It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

aircraft that never flew.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

I used to go to Biggin Hill airshows as a nipper.

Loved the BAC Lightnings and Buccaneers.

On a BH web chat a guy posted that he was parked up on an agacent road ( too mean to pay!) Sat on his car roof when a Phantom on afterburners came over so low it burnt his hair, burst his eardrums and took the paint off his car roof. He said "but it was worth it"!

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

LOL I went to a couple, not there though Farnborough and the like. The Vulcan was always the one for me..You could feel the power in that thing not just hear it

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Oh yes. It rattled my bones a few times!

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 02:23 PM
link   
It's easy to look at the TSR2 in isolation and blame its demise on politics. But in the wider picture, Britain was all but bankrupt, so poor in fact that about half of all railway stations and a quarter of the service was axed by the man they called Dr Beeching. So although we lost a fairly vital aeronautic industry, we simply couldn't afford it. Maybe if the UK had discovered North Sea oil and gas 10 years earlier we would have found out just how good, or bad, the TSR2 was!

And yeah, the Vulcan. When those afterburners were turned on your teeth rattled.
edit on 23-5-2023 by unifaun because: forgot vulcan

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: unifaun
And yeah, the Vulcan. When those afterburners were turned on your teeth rattled.

You've never been close to a Tomcat on burner. You can feel your internal organs vibrate.

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Never done the Tomcat thing.

But have watched insane landings and take offs at Skiathos in Greece.

There is a Taverna near the beginning of the runway. Which is a very short one. The planes back up right to the perimeter fence and spool up on full for take off. Civ planes so no afterburners.

Are warning signs to keep away. But some folk foolishly ignore them.

So you can quaff your ice cold glass of Mythos and watch those Muppets get blown into the sea by the jet wash.

Enjoy:

youtu.be...

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

I was crossing the flight deck of the Forrestal in 1985. I'm watching the director guiding the Tomcat on to one of the bow catapults. I see him signal for the plane to turn right, making it clear for me to cross the deck. Well the pilot turned the wrong way and I went head over heels about 150 feet down the flight deck.

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

You've never been close to a Tomcat on burner. You can feel your internal organs vibrate.

I was under a B1-B flyover once and I swore I felt just that :-)

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: TXRabbit

I used to work maybe a block away from Opa-Locka airport. When they did airshows they used to use the airport to land the military jets used in the air shows. Once the air shows were done the planes would leave on Monday. You'd hear the aircraft take off. But they would circle back around and "BUZZ" the tower low on the runway. When the B-1 would buzz the tower. It make an ungodly racket. The whole building would shake and we'd run outside to see this shape just zoom past over the runway. Crazy loud.

<< 1   >>

join