It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bold and Controversial Plan to Drill Into a Supervolcano

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   
This might just be the worst idea in the history of bad ideas.

For those thinking that pressure can be released in a controlled manner by doing something like this, its nothing like releasing a few kPa's from an over inflated tire; the balloon analogy is much more apt. There is no valve stem to control the release and the amount of pressure from below is enormous.

As for "cooling off," the section they're drilling; the amount of thermal energy flowing up from below is way beyond what can be siphoned off. This would be analogous to trying to lessen the flow of the Colorado river by dipping out a cup of water at a time.

This volcano is the kind of bear at which they really don't want to be poking; if it wakes up in a bad mood, it could very well maul the entire planet.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

If they can release the pressure and stop it from exploding that would be a good idea

and drain it like a cyst. make land where there is none.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
This is a classic example of "a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing."

This is just a special kind of stupid.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Hermit777

Oh man, some of the spots I have burst, in my life - one particular one on my arse - leave your analogy floundering.

Pressure, small hole... kablouie

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I hope they have on heck of a blowout protector. I doubt rubber seals will do with molten rock.

I would think it could just be a potential eruption. The pressures must be enormous.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Testing it on some small volcano would be wise. Which leads me to the conclusion that if they are not stupid or insane (which is unlikely),
they do it right there because they think it's going to blow up.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   
how do drillers call it...an blowout ???????
gee..... with dose pressur beneath....
reminds me on an B- movie.....volcano in new york....
edit on 27-12-2016 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Someone needs to get the Jackass crew back together for one last stunt.

"Hi, I'm Johnny Knoxville and this is 'Drilling into a Super volcano'."

But make sure they wear hardhats and safety goggles. Safety always comes first!

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Many Volcano mounds already kinda look a bit like the mounds created when drilling into a block of wood, no?

Perhaps millenia ago: the Earth was stable with few natural volcanoes, until some ancient alien race came here with massive drilling equipment, and bore down into the Earth seeking who-knows-what.

Maybe there's a hidden secondary agenda to the drilling: to find rare minerals?

Thanks for making this thread.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 12:07 AM
link   

This is akin in some ways to the argument for and against sending out to the universe probes which give away our position in space. It is a huge risk, to all of humanity, based upon utterly ridiculous assumptions. In this case, one set of people are again making a decision that could affect all of us in the pursuit of further knowledge that is just not worth the risk. A long term relocation project to move people away from that caldera would be much more beneficial, and they could leave the darn thing alone for the most part after that. 

I think that is the part that bothers me the most, personally. If they do nothing, millions of people are likely going to die when this thing blows. Which, it's going to. But instead of getting as many of those people the hell out of there as they can, they want to go poking this thing with a stick and it's a toss-up whether anyone survives at all, and maybe even add a whole lot more bodies to the count. I'm sure that I am oversimplifying, but that is the crux of what concerns me about this. I know, nothing ventured, nothing gained, but...can't we save the pioneering for times when millions of lives aren't in the mix? That just seems really jacked up to me, but hey...for all I know, these folks are perfectly OK with being guinea pigs. I'm just a girl in the world. 😜

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 12:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest
Someone needs to get the Jackass crew back together for one last stunt.

"Hi, I'm Johnny Knoxville and this is 'Drilling into a Super volcano'."

But make sure they wear hardhats and safety goggles. Safety always comes first!

Ok, I have to admit...that was funny.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 12:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

The final words of the drill team were reported to have been, "Here, hold my beer".

Yeah blame the beer its always the bad guy

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 12:15 AM
link   
a reply to: InFriNiTee

I don't know...I just think they could possibly get in there and stir something up that they didn't anticipate and not only will the four million souls in and around that caldera perish, but possibly millions more as well. I just hope it is really, really worth it.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Thx for the recent posts TA. These threads deserve every attention, so it's good someone brought them up.

It brought back good memories. In the early '90s I visited the region, took a guided 'volcanic' tour, walked in the crater of the Solfatara di Pozzuoli, one of the Flegrei volcanoes and visited other volcanic hotspots in the region. It was truly an amazing visit that i will never forget. If anyone has the chance to visit it, don't hesitate it is worth it (before it blows).

One day it will blow, just a matter of time guys. I always considered the region to be to most dangerous of Europe and an eruption could easily trigger a chainreaction and set off nearby volcanoes in Sicily, Greece or even all the way to Garrotxa-region in Spain or the Canary Islands. Who knows what is really happening underneath our feet.
(Btw the Garrotxa volcanic zone would be an interesting topic for a thread for those interested in volcanism)
edit on 28-12-2016 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Where did you see that the drilling has been resumed please?
According to your BBC link they need to raise millions before that can happen as the equipment has been relocated.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

Yes, but the project has been approved again as soon as they can get the funding. They should hit up some of these ATS people for some money who want to risk all our lives, don't ya think? Of course, they won't get much. Maybe a dollar or two.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: intergalactic fire

I'm planning to go there at early spring for few days. Massif Central in France at start of summer ... week or ten days trip.

Napoli area is volcanic theme park.
edit on 28-12-2016 by JanAmosComenius because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Waiting for the future doc video.

The world greatest engineering disaster, "Drilling the Super Volcano".

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

comparing the dome of a caldera to a baloon is the most assanine analogy i have heard

and PS - where would you site the observatory ?? - given the clue is in the name - it has to observe the caldera

Ok this is just for me to see if I ever really understand anything science related I force myself to look through because I am so apathetic to the field of ::yawn:: science, that only rare interesting topics such as this can get me to read through the basics. However, knowing so little about science, I honestly...no smart alec...wanted to take advantage of a real-life, free analogy evaluation so ill know if I really "kinda sorta get what's going on," or if I would be under-qualified to teach a preschool science class how to bring a bag of sea monkeys to life.

So...asinine as an ass' behind, just what I thought too when I read the balloon part...because the dome of a caldera is rarely made from latex or tied around someone's index finger in this day and age of latex allergies and available plastic. I guess I must understand science a lot better than I give myself credit for.

In case im NOT a natural science prodigy deep down though, better ask you to aassess the imagery it puts in my mind...I believe it is one of two things I am thinking of or maybe even both equally as correct...Tell me, am I right to say its similar to:

A. those magic chalices you can make or buy which have holes in the bottom yet you can pour water into them and it stays in the cup unless you pour water OVER the magic "fill line" drawn in the cup which when even a few drops more are added to push the water higher it suddenly pours it all out the bottom or...

B. how you can turn a whole bucket of water upside down in the bathtub and the bucket stays full but if you were to drill a hole in the side (or if the bucket HAS a carb/hole you are covering then you remove your finger), the water would empty right out and you couldn't use it to old liquid IN anymore since all liquid would naturally pour out now?

Or am I way off and taking about volcanoes and liquid under pressure when the darn article is about the mechanics of ants mating in 0-G space? But honestly, you do seem to get all this. Just wondering if I do too...

edit on 12/28/2016 by AlexandrosTheGreat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical
For those thinking that pressure can be released in a controlled manner by doing something like this, its nothing like releasing a few kPa's from an over inflated tire; the balloon analogy is much more apt. There is no valve stem to control the release and the amount of pressure from below is enormous.

Exactly. That's why it's like a balloon being pricked with a pin. The rapid depressurization of the chamber creates a snowball effect, and the rest of the containing walls cannot hold the outgassing pressure and explode. Many volcanologists explain it with a bottle of coke when you shake it up with the cap on. And then try to unscrew the cap. You get coke all over you. In the case of a supervolcano? You die, and take me with you in the process.

Bad bad bad.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join