It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Has the 2016 election changed our perception of truth?"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   
At the beginning of each year the New York Mills Regional Cultural Center holds a debate called "The Great American Think-off". This years debate is on the subject, "Has the 2016 election changed our perception of truth?"

The Great American Think-Off is an exhibition of civil disagreement between powerful ideas that connect to your life at the gut level. The Cultural Center, located in the rural farm and manufacturing town of New York Mills, sponsors this annual philosophy contest. People of all ages are encouraged to submit an essay of no more than 750 words for a chance to win one of four $500 cash prizes and participate in the live debate to ultimately answer the question, determined by audience vote.

I always enjoyed the contest and thought it might be interesting to open it up to ATS members and see what they come up with. Perhaps, if there are willing participants, ATS members could pool together some resources and make an entry or two - provided one person was selected to champion each entry. There are some very creative thinkers here after all...

Short of competing in the event, the question still needs to be answered. Has the election changed our perception of truth?

Great American Think-off

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel

Great American Think-off

More like the great American derp off.

2016 election was a circus of stupidity and ignorance right and left.

You really did prove yourselfs to be the UK big dumb brother

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Truth has always be subjective.

Facts never are.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I'm going to guess debate isn't your strong suit... :-)

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Not sure what there is too debate.

The 2016 election was a cluster# of lies, stupidity , propaganda and manipulation from all sides.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

OK, then how do you explain the acceptance of some facts and the denial of others based on political affiliation? Wouldn't that qualify as perception of truth?

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   

It sounds like you are firmly in the "Yes" category. If people believed the lies and propaganda it did change their perception of truth. Say a lie enough times and it becomes true...so to speak.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Great American Think-off

That's the funniest thing I've ever heard.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   

OK, then how do you explain the acceptance of some facts and the denial of others based on political affiliation? Wouldn't that qualify as perception of truth?

My perception of the truth hasn't changed.

Acceptance or denial of facts to fit a narrative is commonplace. Facts just "are".

I am being "truthful" when I say I believe that I am the best looking poster on ATS.

The facts may say otherwise.

In my opinion.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Yes, I always knew the Big Establishment Media (CNN, NBC, etc.) were biased but now I know they are completely in the tank for the DNC and Far Left agenda.

I have no faith in media now and everything must be scrutinized. They promoted Trump for the express purpose of securing him the Republican nomination because they believed that was their mission (get the worst candidate possible to represent the Republicans so that Hillary could beat him).

Well, it backfired.

Fools.
edit on 2-1-2017 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Not sure what there is too debate.

The 2016 election was a cluster# of lies, stupidity , propaganda and manipulation from all sides.

Just like every election campaign that has ever existed.

The truth? People can't handle the truth.
edit on 2/1/17 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Its starting to sound like an oxymoron, which is the basis for my essay...

But it is a cool contest and some of the entries are truly fascinating.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

I think you are right, and that is a sad commentary on the election itself. Especially in that the media and their handlers knew that hillary was a joke candidate as well and went to such lengths to help secure her victory rather than find a more electable candidate. The looking glass of truth is so muddled and fractured now that there is no sense looking in it at all. What you will see is nothing more than a dirty disjointed reflection of what is.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   

This election changed my perception on how corrupt the democratic party is.
Changed my perception on how powerful the shadow government is.
Changed my perception on CNN ABC NBC FOX from biased news to absolutely proven propaganda.
IT changed my view on where we are at in the information war.

This election was the most interesting election ever because of how broken it was and people could see it breaking.

in the end my perception of our ability to find out the truth has improved. While my trust of people telling me the truth especially people connected to power has gone down.

edit on 2-1-2017 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   

the question still needs to be answered. Has the election changed our perception of truth?

Nah, just exposed the lying POS they are.

They really thought Hitlary was gong to win so pulled out all stops, got caught up in their own affirmations. Now they have to deflect by blaming their candidates loss on "Russian hacks", instead. Big wheels keep on turning...

They need fodder to justify ratcheting up sanctions on Russia, so make up ever more crap to justify ongoing policy of Russian containment and old cold war drama. Like evicting diplomats for 'spying', they hope Russia will do the same so they have something to complain about Russia. Not that they are spies at all , like the DNC hack thing, theres no proof presented of spying diplomats, either.

In fact they arrest spies, and would display all the evidence, not just throw them out. Russia isn't returning in kind, knowing not to bite.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Short of competing in the event, the question still needs to be answered. Has the election changed our perception of truth?

It has changed more the trust and mistrust of how truth is delivered. Truth always remains the same.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   

To me it's just an illustration of entrenched bias, same as it ever was.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

the question still needs to be answered. Has the election changed our perception of truth?

Nah, just exposed the lying POS they are.

They really thought Hitlary was gong to win so pulled out all stops, got caught up in their own affirmations. Now they have to deflect by blaming their candidates loss on "Russian hacks", instead. Big wheels keep on turning...

They need fodder to justify ratcheting up sanctions on Russia, so make up ever more crap to justify ongoing policy of Russian containment and old cold war drama. Like evicting diplomats for 'spying', they hope Russia will do the same so they have something to complain about Russia. Not that they are spies at all , like the DNC hack thing, theres no proof presented of spying diplomats, either.

In fact they arrest spies, and would display all the evidence, not just throw them out. Russia isn't returning in kind, knowing not to bite.

And ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ATS, where Russian Propaganda didn't happen, fake news is purely the domain of the MSM, and if the CIA and FBI agree something is true, it must certainly be false.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Truth has always be subjective.

Facts never are.

That's basically what I was going to say, plus the reality that IF someone lets themselves get manipulated by an election process and the garbage that comes with it, they're not trying hard enough at life.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   
The truth doesn't change.

If anything changed it was the perception of the ones who claimed to tell it to us.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join