It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freaky things that people eat and drink?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

my parents are the same, growing up in the 30's they were taught to cook it to death then add 15 minutes, made any pork taste like sawdust

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

I do mine in a pressure cooker, or if I'm really feeling lazy, I just go buy some at the chinese bbq joint in the city

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Sorry for the digression, NS.

Probably the weirdest holiday food I've ever seen (but not eaten) was over in China. Now they don't celebrate Christmas per se, but they do celebrate Chinese New Year which is around the same season (late January).

I actually witnessed the live Monkey tradition where they eat the brains (after killing it). I can't stand monkeys, but that one was a little over the top even for me!

That, and Pidan, or '100 year old eggs'. Them things is NASTY with a capital 'N'! In the Philippines there is a similar dish called 'Balut'...which is even more fun because you get parts of the bird embryo too (if they're done correctly). No thanks!

edit on 12/24/2016 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
Avian embryos and the smoked belly fat of the sus even toed undulates.

Balut?

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I've been thinking of trying that old Richard Nixon favorite...cottage cheese and ketchup

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Peanut butter and maple syrup on my pancakes.
Is that weird? Every time I eat it my friends look at me like I belong in a straight jacket.

edit on 12/24/2016 by Slinki because: Grammar nazi got me

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   
In Hawaii I have had deep fried fish bones and dried squid. The more you chew the squid the bigger it gets. In Florence I had octopuses ceviche. And in the great state of Georgia, pork cracklings and hogs head cheese. But nothing freaked me out like sea urchin roe.

To wash it all down my favourite is ice cold apple pie moonshine, made the old fashion way in a home made still and aged about 20 minutes for flavour.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Of course, then there's the Durian fruit (if you could call it that...a 'fruit') of SE Asia.

I've often wondered how different food dishes evolved. In other words, what made people think..."Yeah, let's EAT that!"

Here's a "fruit" which has a husk which would make a porcupine jealous, it's as hard as a rock and could easily be used as a formidable weapon. When you split it open with an axe or a serious machete (actually a parang), it smells like you've just severed a major sewer line. The pulp inside smells like a road-killed skunk which has been in the sun for a week. And once you get to the center (if you can make it that far without vomiting) you get this sac of stuff which looks greenish-tan in color (pretty much like pus or snot). This is the part you eat.

It's one of the only things on Earth (so I've come to understand) which doesn't taste like how it smells. The taste is completely different. It tastes like cherry mixed with mammoth amounts of garlic, like cherry-garlic, if you can picture that. It's off-the-scale rich. (not to my liking, but I did try it a couple times).

"Yeah, let's eat that!" (??????)

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daavin
do you cook them like chicken feet?

All depends on how much meat is on them.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

...apple pie moonshine...

We called that "Apple Jack", if it's the same thing I'm thinking of. You could drink it, use it to strip paint or run your car on it.

Good stuff!

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Peter peppers:

and baby carrots:

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   
My grandfather used to eat fish head soup. I ate it with him when I was young. I preferred the cheeks, he liked the eyes. It was really tasty soup.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Fish eye soup:

Unmentionable part of Camel (deep fried, of course):

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Like fish-head curry.

Now there's some GOOD stuff!!

...and yes, the cheeks are like tenderloin!

link   
a reply to: seattlerat

I have to say, fried camel dong is possibly the weirdest thing I have heard of.

What does it taste like? Does it have a little wang to it?

link   
One last thing...My husband likes to put Tabasco sauce in his coffee.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I have to say, fried camel dong is possibly the weirdest thing I have heard of.

What does it taste like? Does it have a little wang to it?

Ahhh,parts are parts just close your eyes and down the hatch.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   
out here they make prairie oysters (deep fried bulls testicles), actually not bad if you can get past the thought of what you're eating

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth
Ahhh,parts are parts just close your eyes and down the hatch.

I draw the line at weenus.

Even I have standards.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Does it have a little wang to it?

More like a little "Wham-Bam (thank you, M'aam)"

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join