It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ACLU Threatens Donald Trump Via New York Times Ad

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   

President-elect Trump, as you assume the nation’s highest office, we urge you to reconsider and change course on certain campaign promises you have made. These include your plan to amass a deportation force to remove 11 million undocumented immigrants; ban the entry of Muslims into our country and aggressively surveil them; punish women for accessing abortion; reauthorize waterboarding and other forms of torture; and change our nation’s libel laws and restrict freedom of expression.

These proposals are not simply un-American and wrong-headed, they are unlawful and unconstitutional. They violate the First, Fourth, Fifth, Eighth, and Fourteenth Amendments. If you do not reverse course and instead endeavor to make these campaign promises a reality, you will have to contend with the full firepower of the ACLU at every step. Our staff of litigators and activists in every state, thousands of volunteers, and millions of card-carrying supporters are ready to fight against any encroachment on our cherished freedoms and rights.

LINK

Of things listed in the emboldened part above, I believe the only completely accurate accusation is that Trump wants to "reauthorize waterboarding and other forms of torture." I'm completely against that. I'm not in favor of punishing women for accessing abortion, but I don't recall Trump ever saying that. There will be no ban on Muslims entering the U.S., and Trump has never said that would happen. I'm not in favor of changing libel laws or restricting freedom of expression. Trump has been vague on that issue, and we'll see where it goes.

When it comes to deporting undocumented immigrants, they are committing an illegal act by their mere presence in the country. How anyone doesn't understand that is beyond me. They have no right to be in the country. There is no wiggle room there.
edit on 19-12-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Does the constitution stand for the whole world and criminals? Or just US citizens? I thought you lost a lot of constitutional rights as a felon, but I'm not sure.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Every man and woman is born with God given rights. Government cannot grant what one was already born with.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Not in the Middle East a reply to: Blueracer

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 11:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blueracer
Every man and woman is born with God given rights. Government cannot grant what one was already born with.

How does this relate to the post?

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: pteridine

The right to free travel. Just because it is "illegal" does not make it wrong, ie: immigration.
edit on 12/19/2016 by Blueracer because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Trump has explicitly stated he will follow the laws and work with congress. It is only that he is a master of "leaving everything on the table". His sweeping claims are simple negotiation tactics, and look how well they've worked on these folks. It was only a matter of time before they came grovelling, and it's a beautiful thing.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 11:48 PM
link   

The right to free travel. Just because it is "illegal" does not make it wrong, ie: immigration.

Try it.

Come here without a visa.

I dare ya.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Armies can immigrate.

One mans army is another mans immigrants.

Oh, and wrong is dependent on the definition the host country gives it.

And F The NY Times.
edit on 12 19 2016 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Oh no, the ACLU is triggered...
I haven't seen them this worked up since the scopes monkey trial...
Hopefully we can train enough therapy dogs for these poor, triggered lawyers and activists...

How about I give leftists a quick primer on who should be afraid and why???

If you are an illegal alien with a felony conviction, especially one with a violent component to the aforementioned felony then you will be gone---unless u are already serving a jail sentence in which case u will be allowed to stay in jail until such time u complete your term then you will be sent to ur country of origin where u can commit all the felonies ur little brain desires...

Law-abiding illegal aliens will find most Americans to be open-minded given said illegal aliens want to assimilate and CONTRIBUTE to our society and culture...

-Chris

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 11:59 PM
link   

How is this a human right? Travel is a human activity but hardly a right. The US has laws pertaining to immigration and does accept immigrants, so it is not illegal.

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Does the ACLU know that there's no constitutional right to enter the US?

Probably no eh?

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 05:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

Does the ACLU know that there's no constitutional right to enter the US?

Probably no eh?

That is ok, you have to forgive their ignorance because the ACLU like many hard core liberals believe the rules of US law don't apply to them unless they feel they have been wronged in a FAIR process.

I should create a petition against the ACLU for acting against the common interests and laws of the everyday US citizen. Disband them I would say!

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 05:29 AM
link   
One by one the liberals offer up their sacred institutions for sacrifice. One by one they fall into a heap of disbelief as time honored traditions that brought them glory cease to be effective.
Perhaps the ACLU will learn a new legal term..... frivolous lawsuit. The Bill of Rights/ COTUS only applies to American Citizens and are not bestowed on specific nationalities who enter on their own accord.

mexico has a duty, a responsibility, not pertinent to their approval of America's actions, to help their returning citizens. They should be encouraging their people to return home with dignity and pride...... and not locked in a bus with 60 other people uncertain about their future. Instead they will create strife and tell them they are victims lured into this situation by America's long standing open border policy..... and their misery is not by their own doing.

The first wave of deportations should be the mexicans who proudly waved the mexican flag at rallies, carrying signs denouncing the very country they or their parents snuck into. Loyalty to the USA is part of the swearing in ceremony, some are guilty of publicly violating this oath and are eligible to be striped of their citizenship and returned to their country of origin. Show their misery to all, show them whole families being loaded onto buses with fear in their eyes and tears rolling down the faces of their children. Give them a set amount of time to get their affairs in order. Give them time to sell their homes and unneeded belongings.... send a clear message
Their property should become state owned if they will not self deport and to recover the costs of their deportations be auctioned off.

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 07:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Trump has explicitly stated he will follow the laws and work with congress. It is only that he is a master of "leaving everything on the table". His sweeping claims are simple negotiation tactics, and look how well they've worked on these folks. It was only a matter of time before they came grovelling, and it's a beautiful thing.

" It was only a matter of time before they came groveling"
It seems that these alphabet agencies are finally becoming transparent as threats to America. And America is fed up. Fed up with all manner of perverse platforms these agencies espouse and stand for. We will NOT have it forced down our throat.

So yea, it's good to see these agencies Grovel.

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   
OK, so the US Constitution only affects US Citizens. If you are not one, then it doesn't apply to you (get over yourself!). The Constitution does indeed certain inalienable rights (granted by god to all people) and these are: life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. The Bill of Rights and subsequent amendments to the Constitution ONLY apply to citizens. This means that illegal aliens are entitled to nothing more than deportation. I am all for immigration (as long as you do it the correct way. As for waterboarding etc..., to my understanding it was only ever used on war criminals (but they can't even technically be called that). You see, in our war on terrorism, most of our enemies are not protected by even the Geneva Convention and by right can legally be shot on site after they surrender, but our nation is soft on them. I would state that the ACLU should stop whining, but that would be useless seeing as that seems to be the current reason for their existence.

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   

The right to travel is not the right to residency. You may make some more arguments about they have the right to contract with anyone they want(landlords, employers).
Then what happens once these people get sick, children need schooling, etc.
Are they still going to embrace libertarian rights and do it all themselves(pay full cost at hospitals, no welfare, pay for schools), because they are NOT in a contract with United states, they violate the contract by coming into the US illegally, they are consistently in violation of the law/contract.
IF the law is wrong and one wants to live outside of it, cool. But do not be using government services and taking government money.

if I look at PEW opinion polls of hispanics or even get into illegal immigrants opinions I can tell you for a fact they are not libertarians and won't be using those arguments.

IF you are not a libertarian, I doubt you can muster much of a counter. Trying to use principles like that and not be libertarian is extremely messing and typically the person collapses under their hypocrisy.

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Christosterone
Law-abiding illegal aliens

There's an oxymoron for you.

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   

do you really want people to start digging where Trump said or tweeted: amass a deportation force to remove 11 million undocumented immigrants; ban the entry of Muslims into our country and aggressively surveil them

or are you blissfully convinced he said no such things....

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

do you really want people to start digging where Trump said or tweeted: amass a deportation force to remove 11 million undocumented immigrants; ban the entry of Muslims into our country and aggressively surveil them

or are you blissfully convinced he said no such things....

I have not heard him talk about removing 11 million at all, I have heard him say remove the violent ones and multiple offenders and get the ones that fall outside of that to re-register the right way. I am fine with removing all though as other posters have pointed out...they did not go about it legally and should not be here....why would I get arrested for stealing food if I can't provide for my family and they are hungry? If you can't uphold the laws then why are they there?

Banning entry for Muslims I have heard and agree with, but that goes to the same thoughts on immigration in general for me. We need to overhaul our screening process and re-evaluate everything we have known. If you can't get it close to 95% correct then it should be shut down....I don't really care what anyone says about it, but if you have someone in your life that is affected by these laws because of an illegal immigrant or even someone on a work visa or whatever that is not from here it makes you feel a bit different. What do you say to all the families of those killed by undocumented drunk drivers, which has happened a LOT in the US. What solace can they be offered that they can't even get real justice because of the fact the person that killed their loved one(s) is not a citizen?

As far as surveillance of Muslims, that is another one I have not seen any direct attribution to Trump on either.

Actually as far as the ban of Muslims goes, I can't find an actual quote but do remember him saying that he wanted it until the time in which the system gets the screening process correct. As we have seen in Germany, the process of just letting everyone in is backfiring now and suddenly there is internal chaos. The reason we don't see these stories every day in the US is because the MSM is trying to keep what really happens in these cases out of the public eye since our current and past administrations have simply opened the borders up to anyone and everyone.

Anywho.....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join