It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy Winter Solstice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Here it is at last - the shortest day of the year. The afternoons will start getting lighter from tomorrow, thank goodness. In the Northern Hemisphere anyway.

Here is a very informative article from the Daily Telegraph:

www.telegraph.co.uk...

The December solstice happens at the same instant for all of us, everywhere on Earth. This year the solstice occurs on Wednesday December 21st at 10:44 GMT (Universal time). The winter solstice happens every year when the Sun reaches its most southerly declination of -23.5 degrees. In other words, when the North Pole is tilted farthest – 23.5 degrees – away from the Sun, delivering the fewest hours of sunlight of the year.

The Sun is directly overhead of the Tropic of Capricorn in the Southern Hemisphere during the December solstice and is closer to the horizon than at any other time in the year, meaning shorter days and longer nights.

pic from another source.
edit on 21-12-2016 by berenike because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 06:03 AM
link   
a reply to: berenike

It is the only thing I'm celebrating at this time of the year.
The sun is coming back yay!

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 06:15 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

I start looking forward to the Winter Solstice from early November

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 06:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Merry Christmas you miserable bugger.

It would be nice if the Sun did come back, but this is the U.K, so we may see glimpses, nothing more.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 06:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

It also means that in a weeks time Christmas will be over.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I guess Australians are enjoying the tallest day of the year.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

And upside down. They have all the fun over there.

This site gives some handy information on Yule and the Winter Solstice:

www.thewhitegoddess.co.uk...

I was going to give a quote detailing the Yule Log traditions but then I remembered who my audience was. So:

Wassail, is derived from the Anglo-Saxon wes hál, meaning 'be whole', or 'be of good health', or Old Norse ves heill, and was a salutation use at Yule, when the wassail bowl was passed around with toasts and singing. Wassail carols would be sung as people would travel from house to house in the village bringing good wishes in return for a small gratuity. The Apple Tree Wassail, sung in hopes of a good crop of cider the following year, other such as the Gower Wassail carol still survive today.

Recipe for Yule Wassail
3 red apples
3 oz brown sugar
2 pints brown ale, apple cider, or hard cider
1/2 pint dry sherry or dry white wine
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger strips or lemon peel

Core and heat apples with brown sugar and some of the ale or cider in an oven for 30 minutes. Put in large pan and add rest of spices and lemon peel, simmer on stove top of 5 minutes. Add most of the alcohol at the last minute so it heats up but does not evaporate. Burgundy and brandy can be substituted to the ale and sherry. White sugar and halved oranges may also be added to taste. Makes enough for eight.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   

I always feel a relief after the winter solstice because I know the days will begin to lengthen minute by minute. The nights leading up to the solstice are way too long for me.

One thing I've noticed every year for decades is beginning in January (I'm in New England), some of the winter bird residents will excitedly burst into song no matter how cold it is or how much snow is on the ground. It's mostly the cardinals and titmice though other birds do, too. They know.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: tweetie

Something happens in the UK in January too, as far as I've noticed anyway. At some point in the month we get what I call a 'false spring' - it seems to be a bit milder, lighter and the birds wake up a bit.

I've never discussed it with anyone else or read anything about it but it definitely happens each year.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   

We call it the January thaw over here.
After that, we head into our deepest cold of the year going into February.

When in tune with the often subtle cycles of Nature, one learns many things.

I think I shall light a candle today for the coming increased brightness and for all people seeking the light within.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Happy Solstice to everyone!

It is the season of hope and preparation, as we anticipate the rebirth of life and light. May you all have light!

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Happy Solstice, all hail the Sun King - he's coming back, hurray!!
May everyone enjoy a brighter New Year, full of health and happiness x

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Merry Mithras and a Happy Saturnalia! But seriously, this is a good time to take it easy. Real easy. To be grateful for being alive. No need to stuff oneself to excess. A la la. shuddhe ah. Peace and brother-and-sister-hood. Emphasis on 'hood' and hoodies and homies especially. Fellow Dharmapalas rejoice!
edit on 21-12-2016 by Namdru because: add 'palas'

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Happy Solstice/Yule!!!

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Thanks for your good wishes, I hope you have happy holidays, oops, a happy solstice as well
Don't drink to much or celebrate to hard, it can get messy

Any celebrations planned, maybe break out the sunscreen

We had a mild 41 degrees in my neck of the woods, guess that's about 110 degrees in ancient temperature countings, wish it would cool down a tad, love to rug up instead of try cool down

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   

I welcome the coming Spring with open arms , each day from here is a step closer.
Lets feast.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Happy solstice to all!

This is one of my favorite days of the year. It's like a sort of annual rebirth.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Happy Solstice to everybody! and we will be drinking hard cider, but that Wassail recipe sounds quite delicious.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Thanks for this. Happy Solstice!
Celebration source

new topics

top topics

join