It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thread limit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 03:28 AM
link   
To address member's complaints of content quality...

How about a thread limit? Only one thread per member per day? Or even better one thread per member per week until you make a thread which receives over 100 flags then your limit is one per day.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 03:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
To address member's complaints of content quality...

How about a thread limit? Only one thread per member per day? Or even better one thread per member per week until you make a thread which receives over 100 flags then your limit is one per day.

Thats an idea.... but nobody forces anyone to read anything..... simple click and it all goes away

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 03:34 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

the magic eight ball says - "your chances of success are not high"

see my thread from last week

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 03:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Zimnydran

It's not from a personal point of view. It's addressing the site as a whole, from a newcomer's perspective perhaps.

Obviously we're not forced to look at anything but if we took that view on everything nothing would be special anymore.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 03:47 AM
link   
People want more big threads they need to flag the ones they see.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 03:49 AM
link   
100 flags? So a popular topic or opinion is likely to be allowed to post daily and an unpopular topic or opinion not?

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 03:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Dumbass

It has its flaws clearly, the 100 flag rule. But I'm sure there's a way.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 03:59 AM
link   
There is an existing automatic time interval between threads, though it is shorter than a day. It was introduced in response to one particular member going mad and trying to create a dozen interlinked threads in the space of a single evening. In combination with the facility to alert content-less threads, that ought to be enough.

Your suggested barrier is absurdly high. One thread a week? I did two myself in the week before Christmas, on the Friday and then on Tuesday or Wednesday. They were not content-less, I assure you. So I am one of the people who would be restrained by your proposal, and I object to it strongly.
And have you thought through how hard it is to attract 100 flags to a thread? You would be creating a real elite.

In any case, I'm not convinced that the people producing content-less threads are also doing them in quick succession. Quality and frequency of threads are different issues.

edit on 31-12-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 04:31 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I'm perhaps the wrong person to opine on this issue, as my threads tend to be widely spaced. It's really hard to tell, at least in my experience, what sort of thread will take off, or won't.

I've seen some threads that I thought would go for weeks, go no where. I've seen others, *cough* moon landing hoax *cough*, that have gone for quite literally years, when they really shouldn't have gone more than a day, and a few dozen posts...

IMHO, and that's all it is, to limit the number of threads as you're proposing would, in all likelihood, prevent great threads from being posted.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 04:37 AM
link   

You will lose so much traffic if you ever enforced that ridiculous rule, and this is coming from someone with only two threads under his belt.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Arguably, not all threads with over a hundred flags are of good quality...
Similarly there are countless threads with very few flags that are excellent, well written and interesting. Disraeli's right, a thread writing 'elite' would emerge who could publish one thread a day on their favourite subjects, while the rest of us mortals would have to make do.

I don't have an answer though; maybe just flag the ones you love, ignore the others and write some excellent threads for us to read (and flag
)

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   

You can't manage content quality this way. It simply doesn't work, plus 'shades of censorship by default". I totally get your dissatisfaction with a large quantity of poor threads, but until the Mods have time to more strictly enforce the T&C's of you can't just post a video with "hey watch this and what do you think?" or the more annoying "same topic posted in multiple forums" we just have to man up.

If people had the fortitude to let these crappy threads languish instead of going on there and commenting about what a crappy thread it is, we could solve this rather quickly. Rewarding bad behavior also doesn't work and negative attention is just as counterproductive.

Thanks for putting this out there, as it were, cause I've been ignoring it hoping it's just a growth phase of the forum we have to wait out.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   
We just had this discussion...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

edit on Sat Dec 31 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: and i kant speel

join