It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help figuring out what the story was

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Hi all. Never even thought about coming here to ask until I saw a thread earlier today. Anyway, back in school we read a short story about a family that was hunkering down, going into a bomb shelter because their country was about to be or was already under attack. The story followed described the moments leading up to everything and the fact that this country was being attacked by another country first. The reason the story stuck with me so much was that in the end, it was revealed that it was the U.S. Attacking another country. That was a powerful thing back in the late 80's because at that time, you never really considered the possibility of the U.S. Being the 1 to start a war. Anyway, been trying to find out for years what the story is and who wrote it. There is a famous writer of short stories that I thought might have been the author but cannot remember his name. Any thoughts?

NOTICE: AboveTopSecret.com management is now enforcing new standards for the opening posts of threads.

Opening posts that contain minimal content, links with little or no explanation, YouTube videos with no commentary, images with little or no commentary, and similar nominal content may be removed without warning or explanation. If your topic is important to you, make sure you explain why, with links and supporting material so that our members may offer more relevant contributions, and ultimately, better threads. In fact, if you have less to say than this simple notice, then you probably do not have enough to start a new thread. Thank you for your assistance in helping to create great threads on ATS.

When you click this form-field, this message will disappear.
edit on 28-12-2016 by awhispersecho because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-12-2016 by awhispersecho because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: awhispersecho
Just guessing, Thomas Pynchon.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Perhaps this list will help?

en.wikipedia.org...

The most talked about or watched one in the 80's was called: The Day After, one geared more towards students in schools at the time was: Red Dawn

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: awhispersecho

this is of no help to the OP question - but while you are waiting to re-discover the book you seek - read :

level 7

PS - dont read any review . synopsis etc - just read the book " blind " - it has more impact if you have no idea whats happening

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Alas Babylon?

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Thanks for all the help and suggestions so far. I will check them all out and see what I can see.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 04:58 AM
link   
its Who Shall Dwell by HC Neal

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: isaanbkk

After all this time I checked my profile and noticed I had started this thread on here. Thank you soo much. I just read the summary and it sounds like that's the story I was looking for. Thanks again.

new topics

top topics

join