It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turning Words Into Nouns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I talk in weird ways for my own amusement. Typically, i try to amuse myself and if anyone else is amused, then bully for them. Turning words into nouns is something my whole family has started doing.
Its most prevalent with Samby, our most recent dog companion. He was a shelter dog for his whole life of 18 months, so melted quickly into our dog loving family. And he's a really good dog. He needs his affection, like he's catching up on lost time. So about every 10 minutes or so he'll come put his front paws in your lap to get his pets. He'll circulate around the room, going to each person collecting the pets they have for him. Pets are his currency, and he collects his taxes in a timely manner.

Him and the youngest boy (an adult) will roll around and play in the floor. It always ends up with Samby chewing on my sons arm or hand. He likes giving some chews and playing bites. I don't know why the arm and hand. Maybe he tastes like sausage.

Sasha, my rather plump little black weiner dog, always keeps a few sits in my lap for when she needs one. Samby, on the other hand, tends to leave all of his sits on top of my foot. Big lard plops down on my foot when i switch his pets for scratches. He settles in for the long haul.

All this started when my youngest son was a baby. He was learning English (or, learning to talk, however you wanna look at it) and would call food "bites". Drinks were "cups". So he'd say stuff like "Good bites" or "Good cup" when he liked his snack or refreshment.

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

LOL,I talked to my child in strange ways sometimes when she was a baby. Almost our own language. I called her La la or poppo...when I look this up, now, I find it very common to call a baby La La and in Japan Poppo.

In regard to my cats..I talk to them in very strange ways. "Come get your comforts" means "stand on me while I lay on my side and move your paws back and forth." Animal experts have different reasons as to why cats do this. But one cat knows exactly what I mean when I say it.

When I pour food it is "Time for FOODY" and they both come running. When I say 'time for TREAT!' it means catnip and they know it.

When I say 'Time for sleepy' the older one knows to follow me to the bedroom.

The younger cat seems to respond to."And what do you have to say for youself?' (not a typo) She will come to be petted or scratched when she is really shy, a rescue who really never fully recovered from where I rescued her from.

They both respond to 'bad ! no fighting!' when they rarely overdo the playfighting.

edit on 17-12-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-12-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

we adopt kids misstatements. My nephew has recently added:

- "rolling valley" = bowling alley
- "pokey pie" = Pokemon
- "Pack 'em" = Pac Man

My youngest, when he wasn't quite 2, pointed at the full moon and said "ball". People think my wife and I are nuts when we call the moon "ball".

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 11:18 PM
link   

edit on 17-12-2016 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 01:47 AM
link   
When we paid our first visit to Scotland, my younger brother was looking forward to seeing the Loch Ness Lobster.
And on the subject of "adopted" children's words, my father to the end of his life always referred to scrambled egg as "Quag-o-wag" (my brother again).

edit on 18-12-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 03:40 AM
link   

My wife and I do this too. My favorites from our kiddo: 1) "chill down" (as in, "you need to relax and chill down, daddy") and 2) washmouth (instead of mouthwash). It's a lot of fun.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 07:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Loch Ness Lobster.

I've adopted a new term

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   
We do that with our dogs and cats but with my daughter we have always used the corrects words.

Bottle not baba and so on.

We talk cute with her but always use the correct wording. Sounds stupid but i can honestly say her vocabulary skills absolutely exceed other children her age.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Yeah, well, "google" started out as a noun, and became a verb.

So, you're in good company.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: AMPTAH

we call it "The Google". an old lady i know called it that, so i adopted it.

new topics

top topics

join