societal glorification where every member is not only expected to participate, but where nearly every man can't wait to participate and then you get to gloriously tell the story at home...

There is nothing like that today.

They all had to lie , hide and be ashamed of their actions when they got home.
edit on 2-1-2017 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   

I believe you will be proven wrong by the the end of the decade.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

What's that supposed to mean?

Have you ever been a foot soldier and had someone in a hostile village take a few pot shots at ya?

Let me tell you, after that happens a couple of dozen times ... after a couple of your friends get effed-up for the rest of their lives ... maybe there's a little lesson that an entire community needs to be taught. "Don't let your neighbors do something YOU'RE gonna regret."

'Restraint' is a liberal mindset in a hostile/combat environment. Bad idea to invite War into your backyard.

So let's go right through and murder men, women and children then. Great idea.

I understand that soldiers go through their own challenges, but that is no reason to rape, pillage and murder people. It's quite disgusting that you are defending that.

edit on 2-1-2017 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

I have no doubt that it's still very much there just under the surface. What you're talking about is simply a cultural difference not a genetic one.

It's not as if we have evolved in ways that make plundering a conquered something of the past. We just changed our cultural perspective of it so it's not acceptable. Even then, not everyone believes that to be the case even now. Some people think it's perfectly justified, although they might not admit it publicly most times. But they're there.

They say that the human hasn't really changed in any significant way in quite a long time. Like thousands of years. So you could basically take a newborn from say 10,000 years ago or something and raise them now and they would be fine. They would grow and learn with today's environment pretty much like anyone else does. Their mental and psychological abilities would be the same. Only certain physical traits might be a problem. But we are no different than those raping and pillaging ancestors of ours. Take us back to that time and raise us and we'd be doing what they do in a heartbeat.

Like they say, times may change but people don't. Not mentally anyway.

My thoughts pretty much..

But your saying you don't think this generation could?? As raised today??

Kinda the same thing with fighting in a shield wall. Could a modern day speacial forces group beat your average Greek or Roman sheildwall, if they were given time to train. The only difference being the mentality of the two groups.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: RedDragon
Um. Russians & Japan in WW 2. Germany didn't do it but things just as bad.

Literally today.. ISIS? Africa?

Isis and Africa are not modern nation state armies they are rebel factions.

And the Russians in ww2 do count, but was considered a very mild sacking.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: MALBOSIA

The irony is that the people that are masters of our civilization probably still enjoy partaking in the behavior your described. The rule of law and the principal of morality were not given to us by our masters to protect us, it was to protect THEM.

We believe that our morals and principals are our strength that separate us from the animals but I think in reality the fact is that most actions of violence are inconceivable to those that are under the thumb of those that have no reservations about harming someone for personal gain.

Today, pretty close to the truth, but I'm not sure you could say the same of the past...

How many romans raged against slavery and the coliseum? A few I'm sure, but the average or a fraction of a percent??

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm
If you think about it we're still doing the same now in different ways. It doesn't always have to be an army that does it. A big bank or corporation that takes a country hostage economically does the same sometimes. It's people become labor slaves as they drain the resources, traffic their women and children, cause pain and suffering and loss of freedom for the people there and plunder everything for it's own gains.

The battle ground is less defined and the methods are less direct but the outcome is pretty much the same. We've just changed how we do it now. Like how we changed war from uniforms and lining up across from your enemy and fighting head to head to guerilla tactics.

Now we can plunder with our pens instead of swords.

Nor even remotely the same when your talking metaphorically lol..

Being really raped is multiples worse than being raped on the price of eggs lol.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 07:49 PM
link   

They could sure. Very easily. What I'm saying is that today it's just not accepted openly or encouraged like before. Now when it's done it must be done on the sly from public attention that's all.

We've made it a cultural change where publicly it's not accepted anymore. But that's just perception management if you want to do it and get away with it.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   

I didn't mean raped on prices. I mean wealthy organizations literally dealing in human trade and sex trade. That is still the same kind of rape.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   

ISIS has its own country, borders, military, taxation system, judicial system, police, schools... You may not like them but they are a modern nation state.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   

....and the Japanese Imperial army with their comfort women and The Rape of Nanking count double. Serbia, Somalia, ISIS, etc. all count, any mass armed organization fighting for nationhood is an army, to say otherwise is semantics. Men in combat will rape and kill if given the opportunity and lack of strong leadership...it's not about sex it's about power and opportunity.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Sorry, I don't know why these are posting twice....?
edit on 2-1-2017 by WilliamtheResolute because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

YOU are the invader. You really think that village won't be hostile? THEY ARE BEING #ING INVADED.

Let me tell you, after that happens a couple of dozen times ... after a couple of your friends get effed-up for the rest of their lives ... maybe there's a little lesson that an entire community needs to be taught.

Yea, the invading community needs to be taught they are the bad guys.

What would you do if the guy down the road hopped into your backyard and started taking stuff and destroying your property?

This is the exact mindset that disgusts me when it comes to the military.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   

ISIS has its own country, borders, military, taxation system, judicial system, police, schools... You may not like them but they are a modern nation state.

Not a modern one..nor do they have a nation. They have a loose collection of cities they are constantly losing and retaking.

Isis is the same as boca haram or some African warlord. Not as China, Russia , EU or the US..

Those are modern nations with modern armies.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99
This is the exact mindset that disgusts me when it comes to the military.

Yeah. I know.

Just be glad the military has been moulded into something Politically Correct for the time being. I assure you: were there no constraints, there'd be no restraints. Wars wouldn't be dragged out any longer than necessary and, consequently, the Military Industrial Complex couldn't profit-take as long as they get away with now.

One just needs to step aside and let human nature do what it does. Look at what it ultimately did for Japan!!

Killing Japanese didn't bother me very much at that time ... I suppose if I had lost the war, I would have been tried as a war criminal ... Every soldier thinks something of the moral aspects of what he is doing. But all war is immoral and if you let that bother you, you're not a good soldier. -Curtis LeMay (emphasis mine) Interesting Page

edit on 212017 by Snarl because: Attribution

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Let me share an incident with you. This happened to me a gazillions years ago. I was young then, and I just happened to be in the military, being in the military has absolutely nothing to do with the incident.

I had been out partying, I had something to drink, but I didn't go overboard because I was out alone and I had no designated driver. I am going to give you the condensed version of what happened, much detail will be left out but the meat and the potatoes of it is that on the way home I stopped at a 24 hour eatery. I noticed 2 guys that were at the club were also at this eatery, but I really didn't pay attention to it at the time. When I left the establishment they were standing outside. I smiled said "hello", and kept walking.

While driving home I noticed a car behind me that seemed to be following me. I had no intention of continuing my drive home until I was sure about the car behind me. I started making a bunch of random turns and sure enough it continued to follow me. Something clicked inside of me. Don't ask me what it was because I will never be able to explain it to you, but I could actually feel something in me change.

I became so cool and so calm that I actually remember feeling like everything had shifted into slow motion, including me. I knew what I had to do and my only fear was that I was not going to be able to pull it off. I drove away from my house and to a secluded area. The car continued to follow me. I was thrilled. When I got to a place were it was open enough that I could see clearly in all directions, there were no hiding places, no buildings, or people in sight. I stopped my car and turned off my car lights. I could see the two guys and they were cracking up, they stupidly thought they had hit pay dirt. When I opened my car door and started walking towards their car, they were so excited they were bouncing up and down on the front seat.

Then everything went wrong. The driver opened the car door but he didn't get out, the passenger started to get out first. It allowed him to pick up the glint of my weapon as I got nearer to the car. I knew it was over when he jumped back in the car and screamed, "Drive!" "Drive!" I kept walking slowly and deliberately to the car. The driver put on the car lights and I could see the terror in is face just before he closed the car door and took off like a bat out of hell.

I laughed and still to be on the safe side went over to a friend's house instead of home. She was surprised to see me, but let me in. I told her I had something funny to tell her. I sat at the kitchen table and my friend turned on the light in the kitchen, when she turned and looked at me, she clutched the clothing at her chest and gasped. She kept asking questioningly, "What happened?" "What happened?" I knew something was seriously wrong. She was terrified, and I was starting to become afraid. Now it was my time to ask the questions, I asked her, "What is wrong?" She pointed to the guest bathroom and told me to look. She turned on the light in the bathroom but gave me a wide berth.

I looked at myself in the mirror, I didn't know what or who I was looking at. My eyes were as close to what people typically call Black eyed children eyes as you can get. My eyes were very light brown, they have gotten a bit darker due to illness, medication, and age, but they used to call me the golden eyed girl. My irises where non-existent. My pupils were completely dilated, even in that bright light. My face was like marble, completely devoid of emotion. I looked like an android. Like there was no life in me. It scared me so bad, because I knew why I looked that way. I dropped to the floor and cried myself back to humanity.

My friend held me until I stopped crying, which seemed to take forever. It took us weeks before we could talk about that night. I would never have believed or understood what people are capable of when placed in the right circumstances, if I had not had my own personal experience with a break with humanity. I don't know if I believe in horoscopes or not, but if you read the classic description of a Scorpio, you will see a pretty accurate description of me. I saw this cup and I fell in love it because it describes me to a "T".

I don't think that people can kill another person unless they make that break. They no longer see another as human and they become the non-human themselves, on some level. It is a side of me that I know exists and pray I never look into the face of that creature, ever again.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 10:12 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...
www.forbes.com... l
In a word yes . the few times we know about it we may condemn it but that is a drop in the bucket .
Modern ? is 1944 modern enough for you en.wikipedia.org...
all it takes is look the other way heck many here would cheer if the person was muslum .
how many post about a would be criminal who may have killed or raped a women do people say I hope they get raped in prison .You feal justified in saying it when it was a man who did the raping or murder and do you feal justified when its a women who does the rape or murder ? well again going by the replys when it is a women I would say yes because man or women all of a sudden its she or he should be tortured or raped and killed .
So yes a modern army would and does rape and pillage any chance they get just because most of it does not get on the 6 pm news does not mean its not happening on a Regular basis .
Heck there are so many videos of US soldiers doing these things image how many were not on video .
But dont feal to bad its not just your American pure heros who are not so pure its every army every so called terror group the net is full of videos its on teh next street corner in your town my town every city every state every country .
We truly are savage beast and even humans dont have the market on savergy .

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join