It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need some new hand weights.. and some advice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Ok, so I am looking to buy a pair of dumbbells. I have a pair of the adjustable ones, but they are too light for me now. (25 pounds) I was told I need to increase the weight to 30 or 40 pounds (adjustable).

I like mine..but they are very expensive and just wanna see if anyone else has used the bigger versions of them and if it is worth buying the bigger versions. Or what the better buy is with respect to company, as well as if cast iron weights are better (thinking maybe because you can buy weights versus buying a whole new set of dumbbells) But I don't think they are as easy to change out weight as the adjustable ones..Rubber versus vinyl versus cast iron as well.. any thoughts on this stuff would be appreciated.

But really..just looking to see if anyone has tried these:

and how they like them in comparison to the regular dumbbells .. once you get into more serious weight are they worth purchasing?? (for the weight I use they are very convenient)

Any tips or help with purchasing and getting the best value would be helpful.. (as well as if you know of a cheaper site to purchase them at other than amazon.. one you've purchased from before)

thanks,
blend57

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Just off the top of my head:

Shake Weights:
www.youtube.com...

Tug Toner:
www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   
IAMTAT

lol..thanks anyways.. just wanted to see if someone owned them before I spent the money..and what they thought about them investment wise..

thanks,
blend57
edit on 29-12-2016 by blend57 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I have a pair of dumbbells where you can adjust the weight by adding removing discs, but ideally I think you want fixed weight dumbbells after you figure out which weights you use the most. They feel the best, which is why is what they have at the gym.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: blend57

Depending on if you have a set of free weights already, I'd just get dumbbell bars that will accept those weights, or if you don't have any, get a set that accept the olympic-size weights and buy appropriate weights to fit on that.

What I'm talking about:

Example of dumbbell bars

The weights that fit on that bar are generally about $1/pound, so they can get expensive. But, going this route, you have a versatile set of weights, and then you can expand your bars and use the same weights, and do whatever you want. But, it's up to you, but I would say stay away from the adjustable dumbbells because you're paying way too much for convenience and you get very limited versatility.

ETA: You can also get the smaller-size bars that fit the weights with a smaller center-hole diameter, but I've personally never been much of a fan of those.
edit on 29-12-2016 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   
SlapMonkey

I don't have the bars..but I can purchase them separately .. looking at these:

Olympic rubber grip weights

seem like a better choice.. (if not..tell me now..probably gonna purchase them soon) Just feel like in the long run, these or similar will be more cost efficient, even though I do like the convenience of the other ones. Thanks for your help.

nOraKat

I don't know why, never have liked fixed weights. Probably just a personal preference thing. I did look at them though and they seem like they cost the same as all the other ones. Thanks for the suggestion, it really does help to look at all these things and to hear from real people instead of reading testimonies and reviews online...for some reason, I don't trust those ones too much..

Thanks to all who responded..
blend57

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: blend57

Yeah, coated weights are the way to go, unless they're living their life in a garage where floor damage isn't a concern. Of course, they are more expensive if you get the coated ones. Remember, that set that you are looking at, you'll have to buy two sets in order to have a max of 45lbs per dumbbell.

If you're willing to shell out a couple hundred on them, though, they should work perfectly.

What type of resistance training do you do? Do you ever use a straight bar, or easy-curl bar, or anything like that? If not, that's fine, but if you evolve into using those types of bars, like I said, these weights can be used on them, too.

I'll be doing a similar purchase like you probably this late spring. I'm moving into a house that has a large garage again, so I'll be hopefully getting these products (or something similar, if I can find them used--Craigslist is your friend, sometimes):

Half Rack
Bench Bar + Weight Set
EZ Curl Bar
And probably the dumbbell set that I shared with you.

I'm not brand loyal, these were all within easy searching while on that site, but that half rack is really what I'm looking for.

Regardless, enjoy your lifting!

top topics

join