It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How's about a global bill of rights ?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   
An idea I've been kicking around for a while now is what if we (America) proposed a very basic bill of rights for the world; and then actually tried to enforce it? Oh I what many of the naysayers will say, but I'm mostly talking about our economic might (which is still pretty colossal) as enforcement and only military force as a last resort. Very simple rules that most civilized folks can agree upon.
For a first one how about don't murder? Who defines it? Us. Things like no killing for fun, or because they have what you want and they don't wanna give it up or because they don't pray the way you prefer. And then women and children are not chattel property to be bought sold and traded according to your whim. So I guess I'm saying no slavery. And comes my pet peeve, no torture. I believe sexual mutilation belongs here . In a lot of north Africa this means clamping on to a young girls sex organ with a pair of plyers , dragging it out and slicing it off with a razor. This is supposed to make her less likely to stray later in life. That's it for me, I wanted to keep this simple plus I'm old ,cranky and tired. And if someone would explain to me how to make paragraphs I would be in your debt, I have no idea how I did it up above.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: thudpuddy
For a first one how about don't murder?

We already have that here, how's it working out for us?

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I,m just saying put it in writing so you have a leg to stand on when you start treating them like a dog.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   

I,m just saying put it in writing so you have a leg to stand on when you start treating them like a dog.

Homicide is already codified in every United States jurisdiction as the highest felony you can commit, has that stopped anyone? Writing things down does nothing.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   

I'm talking about worldwide. In a lot of the world killing your enemies to solve your problems is a little too accepted .

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   

I'm talking about worldwide. In a lot of the world killing your enemies to solve your problems is a little too accepted .

It's been done. Educate yourself.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Good luck getting everyone to agree to the same rules.

Values vary significantly between different cultures.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: thudpuddy

Im afraid it wont work, theres this cultural bias thing. Some cultures dont feel say a homosexual has the right to live, or that women can drive a car, or children have the right to marry whom they choose...no I think we have seen in Europe recently, how this world is not mature enough nor in agreement enough to subsist within a commonly accepted global standard of social protocol.
edit on 2-1-2017 by BlueJacket because: sp

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   

An idea I've been kicking around for a while now is what if we (America) proposed a very basic bill of rights for the world; and then actually tried to enforce it? Oh I what many of the naysayers will say, but I'm mostly talking about our economic might (which is still pretty colossal) as enforcement and only military force as a last resort. Very simple rules that most civilized folks can agree upon.
For a first one how about don't murder? Who defines it? Us. Things like no killing for fun, or because they have what you want and they don't wanna give it up or because they don't pray the way you prefer. And then women and children are not chattel property to be bought sold and traded according to your whim. So I guess I'm saying no slavery. And comes my pet peeve, no torture. I believe sexual mutilation belongs here . In a lot of north Africa this means clamping on to a young girls sex organ with a pair of plyers , dragging it out and slicing it off with a razor. This is supposed to make her less likely to stray later in life. That's it for me, I wanted to keep this simple plus I'm old ,cranky and tired. And if someone would explain to me how to make paragraphs I would be in your debt, I have no idea how I did it up above.

Not every culture or country is as enlightened as western values.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   

An idea I've been kicking around for a while now is what if we (America) proposed a very basic bill of rights for the world;

You mean like the one we have had since 1948?

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   

it's accepted because it works, if it didn't, we would have only accidental deaths, not deliberate murders

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   

In a lot of the world killing your enemies to solve your problems is a little too accepted .

My point is it still happens here. How about we fix our own problems before trying to solve the world's?

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   
The number one reason is America cant afford it, It's already tried to be the worlds policeman but the coffers are empty, seriously empty. In fact, they are so empty the money can not possibly be paid back. the number one goal of America for the next, forever ,is that the Dollar stays the petro dollar.

If that turns into, (And its a matter of when and not if) If that turns into the petro yuan, Or petro Ruble, There wont be any cash to pay the local policeman never mind a foreign one.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Okay one more time. A Bill of Rights for the world that is held to be the highest law and backed up by the United States of America and everybody that would'nt want to be seen as arguing against those first three rights. And that has never happened before . What are are people, progressives?

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   
What????

You want a one world government???

Make paragraphs with the enter key. It's the big one on the right side of the keyboard, it usually has an arrow on it, pointing toward the left.
Hope this helps.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Okay one more time. A Bill of Rights for the world that is held to be the highest law and backed up by the United States of America and everybody that would'nt want to be seen as arguing against those first three rights. And that has never happened before . What are are people, progressives?

Did you even read what I posted? What gives you the sense that the USA would enforce this? You can't be serious. The USA doesn't have the right to rule the world. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights goes far beyond the US Bill of Rights. Please go read it because you still obviously haven't a clue as to what you are talking about. And believe me, Progressives love this stuff.
edit on 1/2/2017 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   

I detest the idea of anything being done on a 'global' basis.

If people want to change things they should act locally and change them.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   

I like the idea, but on the whole, people are too relativist to enforce something like that with force or coercion. The best would be to argue for it with example and evidence, and over time it might gain a foothold.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Trying to force your view in the world has created a mess since WWII. I would think getting the US in order first would make more sense. Lots to focus on. Minorities are still not getting a fair shake in the areas that matter and we have seen that some people get more protection under the law in the US than others.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   

You're right, we don't have the right to rule the world . But we have an absolute right to not deal with countries and people who we don't much care for. And as for your universal whatever; it would'nt surprise me if my original post carries as much weight.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join