It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freaky things that people eat and drink?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   
The festive season is upon us and many people have traditions and things that family’s do but some people are to me just plain odd.

This is not a Christmas thing but a year round occurrence.

A certain 13 year old lady I know likes to drink the brine from cans of olives, yes you read that right. She not only enjoys drinking the odd salty tinny stuff but even asks her sister if she can drink the brine from her can if they both have one????

I think that if given the choice she would take the brine over the olives.

Does anyone else have an odd and freaky eating thing that everyone else baulks at?

edit on Sat Dec 24 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: changed east to eat in title

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Lady fingers.

The real kind.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
This is a scotsman:

(its not a stereotype..they all look like this...every.single.one. Even the women.

This is Haggis:

Haggis is a savoury pudding containing sheep's pluck (heart, liver and lungs); minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, traditionally encased in the animal's stomach

Scottish people eat haggis.
This is why the english fear them...if they will eat that, they will eat a englishman!!!

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

You are one sick puppy! It is a good thing you are joking,you are
joking,right?

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   

I pour the course salt left in a bag of pretzels into my palm.and eat it straight up. Love the salty crunch.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
"Monkey Meat" pies!

Well, that's what I thought they were anyway! (in reality they were mince meat pies).

Granma Grinch E. Ratchet told me that...and I believed it...until I was about 25 (that's how skeery she was!). After that, still fearful of her reach from the nether world, I consciously avoided looking into the actual ingredients, favoring instead to just believe the ingredients were cat spleens and bird guts mixed together (owing to the difficulties getting actual monkey meat here in the States). I knew it had to be some alternative, because if it was hard to get or expensive she'd use some other creepy ingredient and tell you something like..

"EAT IT, DAMMIT....it tastes just like real butter!! So WHAT if it's purplish-green with crimson streaks!!"

edit on 12/24/2016 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I love pickle juice!!! and Haggis!!! two of my favourite things. While in Japan, I was given whale to try, did not like it, it was like eating a fish flavoured sponge, yuck

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I like everything unfinished and bland. I avoid putting sauce on anything. I don't care how bland it is. I prefer food before it's finished (but not before it's fully cooked!).

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

Replace the oatmeal with cornmeal eliminate the heart and lungs just using the liver. Let it set up , slice it and fry it.
We call it scrapple. Caviar of Pennsylvania and Delaware. Yum

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   

The only strange foods that I liked to eat was during pregnancy.
I liked eating those little sweet pickles dipped in peanut butter
and washed down with chocolate milk.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I once ate pidgeon in Egypt.
.....pretty good actually. Should chickens ever become extinct, I KFC will become KFP

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Avian embryos and the smoked belly fat of the sus even toed undulates.
edit on 12242016 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth
You are one sick puppy! It is a good thing you are joking,you are
joking,right?

Maybe.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX
I once ate pidgeon in Egypt.
.....pretty good actually. Should chickens ever become extinct, I KFC will become KFP

pigeon is tasty, as long as you don't overcook it, we make pigeon pie at least once a year. farmers out here in the prairies love to let you shoot them, not much meat on the buggers though

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Lady fingers.

The real kind.

do you cook them like chicken feet?

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Ah yes, haggis.

Nothing like cutting open a sheep's stomach and having a bunch of worms ooze out! YUMMMMMM!

Note...Granma Grinch LOVED that stuff too! That, and burnt toast. In fact, she liked just about everything "burnt". If she was served a piece of chicken which wasn't charred all the way to the bone, and the bone vulcanized into a diamond, she'd start wailing. It would start off low, kinda' like a growl, and eventually develop into this deafening air-raid siren like wail of words...."you're gonna' DIE IF YOU EAT that raw chicken! you should KNOW BETTER THAN to serve me something like that!!!"

...it would go on like that, sometimes for hours, steadily rising to ear-splitting volume and then tapering off to nothing, over and over. Once everyone had taken sufficient cover from the looming apocalypse (even the dog), she'd signal the "all-clear" (I'll spare you all) and everyone would come out of hiding. Following that you'd NEVER make that mistake again!! When chicken was for dinner her's went in the oven at about 7am 500 degrees. Then about 5:30pm everyone elses chicken went in the oven at 375.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Squab by any other name. Sweet all dark meat.
I had quail with raspberry coulet and jokingly offered my husband a one inch long drumstick. In a nice French restaurant on long island called La Mansard. (Like the roof style)
Best pate de foie gras served in tiny ramicans with perfect little toasted baget slices.
Chocolate mouse so light you weighed less after eating it.
It was why I learned how to cook.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Wonder how granny would feel about pink pork roasts or tenderloin? Back in the day when trichanosis was infecting our hogs they crucified the pork too.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Daavin

I put chicken feet in my chicken stock pot. It gives the soup a golden color.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Oh, don't even get me started on pork!!!

In all fairness to her though, that's exactly where all that stemmed from. She was 1st generation American, her parents (my GGPs) having come over from Ireland, and then lived through the Depression (as did my parents). Food had to be cooked to a crisp to eliminate pathogens (and cover up the rancid tastes). She just took it to extremes.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join