It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disney: ‘Strong, Empowered’ Females In Star Wars Is ‘Purposeful’

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Is Disney saying there are no real, strong, empowered females in real life so they have to make believe there are in Movies?

All my girls (that includes my wife) are strong, empowered females. So I would have to say they need no Rey fantasy figures to look up to in their real lives.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting
a reply to: crazyewok

Thrawn is back in rebels.

Yes but he is not the same thrawn that curb stomped the new republic, who the only thing that stoped him was a random assassination .

Now they replaced the thrawn trilogy with the vile aftermath trilogy, the auther chuck wendig has turned his trilogy into a SJW platform. If you want a laugh look at his twitter, he is still throwing a tantrum over trump being elected! He puts the tard in libitard. Honestly if there was a stereotypical libral he would be it. And it all comes out in his travesty of his books.......they replaces the thrawn trilogy with that garbage......
edit on 2-1-2017 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Misterlondon

that is right Angelina Jolie proved that.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Half of the world population are women, the first 6 star wars were male lead, what's wrong if the next 6 are female lead?

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: JDeLattre89The last two have been fitting pieces of the movie together the Awakening was what has happened since Luke saved the universe. And rouge one was how R2D2 gotin the space ship when Darth vader caught princess Leah in the first movie.

They weren't all that bad.

The bad thing is paying $12.50 a piece to go to any movie and $6 for a super large coke and $6 and a half for a semi-large bucket of popcorn. that is the real rip off.
edit on 2-1-2017 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: pirhanna

I agree

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Not random assassination, but assassination by his own bodyguards. I found it quite fitting.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   
They are just some new Disney princesses.
WARNING Rogue One SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS
That Darth Vader scene at the end is both kick ass and bad ass though, and then Princess Leia.
I saw it January 1st, so having her in it made me roll a tear.

The CGI resurrections were good, but not perfect.
edit on 2/1/2017 by Lucas73 because: Added last line

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

The last two have been fitting pieces of the movie together the Awakening was what has happened since Luke saved the universe.

That's just it, they are re-writing an already well authored story (which is based on Lucas' vision) into what is garbage instead. If you want to know what happened since Luke saved the universe, I have a reading list about 100 books long for you.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDeLattre89

Not random assassination, but assassination by his own bodyguards. I found it quite fitting.

Well it was random for him, thats why it took him by surprise.
He never expected it. If he had his bodyguard would never have to into a position to kill him.

Alas it got replaced by SJW libral garbage

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   

I am currently re-reading Traviss's Republic Commando series . . . will have to go back and re-read Zahn's Heir to Empire next now.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: JDeLattre89 Yeah I am wondering where it will go next. I suspect they had to et these out some they can introduce new characters that we had not seen but were unseen in the past and the newer ones. Now they can kill off Leah, and Luke comes out of hiding to revenge the deaths of Leah and Han Solo, and then what enter into the dark side where darth Vader was trying to get him into from the beginning.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   

From my standpoint, I loved Rogue One. In my case, I could care less if the main role is female or male (although as someone stated earlier - a rather attractive female lead doesn't hurt). Disney is just taking a look at what the general society wants in a film.

Also on the side - I enjoyed the film in the same sense that people actually enjoyed the Hobbit messology: I never read the expanded universe novels, so therefore, Rogue One in my opinion closed off the gap between III and IV pretty nicely. Too often, the "in between" films open more plotholes before the official next chapter (Tauriel **cough** ). Without spoiling anything, I think that R.O. was pretty self-contained.

Plus, we all know K2SO stole the entire movie - admit it

-fossilera

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Anyone with kids young enough to watch cartoons can tell you this is par for the course with Disney.
As a proud father of a little man (6) and a little woman (3) I am always conflicted watching the Disney cartoons with my kids.
I both rejoice and am disgusted.

I rejoice for strong, non slutty, smart, kind, female main characters for my daughter to watch. (Sophia, Elena, etc.)

I am disgusted by the abject lack of male main characters for my son to watch who possess these quality traits.

Fortunately tv time is strictly limited, so their main role models are their mother and I.

Now they have a new one coming up, the Princess Knight. When little man asked why the show isn't going to have a *real* knight..(he likes medieval stuff and has a decent grasp of a basic European feudal hierarchy) I had no good answer for him.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I hate how everything is politicised nowadays.
I saw the movie and thought it was great, it never occurred to me to think about a woman or black guy being the leads, although Ill admit I did wonder how a black dude was a storm trooper, I thought they were clones.

My point being I just thought it was a Star Wars movie, I didnt see or feel any underlying agenda and as a white bloke didnt feel in any way under represented or discriminated against.

Why cant a good movie just be a good movie regardless of penis's or skin clour

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I haven't seen it yet, but... aren't all movies in the last 10 or 20 years about strong female leads???

I mean, even Disney changed their story boards to appeal to this trend- the characters in their animated movies ceased to be passive princesses waiting to be saved by the love of a man a while ago!

These days, they are all about girls saving the world, the universe, whatever... this is the pendalum swing that many sociologists saw coming beforehand. The males in most movies these days are either vicious bad guys, or sweet but stupid nice guys in need of the guidance of a young female.

New Agers were calling it the "rise of the Goddess", some sociologists were just calling it the backlash from a period of paternalism. You go to one extreme, it inevitably leads to the other eventually.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Or maybe they're just sick of amle dominated films.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 06:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion
A Boba Fett Movie.

Boba Fett is not a strong empowered male lead, he got swallowed by a giant dessert cootchie.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
Cant a movie just be fun?

Does it matter what gender the lead is?

Least it was not some Zshe zhe PC main beast.

Indeed.

The result is the new ghostbusters movie.

Not fun, not funny and not profitable.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   

George Lucas was trying to make art.

This is the most laughable thing I've ever read about the Star Wars franchise. MAYBE with episode 4 he was trying to make art but at no point afterwards was the Star Wars movies about making art. You pretty much invalidated your entire argument with this one line.

Heck, it's even hard to call episode 4 "art" since it's really just a rewrite of an old Japanese samurai flick. The Film Star Wars Stole From

I'm not trying to give the impression I don't like Star Wars here either. I am a HUGE SW fan, but it is delusional to not acknowledge that George Lucas was cashing in on Star Wars since the 70's. Or do you think this was made for the sake of art?
edit on 3-1-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join