It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Are Looking for Time Travelers on the Internet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Why am I not shocked?
Data mining has been used for just about everything by now. Still I thought they most definitely have come up empty handed by reading the predictions forum here, heheheheheh. But it's unnerving none the less.

Specifically, they looked for two specific terms: Comet ISON and Pope Francis. The thinking was, since Comet ISON was only discovered and introduced to popular nomenclature in 2012, and likewise Pope Francis, the first of that name, elected just last year, any mentions of the names from before those dates must have come from someone who had seen the future.

It's an interesting idea and all, but the method has some serious shortcomings—which is why the study authors note that just because their search came up short, it doesn't disprove time travel. For one, what if humans who had traveled the future had no interest in tweeting or sending tell-tale emails after they got there? Or even if they did, maybe they didn't give a damn about Comet ISON and Pope Francis? Or, maybe there is no internet in the future?

The idea of time travel, one of humanity's favorite sci-fi fixations, is documented as far back as the 9th century BC, in the text of the Indian Mahabharata poem. It seems to be a built-in human trait—not even our ancient ancestors could escape the temptation to wonder if it's possible to skip backwards and forwards through time. But while physicists continue to research the theoretical science behind time travel, not many people have just come out and asked: Hey, is there anyone out there from the future?

Researchers from Michigan Technological University's physics department recently decided to give it a shot, using the internet as their megaphone. They searched the web for prescient messages that could be evidence of future-dwellers. Unfortunately (surprise!) they didn't find any—but they plan to keep looking, according to the study recently published on Arxiv.

The team's approach was to comb through search engines, social media, and popular websites looking for references to information that only someone who had jumped forward in time (they opted against looking for people who had traveled to the past) could know.

motherboard.vice.com... =fijifrost&tse_id=INF_ec825270c97111e68a469d17a2be9ed9

At least they didn't use nirubu as keyword criteria? Altho that would have been seriously comical. I'm including a link to the actual study in case anyone is interested.
arxiv.org...
edit on 25-12-2016 by Caver78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

Or what if the reason why there is no time traveler was due to our civilization in the future being bombed back to stone age?

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

Always a possibility, eh?

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 10:27 PM
link   
What if they somehow did not know they were a time traveler? There are many ways that could be possible. Maybe all of us are time travelers and have no clue?

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Can we just call this the John Titor Project?

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 10:42 PM
link   
As we sit here right now, there are people flying past us into the future beyond us, from the past
. From 2000 years ago. They are also at the same time flying past us back into the past to report what they saw in our future. It has all been reported. Think about what you might see if you traveled to the year 4000 AD. You might have trouble describing what you saw. Its all in Revelation. Its part of the design. And if your truly wise, you'll keep your eyes on Palestine.
I can tell you many things as I did 6 years ago, when I told buddies about Syria, Lebanon, and Damascus. I also have bad news about America. Something happens, that causes the whole world to stare at the US in disbelief at the overnight destruction. The smoke goes up forever, and the world cries out " Who will we sell our wares to now? What will we do?"

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I'm a time traveller on the internet. Not only do I live 12 hours or more in the future than most of you, but I also travel at 60 minutes an hour in time.

*shhhh* dont tell anyone..

Oo

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I am from the future, would you believe me ?

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
As we sit here right now, there are people flying past us into the future beyond us, from the past
. From 2000 years ago. They are also at the same time flying past us back into the past to report what they saw in our future. It has all been reported. Think about what you might see if you traveled to the year 4000 AD. You might have trouble describing what you saw. Its all in Revelation. Its part of the design. And if your truly wise, you'll keep your eyes on Palestine.
I can tell you many things as I did 6 years ago, when I told buddies about Syria, Lebanon, and Damascus. I also have bad news about America. Something happens, that causes the whole world to stare at the US in disbelief at the overnight destruction. The smoke goes up forever, and the world cries out " Who will we sell our wares to now? What will we do?"

I am the 8 of clubs. I am psychic and I can tell by intuition what happens, when I gather all the facts.

none of it has to do with revelations, but how the universe resonates. simple as that. some of us are stuck in time, some of us meant to experience the moment, and some, like me, are meant to simple observe and know the past and the future.

the 8 of clubs is psychic. we either focus and better ourselves, or we are confused by the things we see and remain ghosts, shadows.. we are the tree you sit under in a storm, to then walk away from, never realising the knowledge we have garnered from the entirety of everything we see and know.

time is an illusion. you cannot travel through time. it is all around us, and has been, always will be. just most people only experience their nostalgic limited understanding of it.

WE, the 8's see things differently... know things before that happen by intuition. there is no travel involved, you dont travel to stand still, you stand still to understand it all...

My lot in life has always been to experience what others are experiencing. and the good and bad all happen at once. it's everyone else that sees it as a seemingly sequential experience.

time travel is twaddle...

problem is, without everyone else, there is but darkness. we need you to experience your appearance of travelling forward moment by moment, so we can see what you do. without that, it's emptiness. timelessness has no need for travel. it's already happened.

edit on 25-12-2016 by savemebarry because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 11:02 PM
link   

So it seems my methods at concealment are effective. I'm glad years ago I never posted my diatribe about Comet ISON and it's relationship to Pope Francis(he is a time traveler too, but alien). So I can now rest in knowing, I have yet to detected.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   
They should contact me, I am a time traveler...I travel 1 second per second into the future all day everyday

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: savemebarry

You are ? Then please enlighten me. What royal bloodline am I from. Im serious. Lets see what you have

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   
You were describing me. 8 of clubs. Was that intentional? Maybe you are psychic. I may owe you an apology

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I see time as the measurement of the movement of matter.

There should be no matter to begin with, thus no time. Yet there is

Somehow, nothing was pulled apart into all things, both seen and unseen. That is when time began.

Can it be traversed? Maybe just spiritually, I don't know yet

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 01:15 AM
link   

i must be missing something - why would a hypothetical time traveller write anything about :

" comet ison " or " pope francis " in 2010 ????????????

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Time travel is easy.

Take two bottles of whiskey, drink them sloooowly..

Observe the effects

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 01:46 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

I almost did.

edit on 12/26/2016 by jappee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 03:17 AM
link   
This is from two years ago. But as paradoxes and string theory go they couldn't relate anything of relevance so I guess we will never know

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 03:24 AM
link   

If they exist they should leave them be, they'd help if they could, we should experience as we should. Knowing what's coming never boded well nor did being privy to information you shouldn't be ever work out well.

All in good time.

One day we'll be machines, have the ability to see all and feel all. Our brains are highly limited in terms of ability to experience or see. When we make that leap we'll be so busy seeing we'll forget what we were.

A species with very little personal perceptive ability, a species that relies on our emotional conduct and relationship with all we know, feel and perceive.

Maybe one day our bloodlines will be back, maybe they'd never want to help is... Maybe they rue the day they made the leap and no longer were humans.

Do machines cry?

All that can be done is observe. You do not want to see it all because once you do all is lost.
edit on 26-12-2016 by RAY1990 because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-12-2016 by RAY1990 because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-12-2016 by RAY1990 because: Spelling

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 05:40 AM
link   
The very act of observation changes what was to be. One does feel a loss of humanity when they sit on the pedastal and see All of the various time lines like so many grains of sand. Processing them all with human cognition would take eternity. I recommend stepping down, having a stiff drink and enjoying friends and family. When one is on that level, they are the only living thing and that gets boring real quick. It's definitely a catch 22, showing that it is merely a false enlightenment and one still has work to do to escape the cage.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join