It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Steve Martin on Carrie Fisher: Can a Man Still Notice a Woman’s Beauty?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
He should have been free to offer what he did in mourning without those who had no business interfering, piping up to silence him.

And he probably realised that there is absolutely no need to make a tweet about that, or if he didn't he sure does now.

Of course it is an over-reaction, but it is as much an over-reaction to say that it indicates that women cannot be complimented because of the over-reaction of a unrepresentative group of people. Surely, given Carrie's activism, we can understand that she attracted the admiration of a variety of fringe groups of all shapes and sizes, and you know, perhaps they're mourning in the only way they know how to.

Everyone is blowing it up, if we're going around pointing fingers, we have to make sure not to leave our own good selves out.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

That's all I am saying, there is a lot we don't know.

The whole story is just entertainment, and I don't find it entertaining in the same way that you do, different things about the story interest me. That's allowed you know?

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 09:35 AM
link   
We as a country aren't going to be able to take this PC leftist nonsense for much longer before it all comes crashing down. Hopefully we start to see things get better once this whole election is finalized.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: dogstar23
It's instinctual, this innate desire to be protective and to be the defender. The behavior is attractive to many women, as there is an instinctual desire to to find protection against harm.

And that is achieved by placing women in chains and clothes that they wouldn't wear through choice? "Many women", I don't know, but all I can guarantee, not

originally posted by: dogstar23
I wouldn't consider it to be saying something about our society, it says something about our basic basic instinct/desires.

You wouldn't? It may say something about your "basic instincts/desires" but it doesn't about mine. I don't want to be a sex slave to Jabba the Hut. For that, and the Ewok's, I never liked Return of the Jedi, it was a sign to the eleven year old me that Lucas had sold out. I have yet to be disproved on that latter point.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
I am Nickn3 and I have been called a misogynists, a sexist, a racist and many more vile names.
This usually occurs when some would-be SJW can't think of anything relevant to say.

The way to go comfortable in your own skin with no need for

anyone else's validation of yourself!

I simply don't care what they think.
The name calling attackers are a waste of oxygen and best to be ignored.

Very well said!

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

originally posted by: Nickn3
I am Nickn3 and I have been called a misogynists, a sexist, a racist and many more vile names.
This usually occurs when some would-be SJW can't think of anything relevant to say.

The way to go comfortable in your own skin with no need for

anyone else's validation of yourself!

I simply don't care what they think.
The name calling attackers are a waste of oxygen and best to be ignored.

Very well said!

So is it okay to reward name-calling if you agree with the names being called?
edit on 2-1-2017 by Anaana because: entire word missing....arrrghhhh

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker
We as a country aren't going to be able to take this PC leftist nonsense for much longer before it all comes crashing down. Hopefully we start to see things get better once this whole election is finalized.

Out of curiousity, between you and me like, how is it going to come "crashing down"? What's the plan?

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Konduit

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Anaana

So is it okay to reward name-calling if you agree with the names being called?

I don't get your point .....

My point being people calling names to shame or belittle someone else

for their opinions is their bad.

Stand up for what you personally believe ..... you know "Sticks and

stones".........

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

I agree, I do...but calling people a waste of oxygen, isn't that a bit like calling people "useless eaters"?

I mean, do we always have to sink to the same level?

edit on 2-1-2017 by Anaana because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Anyone who can read what Martin said there and actually be pissed off about it, need to check themselves into an anger management program, or a psych ward.....whatever is the closest

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Fist dp of the year.......great
edit on am11201717America/Chicago02p10am by annoyedpharmacist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: annoyedpharmacist

I don't know, because an awful lot of people seem to be just as up in arms about what "these" people said too. It's like a self-perpetuating cycle. My perspective, some extremists respond extremely, other, opposing, extremists respond in kind.

It's like watching ping-pong, thoroughly entertaining.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Anaana

I don't know, because an awful lot of people seem to be just as up in arms about what "these" people said too. It's like a self-perpetuating cycle. My perspective, some extremists respond extremely, other, opposing, extremists respond in kind.

It's like watching ping-pong, thoroughly entertaining.

I get what you are saying, but getting irritated with the nonsense some of the SJW's spout doesnt consume our lives, like it appears to do for those that have made being offended their living.

ETA: post 420, wooooooooooo!
edit on am11201717America/Chicago02p10am by annoyedpharmacist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 10:51 AM
link   

I'll let you into a secret, I have no idea what SJW even means...

...I don't need to, before you go to the effort and all., had I been interested I would've looked it up.

Either way, I am sure that they feel the same about the people they disagree with too.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Anaana

Small Jewish Woman

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Of course men can see physical attributes of a female AND compliment them/comment on them. I/m female, and it seems I'm allowed to say Carrie Fisher was one hell of a hot piece of ass, especially in her younger years. So do explain why a man can't say the exact same thing.
It's a stupid, stupid double standard that needs to DIAF along with feminism.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa
I have found, from personal experience, those that scream like this the loudest are the ones that secretly yearn to receive those compliments. However, their internal hatred for themselves and low self-esteem forces them to suppress it and project that anger outward at others. Mainly because they cannot face their own faults and must attack others to get some feeling of worth in this life.

It is sad really. I pity those that live like that, they suffer at their own hand.

There is nothing I nor anyone else can do to change them, nor should we. Let them wallow in their secret self-pity, and do not give in to their demands and reinforce their behavior.

Call me whatever name you like, but I am comfortable in my skin, are you as much in yours? If not, look deep into yourself and ask why.....because the answer is in there, not outside yourself.

I do have to comment on this, because I agree it's usually those who'll never ping too high on others' attractiveness radar (or believe they never will -- low self esteem) that crave the compliments, thus they have a cow over them being said at all. I think it's no coincidence that among people I know, the most vocal & staunch about not speaking about someone's appearance, even positively, are the least attractive or the lowest of self esteem. I tend to ignore them, though, I do not need someone living life as the proverbial Debbie Downer of Compliments telling me what to think.
edit on 1/2/2017 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   
ctrl-lefft self hating others' blaming socialjustwarriors.
i am lucky, i blame myself for ALL my problems.

but bitter people, especially 35 years and over single people, blame everyone else for their problems, instead of owning up and realizing you create your own universe.

i wish steve martin had gone on twitter and said f off.
i would have gone on there and told people off.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join