It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Under Obama, 10.7 Million More Use Food Stamps—A 32 Percent Jump

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Hillary would have continued Obama's policies.

Sure. And I think it would have been more preferrable to most 3rd party voters (other than libertarians) and a decent sized chunk of Trump voters who were there solely because they hated hillary or were bitter about bernie.

In fact, were the bernie thing never to have happened, trump would have had less votes. Not to mention that Hillary would have likely lost any unrigged primary. She really is disliked. You'd be surprised how many people dislike her just for her seeming embodiment of modern feminism. Even among women, who weren't fond of the way she handled the whole Lewinsky/Bill's a rapist deal. She seemed to rally behind him and help conceal criminal behavior. I know many women personally who dislike her still because of that.

Obama is disliked by many. But I still think he'd have beaten Trump. Especially if he was actually trying during his lame duck last 2 years.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Our population is growing by about a million a year, and Obama's been in office for 8 years, so obviously there are more people on food stamps than ever before.

Don't forget that millions of jobs were lost in the Bush recession.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

He had 8 years to create jobs and you guys still blame Bush. He crushed business and no amount of "blame Bush" is going to excuse that.

www.heritage.org...

The Obama Administration is responsible for an unparalleled expansion of the regulatory state, with the imposition of 229 major regulations since 2009 at a cost of $108 billion annually (using the regulatory agencies’ own numbers).

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: tridalop
So this is why US national debt doubled over 8 years. Too much welfare.

More people on welfare is a reflection of how many are unemployed, not, "too much welfare".

And it's likely unemployment is higher than ever...

source

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman
a reply to: xuenchen

Just 32% ???
I want a recount !!!

And then we would end up with the real number, namely 40%.

De-Ja-Vu

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
Our population is growing by about a million a year, and Obama's been in office for 8 years, so obviously there are more people on food stamps than ever before.

Don't forget that millions of jobs were lost in the Bush recession.

My last link spells it out. People used to have less time to be on unemployment...then went to 72 weeks so hell yeah, over a year! Who isn't going to bitch when it reverts back to 26 weeks?

I learned a valuable lesson from a boss a long time ago. Humans are like water....they always take the path of least resistance. His meaning was that humans are lazy and will do what is easiest versus what is best.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 08:59 PM
link   
How interesting. Sort of flies in the face of these numbers:

SNAP

and these:

Food Stamp Charts

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
It would have been better if Obama would have never been born

There must be some way i can claim this as being racist, right !? There must be !

I can't really think of something that logically fits but since when have we needed logic for this anyway so i will just call it ...

RACIST!!!

Did it work?

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: jtma508

Seems to confirm the Obama failures.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: everyone

Not really, But you get a star. My Black friends are very close to me, and stand up for me, and defend me always

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen
Let's deconstruct this claim...

US population vs SNAP:
2006 298.30M 26.55M: _8.9%
2007 301.23M 26.32M: _8.7%
2008 304.29M 28.22M: _9.3%
2009 306.77M 33.49M: 11.0%
2010 309.42M 40.30M: 13.0%
2011 311.77M 44.71M: 14.3%
2012 314.14M 46.61M: 14.8%
2013 316.54M 47.64M: 15.1%
2014 318.07M 46.67M: 14.7%
2015 321.57M 45.77M: 14.2%
2016 322.76M 44.22M: 13.7%

By the way - did you realize this is Fiscal Year?
Fiscal Year 2016 means Oct 1 2015 - Sep 30 2016.

The first ~3.5 months of 2009 there is actually when Bush was still in office.

What do you suppose happened about the time Obama took office whose effects have been felt since?
Oh right, that big #ing crash at the end of Bush's term.

It's been pretty consistent since.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
a reply to: CB328

He had 8 years to create jobs and you guys still blame Bush. He crushed business and no amount of "blame Bush" is going to excuse that.

www.heritage.org...

The Obama Administration is responsible for an unparalleled expansion of the regulatory state, with the imposition of 229 major regulations since 2009 at a cost of $108 billion annually (using the regulatory agencies’ own numbers).

Hi.

What do you think Congress' role in government is?

What do you think the President's role in government is?

What do you suppose happens when Congress refuses to do almost anything with the President?

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Where are all these people who are using Food Stamps? Are there just certain grocery stores that accept them? I must not shop at those.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Where are all these people who are using Food Stamps? Are there just certain grocery stores that accept them? I must not shop at those.

You don't even realize it. Its a debit card known as "EBT".

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Most of these welfare recipients are in "red" states who do absolutely nothing to improve their states' economies but would rather spend the time and effort to blame things on others. When are people going to learn.

originally posted by: xuenchen
As President Obama gets ready to vacate the White House, people are thinking about what he has done in 8 years.

One milestone is a 32% increase in food stamp recipients !!

Actually with the population increase it might be a little less.

Very significant.

More than 13% of the population.

What went wrong?

Why not a decrease?

As President Obama prepares to leave office, his legacy will include an increase in the number of Americans using food stamps.

The number of food stamps recipients went up by 10.7 million people, a 32 percent jump, since President Obama took office in 2009, according to data released by the Department of Agriculture (USDA).

In 2009, 33,490,000 people received food stamp benefits. As of October 2016, the last month reported for FY 2016, 44,219,123 people received food stamp benefits, an increase of about 10,729,000.

The U.S. population as of October 1, 2016 was 324,607,826, according to U.S. Census Bureau estimates. Therefore, the 44,219,123 people on food stamps represented 13.6 percent of the population.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

REALLY? I thought it was something like little coupons..(food "STAMPS") that people tore out of booklets. No wonder I've never seen anyone using Food Stamps. They swipe a card just like everyone else!

Can they buy razors, toothpaste, soap, etc..?? I should have gotten on that gravy train!

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 11:33 PM
link   

REALLY? I thought it was something like little coupons..(food "STAMPS") that people tore out of booklets. No wonder I've never seen anyone using Food Stamps. They swipe a card just like everyone else!

Can they buy razors, toothpaste, soap, etc..?? I should have gotten on that gravy train!

It's just for food. You can't buy soap or razors or anything that isn't food.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 11:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: muse7

I guess BEER is disqualified too then..darnit. Maybe that's why I see some people who swipe 2 cards. Nah.. a cash register can't ring-up a food $$ total, and a non-food $$ total, at the same time, can it?

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 11:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: muse7

I guess BEER is disqualified too then..darnit. Maybe that's why I see some people who swipe 2 cards. Nah.. a cash register can't ring-up a food $$ total, and a non-food $$ total, at the same time, can it?

The point of sale system disqualifies items that are not approved for the specific programs they are being paid with. For example, WIC in Texas provides for certain types of juice and cheese, and the system will not allow you to purchase said item with their "method of payment".

You just set a toggle switch for what methods of payment are acceptable for each new item when you enter it. Leave as few decisions as possible for the clerk to make.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 11:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeekingAlpha
Most of these welfare recipients are in "red" states who do absolutely nothing to improve their states' economies but would rather spend the time and effort to blame things on others. When are people going to learn.

originally posted by: xuenchen
As President Obama gets ready to vacate the White House, people are thinking about what he has done in 8 years.

One milestone is a 32% increase in food stamp recipients !!

Actually with the population increase it might be a little less.

Very significant.

More than 13% of the population.

What went wrong?

Why not a decrease?

As President Obama prepares to leave office, his legacy will include an increase in the number of Americans using food stamps.

The number of food stamps recipients went up by 10.7 million people, a 32 percent jump, since President Obama took office in 2009, according to data released by the Department of Agriculture (USDA).

In 2009, 33,490,000 people received food stamp benefits. As of October 2016, the last month reported for FY 2016, 44,219,123 people received food stamp benefits, an increase of about 10,729,000.

The U.S. population as of October 1, 2016 was 324,607,826, according to U.S. Census Bureau estimates. Therefore, the 44,219,123 people on food stamps represented 13.6 percent of the population.

Don't wanna be "that guy"....but the civil war did 2 things:

- freed slaves without having a plan for what to do
- ended in the Reconstruction Era that had effects that set up todays southern environment

Sure, freeing the slaves was awesome. But it killed half of the US economy in one fell swoop. The majority of this pain (actually, just about all of it) was felt by southern states. You don't recover from something like the civil war in just 2 or 3 generations. Especially when the former slaves were set up to struggle by both sides, either through negligent inaction, or malicious action

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join