It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I a racist bigoted xenophobic gamer?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Konduit

Tried it in beta or just after release. It wasn't bad.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

It's not you, Western and Eastern gamers have big differences in preference. I quit playing before WoD but i've tried every expansion /played over 700 days. WoW never really went eastern style though. I left because they changed the game and expected the community to conform.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I enjoy both Western and Eastern fantasy. So it depends on the mood for me.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 09:55 PM
link   

It's game mech and costs that I look at. Eastern or Western style can both be fine.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   
The thing about JRPG is the grindy factor. I don't like to grind and grind and grind to advance the story. There are parts of DA:I that start to feel like that because of all the open world regions that aren't really tied to the main story and they're so big and I feel like I should go through them before hitting the last bits of the main story even though I really don't need to.

I know there are parts I still haven't completed and likely never will. In fact, there is a region of DLC I won't touch because it has nothing at all to do with the story and I just won't tolerate running it just because.

I suspect I would possibly have the same problem with Witcher 3 and I'm worried I might have the same issue with ME: Andromeda.

I wish that games with open worlds would have corresponding story lines with the main quest and not just big empty worlds to wander around in and fight random things. That bores the thunder out of me after a while.

At least I can make the world mine in No Man's Sky.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Hmm
I like both east and west games. I just want a good story, or engaging gameplay.

I never got into Warcraft, but I adore skyrim to this day. I also sunk too many hours in plenty of asian games (dynasty warriors is always fun, I am dying to play Yakuza, etc

I am not wildly interested in any MMO to be honest..I dont mind the occasional scrimmage type game like planetside. Those are damn fun, but even there with it just being red v blue globally you start getting clans that start having ranks and with that you start taking on responsibility, etc..becomes like a second job.

I think OPs isn't racist/bigot..but you are just comfortable in familiarity..and as fine as that is, you are gonna miss out in some world class entertainment. Expand the mind as they say.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Antipathy17

It's not you, Western and Eastern gamers have big differences in preference. I quit playing before WoD but i've tried every expansion /played over 700 days. WoW never really went eastern style though. I left because they changed the game and expected the community to conform.

Kern is starting up some sort of old school WoW server last I heard for the players who enjoyed the older style of the game. I dont know, never really got into it. my entire experience on WoW was about 3 days..it looks like collectivist garbage (as in, the only point to play is to get a new mount, or item, or etc..no real engaging story)

I miss the old days of early Star Wars Galaxy. That was such a damn impressive and fun game far more focused on RP than most MMORPGs

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit

You should give Path of Exile a try, it's basically Diablo 2 on steroids and has a huge online community.

I've been playing that one for two seasons now. It's meh. I'm just waiting for DayZ to finally finish feature complete so I can finally hit TheBulk up for an M4 with pristine acog and 60 round magazine.
PoE is ok for a methadone game. Transition game until you find a good one. Good ones are hard to come by. Epic ones don't exist anymore.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

I miss the old days of early Star Wars Galaxy. That was such a damn impressive and fun game far more focused on RP than most MMORPGs

SWG (pre-NGE) was the best MMO ever made. I played it so much I literally get homesick when I watch videos of it even to this day. So far I haven't found anything that I liked even halfway as much.

It certainly could be somewhat grindy, but it wasn't that infinite grinding MMOs these days seem to have, that almost feels like having another job.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Kern is starting up some sort of old school WoW server last I heard for the players who enjoyed the older style of the game. I dont know, never really got into it. my entire experience on WoW was about 3 days..it looks like collectivist garbage (as in, the only point to play is to get a new mount, or item, or etc..no real engaging story)

Did you try wow when it was first released or later down the line? I found the story to be amazing in wow. Well, when you actually had to read quests.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 06:15 AM
link   

You might be. I am a fan of all types of fantasies. I mean, look at my name.

It just has to be done right. Don't give me no crappy fantasy game.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Konduit

Every damn RPG is timesink! Iv'e avoided playing the witcher 3 or fallout 4 for awhile now. I know once I load it up and start playing, the day will be wasted!

They are such great games, but it's so much easier to load up an online shooter and play a few matches. You can exit at any point, but with a good RPG you gotta finish some quest.

Then when that quest is completed, some AI needs you to complete some BS errand. Of course ill kill those bandits for you, i love completing mindless errands in order to empty my quest que.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   

There are definitely certain aesthetics I'm not fond of. Same game, different zone, or different games I would otherwise like but for the theme.

I think most posters here are thinking you're referring to the type of gameplay rather than the overlay. I don't know what it is, but even knowing it's essentially just a "skin" on the real meat of a game, there are certain aesthetics that I really like and others that will shut my interest down.

For me, if it's a a fantasy RPG (MMO or not), I don't like a "modern world" feel. Western mideval, Eastern, Steampunk, space/future tech are all good with me, but when I get to anything approaching "modern world", it loses points right away. For this reason, I'm concerned I may be disappointed in FFXV when I get my PS4.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 07:31 AM
link   
MMOs have been lacking in the last decade lets be real.

All the AZN MMOs seem to turn into P2W shops

I AM LOOKING AT YOU ArchAge WASTED POTEnTIAL!

/le rage

UO was the best, I could kill, dismember, steal, poison bread to kill innocents.

the life.

and we got Lord Richard Pants making SOTA, which looks like ass, which will probably be ass.

ITS not uo2.
edit on 29-12-2016 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Microtransaction models are evil. It's one thing to make them a completely optional thing and run off paid subs, but when you start bilking your customers into having to buy the micros in order to have a real game experience, I'm out.

There's a reason why I'm not in any of the current MMOs. Most run that way and the sub-set don't ring my bell these days.

There's not much in the sweet spot.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I've played a ton of MMO and RPG games, both online and offline, western and eastern origins. While I don't have a specific problem with the eastern type I can't really get completely involved with those anime type characters. I think is about cultural background, I feel much more in my own skin playing Dragon Age Inquisition or Skyrim than Perfect World or something similarly "cute". I hate cute and cartoonish and I hate endless grinding.
Besides that I'm a girl and I always play a girl character, so it kind of bothers me to always watch my character running around half butt naked with inflated boobs. Some have the most horrible sexist armors and body builds for female characters. ArcheAge was awesome (hence my avatar) but they've ruined it and it's a shame. I so loved to drive or sail around....

The reason I still play eastern MMO's is the crafting and economic part which I love; beside some have nice stories or good mechanics. But yeah, when it's becoming too eastern for my taste I also leave.
There is nothing like coming back to Minecraft and the simple pleasure of digging and digging and digging......

edit on 29-12-2016 by WhiteHat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: WhiteHat

You mean you don't like being Kawaii?

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

I do have a character on that side and God I love that lion mount but in the end both me and my bf chose to stay human...white humans lol
edit on 29-12-2016 by WhiteHat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   
If were talking game mechanics. Then there is a pretty big difference between Eastern and Western games. The design philosophies are geared towards different markets.

When I was younger I played a lot of JRPG's. From Super Nintendo to the Playstation 1. I have fond memories of staying up all night playing games like Super Mario RPG and Final Fantasy 7. Then I discovered Western CRPG's around the time of the Infinity Engine games.

So I like both styles. But nowadays I can't really get into any JRPG's. The whole having to wander a map to fight more enemies over and over just so I can level up enough to continue the story gets old.

Where something like the Witcher 3 is a little grindy. In the sense that it can get slightly tedious trying to clear secondary quests. At least those secondary quests have decent stories to go along with them. Your not just mindlessly killing enemies for no reason besides GETTING STRONGER!!!!! And if you want to skip those quests you can just follow the main story with no problem. You do not need to grind to finish the game. Most of your experience comes from the quests not killing monsters.

If were talking about aesthetics. I never understood how the look of the game world or the look of the character can affect someone so much. To the point where someone can not enjoy the game because the world is not familiar to their surroundings and culture, or because the main character does not look like them. It just seems weird to me. Why paint yourself into a corner.

Its just a story. Why does every story have to be familiar to be enjoyed. That just seems so boring. But that is just my opinion. Do I think choosing to enjoy only the media that you want to is Racist. Of course not. If you can't get into Eastern themed games, that in no way shape or form, makes you racist....or would it be gamist.

Only dumb people would think it is racist. Its just a preference on how you would want to spend your limited time. Nothing wrong with that. People need to stop being so sensitive.

Who even cares if the reason you don't want to play Eastern themed games is because you are racist. Who cares if your in your Klan robe mumbling about the Jews and Blacks while swinging your Viking axe into the head of an Illegal Goblin invading your lands and stealing your jobs.

As long as the thoughts in your head do not turn into real world violent action. Why does anyone care?
edit on 29-12-2016 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Did you try wow when it was first released or later down the line? I found the story to be amazing in wow. Well, when you actually had to read quests.

Meh, somewhere in the middle and only for literally hours.
I didn't find it very engaging.

I was also a bit upset that WoW stopped Blizzard from making my favorite titles (Warcraft..the actual realtime strat game)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join