It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Norman Lear's Classic TV shows being rebooted...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   
variety.com...

variety.com... Sony Pictures Television is in very early stages of rebooting several classic sitcoms from TV legend Norman Lear as miniseries — including “All in the Family,” “The Jeffersons,” and “Good Times” — Variety has learned exclusively. The idea currently being discussed by Lear and Sony executives would be to have new actors recreate classic episodes of the shows, working from the original scripts, and package them as short, six-episode anthologies. The scripts would be treated similar to plays being mounted in new productions. “There is some talk about doing some of the original shows, redoing them with today’s stars,” Lear told Variety. “There is a possibility that we’ll do ‘All in the Family,’ ‘Maude,’ ‘The Jeffersons,’ “Good Times.'

WHY? A lot of the progressive angles those shows took are now commonplace and no longer culturally significant taboos.

I suppose strictly money is a good reason. Some potential for some fun cameos too.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Arnold_OldSchool

I'm sure a program where a white guy in Queens talking about the coloreds and his dumb wife will go over real well.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

To be fair he was an equal opportunity offender. He hated everybody.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

That's why he was such a great character. I just don't see this show being updated, I think too many people are too easily offended.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I'm sure a program where a white guy in Queens talking about the coloreds and his dumb wife will go over real well.

Dear god, would you people just lay off of Trump!

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

The complete irony is he even has a Polish son in law.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Is he unemployed too?

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

In an era of SJWs and Political Correctness, what could possibly go wrong?

edit on 12/18/2016 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

No, I think this one actually makes more than he does.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal
In an era of SJWs and Political Correctness, what would possibly go wrong?

I am willing to find out.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   

I hope they do a good job. I watch All in the Family on YouTube, they have full eps, all seasns and an unaired pilot. it is still very relevant.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   

What about Amos and Andy?

In this short clip of the Amos and Andy show we see the Kingfish, Andy, Amos and Calhoon dealing with being gay (and "fighting" that fact). Long before Seinfeld tackled the issue of being Gay (not that there's anything wrong with it), we see that the issue of being gay was 1st addressed in this classic (albeit controversial) television series from the 1950s. Pioneering in 1st addressing this issue in a time when even married couples on television slept in twin beds this was a bold step. They deal with this not directly, but by implication. Shocking by today's standards? No. Shocking by 1950's standards? I would say - absolutely. This was the only episode where the issue was even implied.

Amos and Andy Dealing with being Gay in the 1950s

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Watch it buster!

Seriously though it all depends on the casting. Few actors can pull off harmless adorable racist .

Fun fact the character Archie was in his forties..

RIP Carol O'Connor..

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   

It could be updated.
Instead of having Sammy Davis, Jr kissing Archie, he could get drunk and bring home a transvestite to wake up to in the morning.... with Edith there too.... and a smile on her face.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

So many people = triggered.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Sitcoms are kind of a tricky deal these days...some work really well. Most crash and burn after one season (or a partial season)... The nostalgia factor though, has at least a good debut audience. But so many of them were based on shock value, where those things just aren't shocking anymore. It would need a different model if they remake them.

new topics

top topics

join