It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

looks like we have to go back to an apartment.....any apartment dwellers here?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   
im kind of bummed but kind of excited to start fresh...
lost my job a little more than a month ago....man it was a hard month. im back to work not but for a bit less money.
so my wife and i have decided it is best for us to go back to an apartment. we rent a 3 bedroom house. decent sized yard....
going to miss the yard a bit but really we dont hang out in the yard much. if we do things outside we take out daughter to the park, go to my moms house so she can play with her cousins, or go somewhere we can ride bikes together.
the upside to no yard is i will not need to cut the grass and deal with the bushes. will not have to shovel the driveway....that will be nice.

so we will be going from 3 bedrooms to 2 but again, no big loss. our 3rd room is really just full of 'junk' that we can downsize a bit. a futon we never use. a desk we never use. couple bookshelves that stay with us. my tools.

part of me is excited to start over. new place. maybe a few new things for decorations.
part of me is bumming cause i feel like we are going backwards.

i keep telling myself that loads of people live in apartments and they are just fine...i know we will be too.

we could afford to stay in our house but we would be tighter with money. not much left for extra or if a situation comes up.
moving into the apartment we will be saving a little over 200 per month. no water bill. no garbage bill. no gas bill. cheaper rent.

that may not sound like an insane amount but 200 extra goes a long way.

in the end it really does not matter. as long as my wife, my daughter, and myself are together thats all that matters.

so any apartment dwellers here? your thoughts?

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
sorry to hear that. I live in a townhouse, 2 bedrooms (one used as an office), 1 bath, decent sized kitchen, garage and a minimal space behind it with a grass lot. It is more than enough for me. Not really good for having people over, but I rarely have parties, so it works out.

here's hoping you get back to where you want to be soon rather than later. good luck sir!

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: annoyedpharmacist
sorry to hear that. I live in a townhouse, 2 bedrooms (one used as an office), 1 bath, decent sized kitchen, garage and a minimal space behind it with a grass lot. It is more than enough for me. Not really good for having people over, but I rarely have parties, so it works out.

here's hoping you get back to where you want to be soon rather than later. good luck sir!

thanks man.
im not worried about extra space to host people. we have been in this house almost 4 years and we have only had company over a handful of times. its just the 3 of us.
i know once we get there and settled we will be fine. just hard feeling like we are going backwards.

link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Don't live under anyone. Try to find a corner or end unit away from stairs at the end of walks.

Not on or next to a busy hi way.

Before you move in, check behind and under the fridge for mice or rat droppings and dead roaches. Barking dogs, loud kids allowed?

Best of worlds.

edit on 26-12-2016 by intrptr because: additional

link   
I'm going from owning a house, looking to rent one. Can't really put much in other than to say renting a house appears to cost more than owning one.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
I'm going from owning a house, looking to rent one. Can't really put much in other than to say renting a house appears to cost more than owning one.

Renting is really buying the property for the owner... have you considered reverse mortgage?

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

the complex we have our eye on is only 2 stories. very small complex. we of course want to be on the top floor but when we go to do this if the only opening is on the bottom we have to take it.

lordcomac, yes it seems to cost more renting. when you dont have the credit to get financed though, thats what happens

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Small complexes are best.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   
With interest rates at an all time low...why not rent to own another house. Plenty of owners out there with creative financing available. Being employed should be enough to get a loan.

Good luck with what ever you decide!!

My business partners and I do maintain an apt. in town for business purposes....or when it's best not to drive back to "the village"
edit on 26-12-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   
You are probably doing yourself a favor in the long run. You'll be saving around $2400+ a year. Easily could invest that money over the long term. Save and buy your own house.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
If the building is modern, a bottom floor unit might be OK, if it was built prior to sound-proofing requirements, and you want to get sleep... avoid first floor unit at all costs. Who knows what kind of neighbors you might have? My current upstairs neighbors wear heavy boots (and stomp on the hardwood floors sounding like horses clomping around), slam anything they can get their grubby paws on to the point where it shakes and rattles the structure, and drag furniture across the floors making a sound like a screechy fog-horn. And, to make it even more enjoyable, they tend to do this stuff between 2am and 4am. Do you really want to risk having to deal with this kind of nightmare? I forgot to mention bed-springs and headboards banging against the wall, that makes the nightmare even better!

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   
My Husband and I never owned our own home or could afford to rent a house. We love our little apartment. It is cozy, has an antique tub and a nice size bathroom, two bedrooms, but one is used to store my Husbands musical equipment and junk and also has our washer in there. We have a living room and kitchen of course. Our rooms are decent sized for us and it is decorated nicely. Home is where the heart is. I hope your neighbors are nice and the area is safe.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Many apartments for us. We moved 7 times in 8 years. Somewhere in the timeline We went from owning a condo to owning a house, sold house to avoid bankruptcy and back to an apartment. Lost $50 grand on the sell. Went from a 4 bedroom house in the nice part of town to a 2 bedroom apartment in the worst part of town.

Lesson learned but apartment life is not bad if you can keep the cluter down. We had to rent a storage unit for some of our stuff because it wouldn't all fit. Learned to live with less was tough but well worth it as we eventually made our way back up to where we can rent a 3 bedroom house.

Not having to worry about landscape is nice. The rental we have now includes landscape service. A lot less trips to Home Depot.

Attitude is everything when you make a move like you have. And seems like you got the right one. Embrace the change don't pretend it will be the same. Everything will be different so go with it. Abandon all expectation you had from your last place. It will all work out.

Small places help challenge your creativity and efficiency. I recommend you find a good neighborhood where you can feel safe to walk and get away from the tight quarters. Location location location.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Neighbors are the key. Good neighbors and it's bliss; bad neighbors and it's hell. Kind of luck of the draw in that respect. Good luck.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I use to live in an apt, now I live in the sewer, it beats the apartment hassle any day!

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   
We currently live in a home but are considering downsizing due to a tight budget. The way I look at it, any bit of sacrifice in order to move forward is well worth it, even if it means moving backwards. Think of it as strategic planning. Save your money for the future.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I've been renting apartments as I've never really had a job that lasted that long in one place. Top floor apartment is the best - you won't have people thumping around like elephants above you. Corner apartments with the hallway in the core of the building are the best. My last apartment was a combination of both. I never heard a sound from any of my neighbors so I could get a perfect sleep. An apartment I rented in Norway had all the front doors of every apartment in an atrium. It was like a shooting range in the morning, but the living room was monastically quiet. Evenings would seem to last forever, especially in Winter.

Look out for nearby bars/nightclubs, railway lines, where the dustbins are located. My apartment in Edinburgh was above the drive-way into the interior car-park. Every week at 7am, it would be like a goods train rumbling through the road. Make sure the kitchen is large enough for a dustbin. My current apartment kitchen has a floor space of 1.5 x 1.5 meters. The kitchen door blocks access to the fridge, but there is a serving hatch between the kitchen and living room. Are the windows double glazed? That will save on heating bills. Look for a modern apartment. I thought 1980's apartments were modern but the ones with electric storage heaters are not as well insulated as a modern apartment with gas central heating.

Best to do viewing using Google Streetview. Look for the distances to the nearest shops, supermarkets, bus and taxi ranks.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   
If you haven't done it yet make sure you guys check out the complex at several different times. Like going on a weekday morning and night then like a Saturday morning and night; to get a well rounded surveil of the place.

Hey at least it's not this Tokyo apartment (or others like it) which rents for around $500 a month.

Good luck on your move.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Ever thought about getting a cheap trailer/mobile home. Some folks will give you one if you haul it away.

Trailer spaces are cheap.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Ever thought about getting a cheap trailer/mobile home. Some folks will give you one if you haul it away.

Trailer spaces are cheap.

I so agree with this. You could rent one out or even buy one for a decent price. Lot rent is cheaper than regular rent.

<<   2 >>

join