It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TWO 5.7 Quakes plus a 5.5 Near Hawthorne Nevada Just Hit

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 02:23 AM
link   
estimated 5+, possibly 6+

waiting on USGS reports

More in a minute....

5.8, but real, real, shallow- showing 0 km depth, will likely get revised. Nice, that ought to send some shockwaves right into Long Valley supervolcano. That's always nice...

earthquake.usgs.gov...
edit on Wed Dec 28th 2016 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

That 5.8 is still automatic magnitude, hasn't been reviewed yet. I think it's closer to a 6.0- we'll see.

5.7:
earthquake.usgs.gov...

depths now revised to 19km- still moderately shallow.

Depths revised again to 12 and 8 km- so those are pretty shallow.

Ok so, quakes are now reviewed, and they are saying it's two 5.7's. I pulled amplitude on those though from raw data, and one is clearly bigger than the other, but could be a distance from station issue. So that's what it is until further notice...

Woah, that 5.6 after two 5.7's- I was waiting on that one. Ok, lookout folks three quakes so close in magnitude could signal trouble ahead. That is SO not good...

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Felt it in Sacramento, CA. There were two. The first was very subtle, then a few minutes later a larger bump. Came here first to see what was up.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 02:33 AM
link   
You must never sleep. You are always here to let us know about the earthquakes. I appreciate that. Just wanted to say thanks and ask what you think the chance is for a sizeable earthquake anytime soon near me. I'm in western Kentucky.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 02:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Tripnman

Indeed, USGS is showing a 5.7 along with the 5.8, and now one 3.6 aftershock. Beware, with two quakes that close in magnitude, they could be foreshocks to 6+ or 7+. My monitoring right now is down in that area, looks like I'm going to have to improvise...

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 02:41 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

I just wish someone would check in with me before throwing down a 6.0 in the neighborhood. It's tough to concentrate on your game when all the Christmas tree ornaments start swaying back and forth. Then TA has to go and say "Beware." I'll sit a bit further from the tree.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 02:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Tripnman

LOL. Ahm, just saying... Probably won't but it could. As long as you don't have a rock marble statue of Trump or something instead of a star on top that could hit you in the head, you'll probably be ok.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I work nights at a hospital in Fresno, California. On the 4th floor we felt quite a bit of swaying back and forth. It seemed like it lasted a fair while. All the equipment and IV fluid bags were rocking quite a bit. I'm surprised we felt it that much, coming from Navada. My wife at home said she didn't notice it sitting at her computer.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 03:11 AM
link   
OK, so after a bit of improvising, now I am right in on the action, within 30-50 km- meaning I can see just about everything going on. And boy oh boy, we have aftershocks coming in like fireworks. See, usually I have that all as part of .... Ok, I'll spare you all the gory details... But hey, I'm in.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 03:15 AM
link   

I for one appreciate your dedication.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Do those aftershocks form lines, two of them?

P

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Some odd stuff going on over here in Europe as well over the past month with things slowly but surely bubbling to the surface and a nice 5.6 quake happening in Romania about 10 hours ago :

earthquaketrack.com...

This is a good tracker for anyone living in a French speaking zone : renass.unistra.fr...

Living in France, I am not at all looking forward to the Italian baby popping her load on our heads...

Warmest

Lags
edit on 28-12-2016 by Lagomorphe because: Crap spelling

edit on 28-12-2016 by Lagomorphe because: Link added

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 03:34 AM
link   
NOTE: reread OP at the top, been making edits.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Felt nothing up north in Reno.

I wonder if this will trigger another swarm.

About 7 or 8 years ago we had a swarm of about 600 quakes over the course of a couple of days. Those were caused after a larger earthquake in California.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 03:39 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Aftershocks are coming in as far out as 150 km or more from affected area. Wouldn't be surprised to see you get one near Lake Tahoe. But I am surprised you didn't feel those 5.7's in Reno, because you should have.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Nope, nothing.

But now I know why the chairs in the break room fell over.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Just a word of caution: where you are, you might take a second and secure anything loose that could fall, because you could be in for a jolt here shortly.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Wow! OK, so should your headline now say 3 quakes?
Following
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 03:52 AM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

Read the OP carefully, especially near bottom, sweetie.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 04:04 AM
link   

We're good.

Just informed the warehouse crew.
Precautions are being taken.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Good for you man, don't mean to alarm, but when you have three quakes that big in mag so close together it could signal trouble. So better safe than sorry. Hope nothing more happens, for sure. Everything at this point coming in is small, less than 3.5, and i can assure you that there are many more even smaller quakes occurring that are not being reported yet that I see- so the fault, or faults are agitated. And they are creeping north your way, so...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join