It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Handgun Safety

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: GreyScale
a reply to: Martin75

All I'm seeing here is a lucky man and a good woman. Carry on!!!

BTW, Opsec... you're showing off your alcohol tradestuff.

Good eye!

Martin... You got a single sister?

Looks at the ground sheepishly and pretends to nudge a pebble with his muck boots...

~meathead

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Martin75
a reply to: GreyScale
The guy I buy from also owns a liquor store! LOL
I told him he has ATF covered!

Guns, alcohol and bullets... the SHTF trifecta for a friend!!!

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Mike Stivic
Sorry these are my baby brothers....

My brother on the right is single.....lol! Just Kidding!

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Because of your name I just have to ask... you hang out in the Fallout game series at all? Sorry for any thread drift in advance!!!!!

edit on 20Mon, 26 Dec 2016 20:31:53 -0600America/Chicago16th2016-12-26T20:31:53-06:00pmMondayAmerica/Chicago by GreyScale because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   
No, sorry...not much of a gamer.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Im all set. Thanks though.

Do any of them have a disgruntled ex wife who has an extra ticket for a cruise..or at least decent alimony checks. No children.

Ok.. I'll bend. They can have kids as long as they are adult or one of your brothers has full custody.. Every other weekend is fine,I can put up with that..

Am I over thinking it? =p

On topic

When your brothers children visit us all firearms will be secured..

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I wish the brother on the left had an ex-wife
does that count?

OK time for bed! LOL 5am alarm rings loudly

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Martin75
I wish the brother on the left had an ex-wife
does that count?

OK time for bed! LOL 5am alarm rings loudly

Go tell him I just got more jealous!
Sleep well!

~meathead

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   

In the Fallout game series there is a perk called the Mysterious Stranger that will, at random, show up in a fedora and a duster and finish off an opponent in a hail of .44 fire.

And I responded to the wrong person so I'm going to bed!!!

edit on 21Mon, 26 Dec 2016 21:23:15 -0600America/Chicago16th2016-12-26T21:23:15-06:00pmMondayAmerica/Chicago by GreyScale because: cause I had to...

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Not any more.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 06:21 AM
link   
The OP was very good and I would add gun safety while shooting or at a range. The most nervous I get is at gun ranges. I go to a few ranges and they all have safety people and some are better then others. That being said I have seen some scary things new gun owners do at ranges.

1. Gun mis fires or jams and instead of keeping the gun pointed down range they turn it to inspect and I have seen this happen where the gun was literally pointed down the shooting stalls. (Went over to person and explained their error and got a little attitude but they got the point)

2. Not properly clearing firearm when finished. So many newbies think cause a mag isnt in the gun that it's not loaded. Always always always remove mag, cycle weapon, and inspect all while gun is pointed down range.

3. Target placed too high. One of the two ranges I go to have metal above the range and I have seen rifle owners sit and shoot with the target very high. Bullets ricochet folks.

4. Not inspecting the barrel prior to commencing.

Out door ranges have another set of safety issues but won;t get into that.

If your a CCL the other thing that one should do is practice while the weapon is cleared drawing the weapon.

1. Never draw unless you fear for your life.
2. When you have made the decision to draw grasp gun with dominate hand
3. Pull gun out of holster being careful to not grasp the trigger
4. In unison while still near the hip lift gun towards target and moments later grasp weapon with other hand.
5. While raising gun keep close to you until weapon is shoulder high
6. Extend to a shooting position
(all the above should be done with your finger off the trigger unless you dont have time and have to fire sooner.)

Other tips for ccl

Practice firing from hip as you never know how much time you will have.
I practice shooting two shots from hip then raise and extend.

Practice movement while drawing (step back, step sideways)

Practice keeping gun/holster as far away from threat as possible. (ei stand at angle so gun is furthest away from threat)

Im sure there is a lot more that could be said but hope this helps.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: sirlancelot
Excellent tips! Thank you so much for adding them.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: sirlancelot

Adding on to your post...

If you don't have the time or money to shoot at least 50 rounds from each gun you carry per month, then you don't need to carry a pistol in public.

I'm talking about 50 quality practice shots too. Drawing from the holster, shooting and moving, shoot/no shoot type stuff, not just stationary shots at a paper target.

Shooting is a perishable skill.

Carrying a weapon for self-defense is serious business. You are responsible for every bullet that leaves that gun, and every single bullet has a lawyer attached to it. It doesn't matter that you didn't mean to shoot the grandma behind the guy who was robbing you, you are now responsible for the fallout from shooting grandma.

If you are not willing to train, know the laws, and be situationally aware at all times, then you don't need to carry a gun.

Gun safety can really be summed up in 4 simple rules:

1) All guns are always loaded
2) Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire
3) Never point a gun at anything you are not willing to kill/destroy
4) Always be sure of your target and what's behind it
edit on 12-27-2016 by cynicalheathen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: cynicalheathen

Gun safety can really be summed up in 4 simple rules:

1) All guns are always loaded
2) Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire
3) Never point a gun at anything you are not willing to kill/destroy
4) Always be sure of your target and what's behind it

These four tip can save lives! Thank you for adding these and your other tips to this thread!

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   

You, Sir sound like a LEO...

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Nope...Never been a gamer at all. My brother was....It drove me nuts....So I was never into playing anything....'Cept maybe real chess...Sorry.

FYI my member name is because my real one can be googled with whole pages of "me" results....Thanks for asking!

MS

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Right, so when the home invaders arrive, you can ask them to wait so you can retrieve your pistol.

Shotgun by the door and pistols on my lady and my nightstands. When you need firepower, seconds count.

I was thinking the same thing, although with kids in my house (13 and 3), I just keep my pistol on my hip and every other firearm that I own in my locked safe. By the door is my 30" hardwood stick that I dried out and shaped (that has a big, heavy knot on the end of it), and on the wall by the back door are my Kali sticks. Also clipped on my pocket is my karambit or a different EDC knife.

IMO, the best place to safely keep a firearm in the home is in a holster on your person at all times.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

It is the moron who leaves a weapon cooked with a round in the chamber that I can't stand. Gives all of us a bad name. I keep my semi-automatic near by with the mag out and no round in the chamber. If I don't have the few seconds to load it, it isn't really going to matter.

Actually, yes, those few seconds can matter immensely. You can safely have a firearm within arms reach at all times with a magazine loaded and inserted into the firearm AND have a round chambered at the ready.

Who is this "us" that you speak of?

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Sad thing, though, is the reality that most places don't allow drawing from a holster when you are shooting, and many of us don't have access to the outdoors where we can do that without someone telling us not to.

I did an Israeli Point-&-Shoot Method course (Israeli Combat Shooting), and it was really educational and enjoyable; we always drew from the holster, without a round chambered, and were able to draw, charge the weapon, and fire three rounds without using the sites and hit the target every time. From draw to bullet hitting the target the first time took less than one second. It even covered double- and single-handed magazine replacement.

This was done multiple times from different scenarios--kneeling, from kneeling-to-lying on one's back, on one's stomach, from behind cover, one handed, moving through obstacles, etc. It was pretty damn awesome and really reinforced that I have the abilities that I thought that I would in such situations.

Like you say, target practice is fun, but unless you practice for real-world scenarios, the likelihood of hitting a target in a high-stress situation are pretty low for most people who are panicked.

The basic idea of what I learned with the technique, if you're interested:

Please note that we did NOT do that drill at the end, where the guy assembles the weapon after doing push-ups and all of that jazz. That seems a tad pointless to me, but I'm sure that some place, somewhere, it serves a purpose. That video is not affiliated with the instructors that taught me.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
IDF style....I love that
Israel military.....great video

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join