It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OK guys....give me your opinions on mattresses

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   
OK guys...so it's about time to go mattress shopping.

Right now we are trying to decide between a sleep number and a tempur-pedic.

Does anyone have either of these?
Or other mattresses that they just love? Go ahead and add your favorite...give us more to pick from, please....

I like soft my husband likes the hard as a rock which is why we are looking at the sleep number.
I just want something that will last...we bought a Paula Deen pillowtop and have only had it maybe 3 years and it is breaking down.
Thanks for any help you guys can give! The more information the better!!

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

Get a old fashioned spring mattress..the memory foam ones are rubbish..worse 300 quid I ever spent and it gave me a bad back despite turning it every month...plus they are horrid in warm weather.
Just my 2p anyhow.
edit on 26-12-2016 by testingtesting because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   

mattress = for sleeping on - thats pretty much it i dont think mu opinion is required

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Have a tempurpedic and love it. The "memory foam" mattresses are NOT "junk." That's absurd. Get the "harder" one if you have a choice. "Mushy" mattresses aren't really that good for you. I've had several other supposedly "good" mattresses and within a couple years they sag in the middle. You can turn them over, but the same thing happens again. I've been "on" the tempurpedic for several years now an NO SAGGING! It's great on that issue alone. The old mattress went to the guest bedroom. Let 'em suffer and maybe they won't stay so long!

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 08:20 PM
link   
This is a topic i know quite a bit about, First of all, disregard what the poster above said, Do not buy an ordinary sprung mattress, they are the cheapest and least supportive of all mattresses, The springs are formed from one continuous length of wire and the springs are interconnected, Typically these have large but very few springs (about 100) and are awful. What you want is a "pocket sprung" mattress, This has individual springs that are encased within a cloth pocket, they are not connected and extremely supportive and have an large amount of small springs (typically 1000 - 2000) The more springs the better....
As for memory foam, I would recommend "a pocket sprung memory foam mattress" that is a good pocket sprung mattress with a memory foam top layer
But you have to be careful when choosing, A vast amount of mattresses sold as memory foam are just plain old foam like you get inside a settee, which is fine for setting your bum on but terrible for sleeping on, many people are duped by this scam. memory foam molds to your body shape and is comfortable as heck to sleep on.
Also get a mattress that has the top layer made from bamboo fiber, it has a natural cooling effect, As is soft and comfortable, not hard and scratchy like you would think bamboo fiber would be.
Another tip is to stay away from the big bed & mattress store, it is the scam of the century, they get the manufacturer to stitch a unique label on the mattress and mark the price up by about 3x. That £800 mattress you seen is worth around £300.

Here is one i recommend, im not sure if you're in the UK but if not you will find something similar in your country Amaz on

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I bought the something or other beauty rest- all memory foam.
A-plus bed...
I got the ultra plush, if you're heavy set you might like it. This one has a gel layer on top that sucks heat away from you, but it eventually saturates. Good for the cold winters up here where it's much colder by 4am than it is when you go to bed.

But, beware.

Do.
Not.
Buy.
From.
Wayfair.

edit on 26-12-2016 by lordcomac because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-12-2016 by lordcomac because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   
We have a tempupedic ...my husband loves it....I think it ok....they're hot . They hold a lot of body heat .....and they're very heavy to move .....I personally have never tried the sleep number bed ,but have thought about that brand and testing it next time we get a bed .... BUT...our guest bed is a queen size --" Beauty rest .....Roosevelt supreme .....by Simmons Compony " ..on the tag it says " Queen triton semi flex ", too. Everyone loves that bed ....it is so comfortable. And I Have had it since 2000 and it still holding strong. ...if I have my way, our next bed will be that bed style ,but Ina king size .....good luck .

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I've used a concrete sidewalk for over an entire year, completely exposed to the elements...

And you care what 'type' of mattress you get?
Hahahahah

It doesn't matter as long as you have one.
Everyone takes their beds for granted, I did for years.
For my whole life!

You know how nice a couch sounds?
Carpet?

Did you know concrete is way better than granite or marble slabs? It's way softer.
The hips or spine doesn't hurt so bad. I actually know this firsthand.

I have only slept on my, yes MY concrete bed like twice in the last 40 or 50 days though.
I've been really blessed and things have been better, but who knows how long it'll last.

Just close your eyes and pick a mattress at random.
Try my concrete and then you'll know why it doesn't matter which one you get.

I don't even understand what kind of reality yall must be in to actually worry about things like this.
It must be an incredible luxury. I was as good as dead, I'm just happy to be alive today...

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I have a Simmons Dreamscapes Evolution (pillow top pocket coil). I love it (maybe too much). It's about 5 years old and just as good as the day i bought it. It was pricey but worth every penny. It's firm but not overly. Not sure if that would work for you two.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   

The tempur-pedic is life changing.

You'll hate it the first two weeks. Then something happens and you can never go back.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I have a bed I ordered from an online mattress store. Affordable, came in a box had to roll it out and it kind of fluffed up lol. Initially I spent over 2 thousand for a big nice name brand memory foam but it slept so hot I couldn't stand it. This one is a king I paid 900. Brooklyn Bedding is the company, I also ordered the frame from them and it has worked out well. Loom and Leaf is another company I looked at, theirs are hand delivered and not in a box I believe. Very affordable. 10 yr warranty on our bed and 120 night trial period if you dont like it you get a refund.

ETA: their customer service is spectacular
edit on 26-12-2016 by ValentineWiggin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I use temper pedic pillows, but an old fashion Spring air mattress. Its a tall mattress. My girlfriends have always commented that my bed was way more comfortable then theirs. My old mattress used to hurt my back if I slept in, this one doesn't.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Ok I'm sorry for the sarcasm heavy rant about concrete mattresses....

It does things to you...

Things happen and your mind changes about a lot of things.

Ever slept out in the snow in 12 degrees with only a blanket? I did. Those hand warmer packets saved my feet.

My rant was nothing. I'm still really nice considering all things.

I don't ask anyone for anything. I'm glad yall have nice beds. I'm gonna have something better soon.

I'm gonna sleep on stacks of Benjamin$...
That's a real bed.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Dunno as often doze off in hammock out in garden or else fall asleep in osim massage chair .

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I've got a buddy who bought a sleep number bed. He's got to be about the pickiest guy I know, and will whine about anything and everything.

He RAVES about this thing. I've never heard him rave about anything in his life like he raves about this thing!

It was outrageously expensive (several thousand), but I have to say; his attitude has improved dramatically since he got this thing. Heck, now I can even hang out around him for more than an hour without wanting to heart-punch him in the solar plexus! ...even if he's had a beer or two (and that's impressive)!!!

I'm so impressed, I'm thinking about getting one now. I don't care how much it costs, a good nights sleep is invaluable!!!

He's a living example! He's even got more than one friend now!!

I'm buyin' one!!!

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I got a 18 inch deep memory foam one from SAMs for super cheap...500$ then a frien of mine move and I moved into her room, but she couldn't take her bed... A 12 inch memory foam. Top the 36 inches with 1000 thread count Egyptian cotton... Single ply. My bed is my favorite part of my room. I mean. We spend almost a third of our lives sleeping so may as well do it up.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 12:35 AM
link   

I'd say a good memory foam mattress, I'm trying to get one myself.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Memory Foam all the way.

Don't get a cheap knock off though. Gotta get the real thing. Flip it and make sure you have some kind of support under it for a good long life.

They're so nice. Like sleeping on a firm marshmellow that fits you just right. No bouncing from people next to you or shaking. Just fits you like sleeping on a cloud of foam.....

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Thanks everyone for all of the great info!!!! ^^^^^^^This is why I love ATS sooooo very much. I can find out anything from Aliens, Ghost, politics (if I’m brave), to mattresses! Not sure if we will get to go “shopping around” this weekend or next but I will definitely report back and let people know what I decided and how it works out!

a reply to: muzzleflash
Rants are healthy, but sometimes they fall on deaf ears if not placed in the right place. I’m sorry that you are having to go through what you are. I can’t imagine not having a place to stay and sleep, I have been very lucky in that accord. I hope that 2017 brings you great things, and I think we would all like a bed of Benjamin$.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Memory foam works good for some stuff, but not everything. Take sex for example; on memory foam you wind up in about a 6 foot deep hole for a bed...after goin' at it for a couple "hours" or so. I mean heck, your partner can wind up looking like a golf tee with only body parts sticking out of the mattress, the rest has been completely assimilated by the mattress (kinda like the Borg). Plus there's no 'bounce', you know, kinda like jumping on the bed when you were a kid...except WAY different! Ahem. Yeah. Anyway...

And then there's the whole heat thing; go to sleep in August and wake up in a tub of water with no overflow. Anybody got a snorkel?

My Lab jumped on one once. You know, the weight distribution on a dog is way different than a human's. Came back a few minutes later and she was lookin' at me like "Dad!! My legs!! They're gone, I got no legs!! We thought about changing her name to Flipper, but then she just got off the bed (well, kinda' rolled / slithered off the bed anyway).

top topics

<<   2 >>

join