It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3,000 years ago, it ruled the Mideast, now blown to pieces Nimrud

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Out with the old and in with the new ? Ideology ? Other cultures have burned and destroyed their history books because they felt the important history would begin with them and their new regime ... China and d Pol Pot's Cambodia comes to mind along with vast libraries destroyed by invading dumb*ss hordes... But now we have others who want to destroy everything they believe their skyfairy might find offensive.. I am really sick of these animals and hope they are wiped from the face of the earth to the last fighter.

NIMRUD, Iraq (AP) -- The chilly December wind whipped rain across the strewn wreckage of a city that, nearly 3,000 years ago, ruled almost the entire Middle East. Rivulets of water ran through the dirt, washing away chunks of ancient stone.

The city of Nimrud in northern Iraq is in pieces, victim of the Islamic State group's fervor to erase history. The remains of its palaces and temples, once lined in brilliant reliefs of gods and kings, have been blown up. The statues of winged bulls that once guarded the site are hacked to bits. Its towering ziggurat, or step pyramid, has been bulldozed.

The militants' fanaticism devastated one of the Middle East's most important archaeological sites. But more than a month after the militants were driven out, Nimrud is still being ravaged, its treasures disappearing, imperiling any chance of eventually rebuilding it, an Associated Press team found after multiple visits in the past month.

hosted.ap.org...

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 05:19 AM
link   
It's sad to think that Persia was a very real superpower of its time. It's a shame to what it's become today. Such great history in those lands vanquished by radicalized religious men...

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 05:28 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

I am really sick of these animals and hope they are wiped from the face of the earth to the last fighter.

I agree , for me it started with the destruction of the Bamiyan Buddhas in 2001.

And continues today with the wanton destruction carried out by Daesh , stupid people doing stupid things.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Of all the devastation in the Middle East the vandalism committed in Nimrud is, to me, the most heartbreaking.

Everything irretrievably broken. That's our history, our most precious artifacts, chucked out the window. They were heritage to all of us, not just the current occupants of Iraq.

I've got a few Babylonian and Akkadian cylinder seals that I bought before the illegal invasion of Iraq. Back then they were small, affordable little curiosities.

I wonder how much more precious they are becoming now that so much else has been destroyed? That's precious in a 'historical' sense, not monetary.

So sad to think that my little collection may have increased in significance due to these events.
edit on 1-1-2017 by berenike because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 06:26 AM
link   

I can almost - almost - understand the reasoning behind destroying these structures, for people blinded by religious self-righteousness and hatred. But what is equally sickening is that they sell most of the treasures to satisfy their own greed, which pretty much obliterates any drivel they spout about false icons or whatever.
Idiots.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 06:27 AM
link   
If Daesh got their hands on the Dead Sea Scrolls (and they will not), they would find that they are LOSERSSSSSSSSSSSS!

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Not that I am offering excuses
But I remember Pol Pot slaughtering some 3 to 6 million in the name of atheism
Stalin same bigger death toll
Mao, same same, much bigger death toll

No Sky fairys needed
It's not a belief non belief thing, it's a human thing

Good old Hitler did it as a pagan

The US does it over land and oil, did it against the natives and also slaves and can't stop meddling in the ME, maybe their meddling is half the problem, maybe?
Again, no sky fairy needed, just selfishness and greed

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Meh, Babylon ideology is alive and well today
edit on 1-1-2017 by Corruptedstructure because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 07:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
Not that I am offering excuses
But I remember Pol Pot slaughtering some 3 to 6 million in the name of atheism
Stalin same bigger death toll
Mao, same same, much bigger death toll

No Sky fairys needed
It's not a belief non belief thing, it's a human thing

Good old Hitler did it as a pagan

The US does it over land and oil, did it against the natives and also slaves and can't stop meddling in the ME, maybe their meddling is half the problem, maybe?
Again, no sky fairy needed, just selfishness and greed

^^ all true...
but it's double worse, when a fabricated 'terror group' does these things,
*by direct order* from a large institutionalized religion [it's HQ starting with V..] ,
úsing but another of their religious masks for people to go blame,
with the GOAL to Siphon-off energy of anger from millions of peoples because of these atrocities...

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 07:30 AM
link   
nothing so Devious
as a club, sitting in the middle,
devising tricks and rituals,
masking as goodcop badcop [cause vatican and islam are same egyptian root !] ,
setting up people against eachother
and then watch gleefully the oceans of mutual Hate

trying to let all people imprison themSELVES in this matrix, they lead

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Afghanistan was once a Buddhist nation, Pakistan was once Hindu and Lebanon was Christian... see a pattern here? Europe is next.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 08:56 AM
link   
It is very hard not to react in a way that would make us as bad, or worse than the sub-humans responsible for this. I would like to bulldoze a thousand mosques for every historic treasure that is destroyed in the name of the religion of peace, but that would be as uncivilised and savage as the Islamic scum.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: CulturalResilience

I should imagine that most Muslims would like to join you, since they are no friends of Daesh either.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Konduit

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: beansidhe

I should imagine that most Muslims would like to join you, since they are no friends of Daesh either.

I can honestly say that I would like to think so.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   
The Islamic State has been doing it's utmost to destroy the history and culture of the areas it occupies. They tried to destroy the ruins of Palmyra as well.

They also want to destroy the Pyramids of Giza and the Sphinx. Arguably the greatest structures ever built by man.

The latter isn't a new idea. The Pyramid of Menkaure is to this day scarred by a failed attempt to destroy it at the end of the 12th century.

It's all in vain. Soon the Islamic State will be defeated in Syria and Iraq, and this senseless destruction will be all that remains of their "Global Caliphate"
edit on -060010am1kam by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLotLizard
It's sad to think that Persia was a very real superpower of its time. It's a shame to what it's become today. Such great history in those lands vanquished by radicalized religious men...

Everybody seems to see history differently .
I think it was funny how , when the movie '300' came out - how most Americans related to the religious maniacs ( Spartans ) and not the great empire ( Persia ) . Ironic and possibly racist take on things .
But , to be fair : ISIS did not shoot the face off the Sphinx , or steal the obelisks ...

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
The Islamic State has been doing it's utmost to destroy the history and culture of the areas it occupies. They tried to destroy the ruins of Palmyra as well.

They also want to destroy the Pyramids of Giza and the Sphinx. Arguably the greatest structures ever built by man.

The latter isn't a new idea. The Pyramid of Menkaure is to this day scarred by a failed attempt to destroy it at the end of the 12th century.

It's all in vain. Soon the Islamic State will be defeated in Syria and Iraq, and this senseless destruction will be all that remains of their "Global Caliphate"

Pyramids were once dressed in a white limestone that literally made them glow in the moon and starlight. It was looted and used by the religion of peace to build tolerant mosques.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   

They had golden peaks too. Truly would've been a sight to behold. Nothing like them built since. Largest structures on Earth for 3800 years.

I think when humans are long gone, all that remains of us will be those pyramids.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka

They had golden peaks too. Truly would've been a sight to behold. Nothing like them built since. Largest structures on Earth for 3800 years.

I think when humans are long gone, all that remains of us will be those pyramids.

They wont be if the savages get their way.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join