It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Untaught History- Christians forced entire nations to convert at the point of a sword

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

You mean the Vatican. Even other Christians were punished. Why do you have to generalize even the victims?

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Miracula2

originally posted by: rukia

Jesus said to love one another. I rest my case.

He said kill or be killed.

Go read the Sermon on the mount, it amazes me how some people think they know something and dont know anything

Where does Jesus say kill or be killed

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

perhaps referring to LUKE 19:11-27, "But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.”

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Guns, Germs, and Steel - Jared Diamond.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: glend

perhaps referring to LUKE 19:11-27, "But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.”

So you/someone? takes one verse from a parable, a story to explain a story, and make it Christs teachings.

Yes, there will be a time of judgement BUT, Christ was not teaching what was inferred by Miracula, He was not teaching Christians to kill, go read the the whole parable, not just a verse.

perhaps Glend, perhaps

www.youtube.com...
edit on 3-1-2017 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 02:02 AM
link   
a reply to: FiftyIsthenewthirty
You were doing so well all the way up to "and only, Pope", that should have been Satan, the pope is just a figurehead of 'Deception Inc.' a.k.a. Babylon the Great, the world empire of false religion including Christendom, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, Shintoism, etc. (you can tell when tracing the roots of their beliefs and religious philosophies, theosophies, back to Babylon; see 2nd and 3rd video I posted earlier on page 7, or my thread called "One myth leads to another", which is also an article with multiple pages that I linked in my previous comment). They replace the pope with another every few years or decades or so. You could argue that the Roman Catholic Hierarchy takes a leading role in Babylon the Great with its 1.2 billion adherents (2.4 for Christendom) to emphasize that influence, see also what Jesus said at Matthew 7:13,14. Note that "Chistendom" is not the same as (true) "Christianity" (the following of and obedience to Christ and his Father and his God, Jehovah; who both teach the same things, so if you're truly following one of the 2 you're also following the other, but that implies obedience to their instructions and not having your own version or biased interpretation of their teachings and instructions and how the obligation to follow them works for a Christian in relation to our sinful nature and God's willingness to forgive and in which situations he's unwilling to forgive, made a comment about that in the thread on the religion and theology forum about "Why can't God forgive Satan...."). Such as the instructions below from Jesus:

Go, therefore, and make disciples of people of all the nations,+ baptizing them+ in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you.+ And look! I am with you all the days until the conclusion of the system of things.”* (Matthew 28:19,20)

Those + signs lead to other bible verses to get a better idea what Jesus was talking about.

Babylon the Great: Reasoning
Babylon the Great: Insight, Volume 1

2 Corinthians 4:1-5:

Therefore, since we have this ministry through the mercy that was shown us, we do not give up. 2 But we have renounced the shameful, underhanded things, not walking with cunning or adulterating the word of God; but by making the truth manifest, we recommend ourselves to every human conscience in the sight of God. 3 If, in fact, the good news we declare is veiled, it is veiled among those who are perishing, 4 among whom the god of this system of things* has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, so that the illumination [Or “light.”] of the glorious good news about the Christ, who is the image of God, might not shine through. 5 For we are preaching, not about ourselves, but about Jesus Christ as Lord and ourselves as your slaves for Jesus’ sake. 6 For God is the one who said: “Let the light shine out of darkness,” and he has shone on our hearts to illuminate them with the glorious knowledge of God by the face of Christ.

Notice the clear distinction between "God" and "Jesus Christ". The clear distinction between "God" and "the image of God", i.e. not God himself. If someone is an image of someone else, he's not that someone else (that would be blatantly ignoring what it's really teaching). Anyway, I was quoting for verse 6 after I decided to post the video below since that's what the song is based on:

edit on 4-1-2017 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 02:30 AM
link   
You were never taught this? You're just learning this now?

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 03:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
I meant everything man made was first an abstract thought. About 80% of your day is in this abstract world we live in. You are in the world the whole time you are on your computer as example. But my main point is religion is a byproduct of how we think and whether God is real or not our brains would not comprehend the thought if we didn't have the ability to think in the abstract.

Ahhh interesting, I in fact take it farther than you. The way in which we have named and ordered the natural world influences our perceptions of it...so...either way, yes, I agree, but I think I already did.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 03:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

originally posted by: TerriblePhoenix

The True Church is in Golgotha.

If you think so

I know so because I thought about it and it seems obvious to me Golgotha is not a geographical location as it was mentioned by the Gospels alone until Medieval Jew"sh authors started writing about it.

It's the mind, the place of the skull or "Golgotha" the true Church and Temple and in the brain is the Holy of Holies.

Except
My mistake I thought You were referring to the church as a building or place.
Christians see it as a gathering of true believers, according to the bible at least, we can hold a church meeting anywhere there is room. A church is a gathering, not an individual

Maybe other religions see it as a building, in their mind, you can as well, no harm

It is technically a church.

But not the Golgotha of which I speak.

So why would I want to view it as a church, and why would you say "It's OK" as if I ever would view it that way when I don't now?

And as if I would need your approval?

Such arrogance for a rather undereducated (at least Biblically) Christian!

An educated Christian would have understood what I meant by Golgotha.
edit on 4-1-2017 by TerriblePhoenix because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 03:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: glend

yes - and i can't wait it.

oceans of Hurt and Pain has that devious bloodline executed over uncountable millions of adamite souls.

- and all they did was being proud on themselves, and scoff.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 03:37 AM
link   
and you are in the danger zone, as well.

Get Out.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 04:14 AM
link   

If you think so

I know so because I thought about it and it seems obvious to me Golgotha is not a geographical location as it was mentioned by the Gospels alone until Medieval Jew"sh authors started writing about it.

It's the mind, the place of the skull or "Golgotha" the true Church and Temple and in the brain is the Holy of Holies.

Except
Christians see it as a gathering of true believers, according to the bible at least, we can hold a church meeting anywhere there is room. A church is a gathering, not an individual

Maybe other religions see it as a building, in their mind, you can as well, no harm

So why would I want to view it as a church, and why would you say "It's OK" as if I ever would view it that way when I don't now?

Then don't and it's not ok for you
I am of the mind you are like buzzy wigs, anything I say is going to inflame your feelings

Let it go, it's not my buisness, feel free to think anyway you want, allow me the same.
Golgotha, totally irrelevant

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 04:32 AM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic
Couple of more videos regarding really rarely taught history or current information about Christianity rather than Christendom that were missing from my comment before:

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: glend
None of the accounts you speak of claim that these were Jesus' last words. They're just recording what they heard and they don't necessarily need to have heard every line. The phrase "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" in Matthew 27:46 is followed by "Again Jesus called out with a loud voice and yielded up his spirit." in verse 50 so you misrepresented that account as if those were claimed to be Jesus' last words (cause he doesn't have to have said the same thing twice from that piece of information). Don't take my word for it, but from my reading of the 4 accounts, I come away with the impression that his last words were:

“My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”
“I am thirsty.”
“Father, into your hands I entrust my spirit.”
“It has been accomplished!”

But I could have gotten the order wrong, especially the "I am thirsty" might have come first. And who knows, he might have whispered something as he was dying that none of the bible writers heard or considered worth writing down. Some people's obsession with "last words" is not a Christian obsession.

What about seeming contradictions in the Gospels?

Critics have long claimed that the Gospels are full of contradictions. Historian Durant sought to examine the Gospel accounts from a purely objective standpoint—as historical documents. Though he says that there are seeming contradictions in them, he concludes: “The contradictions are of minutiae [trivial details], not substance; in essentials the synoptic gospels agree remarkably well, and form a consistent portrait of Christ.”

Seeming contradictions in Gospel accounts are often easily resolved.

Source: The Gospels—History or Myth?

A valuable fragment of John’s Gospel was found in Egypt at the turn of the 20th century and is now known as the Papyrus Rylands 457 (P52). It contains what is John 18:31-33, 37, 38 in the modern Bible and is preserved at the John Rylands Library, Manchester, England. This is the oldest manuscript fragment of the Christian Greek Scriptures in existence. Many scholars believe that it was written about 125 C.E., a mere quarter of a century or so after John’s death. The amazing thing is that the text of the fragment agrees nearly exactly with that in later manuscripts.
An Early Defense of the Gospels

Early in the history of Christianity, critics argued that the Gospels contradicted one another and thus their accounts could not be trusted. The Syrian writer Tatian (about 110-180 C.E.) came to the defense of the Gospels. He felt that any apparent contradictions would disappear if the Gospels were skillfully harmonized and blended into one account instead of four.

Tatian set about preparing such a harmony. It is not known whether his original was in Greek or in Syriac. Whatever the case, about 170 C.E., Tatian completed his work, known as the Diatessaron, a Greek word meaning “through [the] four.” Why should you be interested in this noninspired composition?

In the 19th century, critics began to promote the view that none of the Gospels were written before the middle of the second century C.E.; hence, they could have little historical value. Ancient manuscripts of the Diatessaron discovered since then, however, provide definitive evidence that the four Gospels—and only the four—were already well-known and accepted as a collection by the middle of the second century C.E.

Discovery of the Diatessaron and commentaries on it in Arabic, Armenian, Greek, and Latin led Bible scholar Sir Frederic Kenyon to write: “These discoveries finally disposed of any doubt as to what the Diatessaron was, and proved that by about A.D. 170 the four canonical Gospels held an undisputed pre-eminence over all other narratives of our Saviour’s life.”

Source: Why You Can Trust the Biblical Gospels

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic

I love the way people gloss over glaring, actual contradictions in the Bible as "seeming" when any who take the time to not rely on others ''reseaerch" and apologetics can see they are many on beyond seeming.

Which is inevitable and not the end of the world, it's better to say yes, the Bible has contradictions, sometimes there is an answer why, sometimes it is just human error.

Denying truth helps none.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   

If you think so

Except

Then don't and it's not ok for you
I am of the mind you are like buzzy wigs, anything I say is going to inflame your feelings

Let it go, it's not my buisness, feel free to think anyway you want, allow me the same.
Golgotha, totally irrelevant

The place where Jesus was crucified is irrelevant to you because you don't understand what it means.

Like I said, an educated Christian would, and they would not be educated if they didn't.

Not in Christianity that is. The average Christian doesn't know much about Christianity. They think being a Christian is the one way to get to heaven so they can't all be too bright to trust that old scam.

Look at me, I am saved!! Lol.

Yeah, you can have your intellectually repugnant beliefs, I will stick to what I know, a great deal more than you.

About YOUR religion.

I guess that makes me more of a Christian because you follow the leader of a Church, in one way or another.

I follow God. And know the scriptures of many religions, you don't even know your own.

You thought Golgotha was JUST a church, didn't even know it was a word in the Gospel, so that is not a guess.

You don't know your religion, you probably think it makes you a better person, or look like one, but it doesn't.
edit on 4-1-2017 by TerriblePhoenix because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: TerriblePhoenix

I guess you are better than me
Oh well....

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   

I guess you are better than me
Oh well....

Certainly I appreciate the compliment but more educated doesn't mean I am better I just care more about actually knowing vs believing what 2,000 years worth of church corruption has given us as truth.

And most of the time they were lying, still are.

Where as I actually know the Bible like my own biography, not completely do I remember everything but I have been involved in it all my life.

And I know Christian theology and the Bible do not agree on the most essential points.

Quit whining and read something you sound like you walk around with "why me" on your shirt.

Cheer up and learn something if you are going to say you are a Christian learn it, or else you don't even know what it is.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Are you being facetious with your thread title? "Untaught" wouldn't be the adjective I'd use to describe this history. It's rather well known actually. Sure it isn't discussed much in church, but these days church isn't our only education. It's hard not to be exposed to this history. Not to say it isn't true. It is. It's just that you aren't really sounding any bells of alarm here with your thread.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Well thank you for that outpouring of wisdom and depth of intelect
I hear buzzy wigs has a club, why not join up

I have learned something, sarcasm is lost on you TP

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join