It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GRIZZLY STEPPE – Russian Malicious Cyber Activity

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

Quit acting like you haven't already been schooled on how the DOD and FederalGovernment.gov aren't all out stooges of American Imperialism that have been subjecting US to perpetual war propaganda of the completely deceitful and censorship ridden varieties.

But since you wont let up, why the hell would you an Australian be so hell bent on defending the US.gov's / US.mil's drippingly rampant militaristic GLOBAL propaganda & censorship agenda???
edit on 30-12-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 06:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
a reply to: UKTruth

i am not going to read it - for several reasons :

1 - i dont understands it either [ the technical details of a computer forensics report ]

2 - i am not making the claim that " russia hacked the 2016 presidential election ` - so i do not require evidence that they did

3 - i am going to take no special action based on wether they did or did not [ ie - if they did then i shal ................. ] - i am just a bloke in the UK who will go for a cycle ride this aft - i am not going to imposse sanctions on the russian govet

my only contribution to this issue - is to point out the absurdity of dismissing something you addmit you dont even understand

so - carry on

OK so you want to remain ignorant of the detail and yet contribute to the thread - interesting.

You don't have to be a computer scientist, network admin, or have any special skills to know with certainty that the document contains no proof at all of the claims made by the media and unnamed intelligence sources.
Most of the document is actually not related to the claims - rather a basic 101 on server security. It also contains a very basic overview of an every day phishing attack - one you will have likely encountered yourself hundreds if not thousands of times (perhaps without even knowing).

There is nothing at all to add any new information to the speculative claims we have already had - ergo it can be completely dismissed as useless.

Enjoy your bike ride - might do the same.

edit on 30/12/2016 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

Hey ... ! Noice to meet you !

We Aussies have a ..
I dunno
.. skewed sense of humour ?!

This time of year is akin to going "Troppo" !www.urbandictionary.com...
edit on 30-12-2016 by Timely because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I must be a shill!

Zomahgawd!

You really are a scared little dude aren't ya?

Get your bug out bag ready mate, martial law is right around the corner...its been right around the corner since like 2002...but it's nearly here man!

Or is Trump gonna save you?

edit on 30/12/16 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

Happy New Year .

You Aussie Shill
Ypu !

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

US.gov's / US.mil's drippingly rampant militaristic GLOBAL propaganda & censorship agenda

And what is this?

Paranoia.

That is what paranoia does, it must be.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Timely

Happy new year to you too!

I did ask nicely for an expert opinion too...I would like to get a better understanding of what it means before dismissing it...that's not too much to ask is it? Poor snowflakes.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Using the term "Russia hacked the election" is nothing more than disinformation being used on people. Combine two boogie man words, Russia and Hacking.

Saying they said "hacked the minds of some voters" is more appropriate.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 07:06 AM
link   
This article from July 2015 discusses APT 29 (one of the groups mentioned in the report in the OP)

A malicious backdoor, dubbed Hammertoss, has been unmasked as an ingenious tool employed by a notorious group of Russian cyber-criminals operating with advanced persistent threat (APT) tactics.

The group, known as APT 29, is identified as a probably-state-sponsored actor active in the Russian espionage scene. According to FireEye, Hammertoss is designed to make it difficult for security professionals to detect and characterize the extent of the group’s activity. It also performs data exfiltration.

www.infosecurity-magazine.com...

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 07:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus
This article from July 2015 discusses APT 29 (one of the groups mentioned in the report in the OP)

A malicious backdoor, dubbed Hammertoss, has been unmasked as an ingenious tool employed by a notorious group of Russian cyber-criminals operating with advanced persistent threat (APT) tactics.

The group, known as APT 29, is identified as a probably-state-sponsored actor active in the Russian espionage scene. According to FireEye, Hammertoss is designed to make it difficult for security professionals to detect and characterize the extent of the group’s activity. It also performs data exfiltration.

www.infosecurity-magazine.com...

Is there any revelation you are making here? Russia has not just started hacking recently and it's not news that they would be hacking political parties. So far the 'evidence' seems to be - Russia are known hackers of US institutions, so they were trying to influence the election. What about the last election?.. the one before that... and the one before that..and...? What is the specific change of circumstances that leads to a conclusion this time that warrants the accusations and link to Trump - or wikileaks?

What about other countries? Here is a story about China hacking the federal govt last year.
China hacking

Why the Russian focus only?

Here is another story from 2014 of Russia hacking Whitehouse computers.
Russia hack Whitehouse in 2014

Why no outrage then? What has changed?

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
There is another thread on this also.
It's quite clear after this ridiculous paper that the intelligence services have zero evidence to support the propaganda fed to the media to parrot to the public.

Once again, I ask you what you would consider to be "actual evidence." Putin swearing on a Bible that Russia did it?

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 07:18 AM
link   

That the group APT29 has been known about for some time, has been identified as a Russian state sponsored group 18 months ago.

Does it not add validity to the claims made in the report?

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

originally posted by: UKTruth
There is another thread on this also.
It's quite clear after this ridiculous paper that the intelligence services have zero evidence to support the propaganda fed to the media to parrot to the public.

Once again, I ask you what you would consider to be "actual evidence." Putin swearing on a Bible that Russia did it?

Some simple evidence that Russia aimed to hack in order to influence the election would be nice. So far, none. They have not even shown any information to the claimed RNC hack, which is the basis for their speculation that Russia did not release that information so as to only hurt Hillary.
Russia has been hacking for some time - including the Whitehouse servers (see above). What is different now?

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 07:21 AM
link   

That the group APT29 has been known about for some time, has been identified as a Russian state sponsored group 18 months ago.

Does it not add validity to the claims made in the report?

The report makes a reasonable (and almost certainly true) claim that Russia hacked the DNC. That is not the accusation being made though.
The claim is that they did it specifically to influence the election, that they passed documents to wikileaks.
Russia has been hacking the US for years. The US has been hacking for years - including their allies. It's called spying.

What is the reason for the major public and media focus now?

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 07:25 AM
link   

I have no answer for that?

Butt hurt?

Other details not yet released?

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 07:32 AM
link   
The total of this "hacked the election" seems to be:

Russia may or may not have been behind or helped with the gathering of the Podesta emails which by virtue of their release on Wikileaks influenced the minds of some voters in the 2016 US elections.

Any other actual government computer intrusions by Russia do not have an actual bearing on the election.

It is being used as an excuse to confront Russia over difference of opinion in world politics and armed conflicts. Nothing new other than the event. It gives peace of mind to some US citizens for the ramping up of conflict between the US and Russia.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   

I have no answer for that?

Butt hurt?

Other details not yet released?

It may be that they have not yet released all the information - maybe some specific links between APT29 and wikileaks, or further some link between APT29 and the RNC/Trump campaign. That would be evidence. We'll see later I guess (or at least get a summary) if such evidence exists, which is looking unlikely.

The focus now, on the face of it, would appear to be a simple case of being upset that their preferred candidate lost the election.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Some simple evidence that Russia aimed to hack in order to influence the election would be nice.

So you admit that they hacked the DNC, and you admit that the released information from that hack may have influenced the election, but you cannot bring yourself to conclude that it was intentional?

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
The total of this "hacked the election" seems to be:

Russia may or may not have been behind or helped with the gathering of the Podesta emails which by virtue of their release on Wikileaks influenced the minds of some voters in the 2016 US elections.

Any other actual government computer intrusions by Russia do not have an actual bearing on the election.

It is being used as an excuse to confront Russia over difference of opinion in world politics and armed conflicts. Nothing new other than the event. It gives peace of mind to some US citizens for the ramping up of conflict between the US and Russia.

Indeed - outrage that the truth could have influenced the minds of citizens.
The source, given the long history of hacking, is irrelevant. Unless of course there is evidence of links between the hackers and wikileaks and/or the hackers and the RNC/Trump campaign.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 07:37 AM
link   

My take:

The events surrounding Syria and Iran have put the US and Russia at odds. This is being used to justify changing the game. It's all a mind game until the shooting starts.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join