It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When "THEY" shut down the Internet, where will we go?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I don't think this will ever happen, the internet is way too useful to them and helps them to spread disinformation and propaganda easily. I don't think they'd take away a tool that is so useful to them.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I think we will see each other in Internet Withdrawl treatment centres!

2nd

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

I always agreed with this line of thinking.
If you were trying to create a database on your populace detailing individual people's connections, families and interests, what the he'll could be more successful than Facebook?

Ats is different, you don't have to post anything true or personal if you prefer.

To me, Facebook and the like represent stupidity, naivety and lack of self confidence.
Just my take.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: LumenImagoDei
I don't think this will ever happen, the internet is way too useful to them and helps them to spread disinformation and propaganda easily. I don't think they'd take away a tool that is so useful to them.

They may have thought that way previously , but after this election has gone "off script", I am not so sure anymore.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   
no internet anymoore....is like throwing back to the 50's....
the eldery can survive but oure children are becoming zombies...
but that is not the isseue...
the whole world is depending now on it... so it will be an E.L.A for humanity.... a reply to: tribal

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: tribal

Go home, love your relatives if you can stand them.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: VinylTyrant

If you were trying to create a database on your populace detailing individual people's connections, families and interests, what the he'll could be more successful than Facebook?

That is in fact already happening and has been. In fact, that data is being used to create psychological profiles for targeting propaganda. Meet Dr. Aleksandr Kogan:

Kogan assured the MTurk users their Facebook data would “only be used for research purposes” and remain “anonymous and safe”.

However, the Facebook data was then used to generate sophisticated models of each of their personalities using the so-called “big five” personality traits and characteristics – openness, conscientiousness, extraversion, agreeableness, neuroticism (known as the OCEAN scale).

By summer 2014, Kogan’s company had created an expansive and powerful dataset. His business partner boasted on LinkedIn that their private outfit, Global Science Research (GSR), “owns a massive data pool of 40+ million individuals across the United States – for each of whom we have generated detailed characteristic and trait profiles”.

Documents show SCL agreed to a contract with GSR, whereby it would pay its data collection costs in order to improve “match rates” against SCL’s existing datasets or to enhance GSR’s algorithm’s “national capacity to profile capacity of American citizens”.

edit on 2017-1-1 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Not surprising about Facebook. I haven't used it in years and heard it is tough to actually delete a profile entirely.....is this true? I kind of want to delete mine now.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Maybe people will get more into amateur radio. It is a nice thing to have for emergencies. Plus you can listen in to first responders and more.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I hear alot of you guys saying "the internet is too useful", "they need us to use social networking to track us" "businesses would have something to say about it" etc.

However, those apparently obvious road blocks are easily overcome. For example, I stipulated the clause that they would allow "official" and "approved" websites in ONE particular shut down scenario. That would not in fact significantly impact business at all for it is highly likely all the REAL businesses, the ones approved of or not posing a threat to the gov etc would be allowed to continue operating and people would be allowed access and to buy products from them.

As to the social networking road block: what if they have already learned all they really need to know about us by now? I mean, its not as if they dont have the best equipment available and arent able to run simulations and wargames using everything they have learned already. I do agree social networks have some utility in tracking people, but you can track anyones use of the internet without social networks being involved. As soon as youre connected to your ISP you're being tracked.

And there is something i havent seen anyone really address which is this: TPTB are experiencing an unprecedented and very precipitous loss of control over the narrative war and with the possibility that the various "gates" might be investigated as soon as Trump takes office, possibly exposing the most heinous things the most powerful people are into, that BY ITSELF could be an end game scenario for THEM which could cause them to invoke their nuclear option(s). If "they" perceive it is likely to probable that the secret underworld of their activities could be brought to light for all the world to see WHY WOULDNT they do something as drastic as unplugging us all and starting a war or releasing a mass contagion?

What about THAT angle?

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

I think we will see each other in Internet Withdrawl treatment centres!
lol :>) yea you are probably right . I was out shoveling all this global warming this morning so it may turn out to be helpful in getting things done and keeping this old body moving .

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   
The Internet internationally could be shut down by the government quite easily. Whether "they" would actually do it or not is subject to debate. However, shutting down the internet regionally is a far different proposition, and likely couldn't be done very easily, if at all, without massive cooperation from virtually every single ISP in the country (and there are thousands).

International internet traffic passes through 4-5 major aggregation points before leaving the borders. These routing points are in fact pretty accessible to the government for things like surveillance and intelligence. These would be vulnerable to such an act. Local and regional internet traffic can route any number of ways across regional areas. The permutations of routing paths is almost infinite (at least within the USA). Modern routers are designed to "learn" their electronic neighbors and load-balance traffic among these neighbors. When one path becomes unavailable they simply route the traffic across another path. ISP routing tables are massive. To shut something like this down is a lot more complicated than just hitting an "off" switch.

Any paralysis of the Internet would almost certainly have to come from a much more active, conscious, act and wold involve some sort of a massive denial of service attack the likes of which have never been seen before. Could it be done? Maybe, but it's highly unlikely. It's unlikely because it wouldn't take ISP's very long at all to figure out the source of such an attack (and believe me, they talk...even competitors have active dialogue going 24x7x365). Local news (radio and TV) would pick it up first, then national MSM. I have absolutely zero trust in the MSM, but they'd pick that story up no matter what. The biggest question people would be asking is "why?" and "who?" And, you can bet your sweet backside "the Russians did it" for an explanation wouldn't hold water longer than 5 minutes! Why? Because that same outage would be affecting the media too...and they'd go berserk trying to get to the bottom of it, if for no other reason than their own selfish interests.

When it quickly became apparent that the outage was isolated to certain countries the proverbial cat would be out of the bag.

Hope this helps.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   

As to the social networking road block: what if they have already learned all they really need to know about us by now?
But they know that we can and do change our thinking and strategies . If it could be done using AI it might be a bit more of a threat but as the "fake news" meme has taught us they would need to hire every X prostitutes and even then they don't have the numbers or the $$$ . Humans are and can be very creative .I don't think they could create a air tight system on the internet because they need it and want it and it has put them in a catch 22 situation they though they would be able to handle but too many people have seen the bs and are creative enough to get around it .

Without us and the input of $$ and cents Bill Gates and his types would go out of business . They would have to shut down the NSA . not that I would be against that but do the math and you will see there is a small chance of it happening in total.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

That's ridiculous. Nobody will shut down internet, it will become more controlled. That's all.

A cosmic event or similar could shut down the internet.

A cosmic event could, so could an EMP type event (similar physics); these would affect the "internet" only because it would affect the computes attached to the internet more so than it would affect the ISP's routing the traffic themselves. Many of these installations are shielded against such events. So, the "internet" would likely still be working, but there just wouldn't be any equipment capable of connecting to it (certainly regionally anyway).

edit on 1/1/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: annoyedpharmacist

The last I looked, Facebook was claiming that data associated to an account would be deleted within 90 days of a user requesting an account deactivation (excepting certain items like messages to other users) but who knows if that's the case?

Even if it is, data is being cached by multiple entities (web archivers, social media archivers, etc) for some amount of time and of course, Kogan represents just one of probably countless efforts to surreptitiously harvest this data.

Then of course there's all the data that Facebook has sold or otherwise provided to third parties.

In other words, that data already exists elsewhere even if Facebook removes it from their servers. Maybe a better strategy is to purposefully dope one's social media with erroneous information to render it useless. Drive the noise up to mask the signal.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Outside!

Dun dun duh!

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Outside

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Outside to play, like we did as children.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   

If they could, and they can.

If they did.

Wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

The net has become the worlds best propaganda outlet the world has ever seen.

Ham radio.

Radio free America.

You can't stop the signal people.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   
We didn't have the net at school but blimey it must be easy nowadays to study, we had to goto the library I can only imagine what would happen to all the young adults who can not remember a time without the net or mobile phones.
Thats why I have stuff printed on to paper just incase it all goes down, things like basic first aid, how to make things, how to identify what we can and can't eat.
I do a lot of stuff outside and have a secret hiding place If shtf I have 6 months of dried rations buried nearby and a fresh water supply.
I would just wait out 6 months before having a look whats going on....then strap on me armour and swords and rule all mad max/medieval like.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join