It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook is going to use Snopes and other fact checkers to combat fake news

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Lookout fake news !!!

Facebook management has announced they will be fact checking and labeling and burying fake news and hoaxes !!!

And the best part is: they will be "partnering" with other outfits like ABC and Snopes.

I can't wait to watch their definitions of hoaxes and fake.

It will be a new era of chopping and butchering.

Facebook is going to use Snopes and other fact checkers to combat fake news

Facebook is going to start fact checking, labeling, and burying fake news and hoaxes in the News Feed, the company announced on Thursday.

The decision comes after Facebook received heated criticism for its role in spreading a deluge of political misinformation during the U.S. presidential election.

To combat fake news, Facebook has partnered with a shortlist of media organizations, including Snopes and ABC News, that are part of an international fact-checking network lead by Poynter, a nonprofit school for journalism located in St. Petersburg, Florida.

+14 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Hasn't Snopes been proven to be biased and being itself not completely truthful?
edit on 15-12-2016 by ksiezyc because: Question mark

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   

That’s fine I never got my news from facebook anyways. So the fact that they want to become more fake won’t affect me one way or another.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: ksiezyc

Hasn't Snopes been proven to be biased and being itself not completely truthful?

In some cases they have shown to be biased.

But they keep their image up by posting the easy topics that can't be challenged.

Then they sneak in the ones that only some people think are genuine.

Very clever and controlled "pay for play".

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   

I doubt there are many here on ATS that have a Facebook account so this doesn't affect us as much as the average Joe who actually gets his 'news' from social media. My concern is that Snopes is a disinfo site with a strong left-wing bias. It isn't the end all be all of truth...not even close.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Snopes went downhill into the trash bin several years ago... Facebook might as well rely on Weekly World News for stories.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: StarsInDust

That’s fine I never got my news from facebook anyways. So the fact that they want to become more fake won’t affect me one way or another.

It may not affect you or me at all but it will have a huge impact on millions of people. This is how the Dems are going to accomplish their goal of internet censorship and shutting down right wing news. Anything negative about them or their policies will be labeled fake and removed. Even if Trump ends up making it to the White House, this will be the last time anyone else other than a Dem is President. They will control the narrative, they will be the only influence. Kinda sounds like some other communist countries I can think of.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: awhispersecho

Very true. The young folk use social media such as Facebook 24/7 and I know for a fact that they look at the news and so long it supports what they already believe they will believe it without further research and then proceed to share it with their "friends". Most are liberals. Fake news and this possible censorship will be rather huge.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Ministry of truth.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Show us the way Fakebook.....

This sounds ridiculous.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Fakebook is not a Newsworthy website to begin with. I would not trust anything I read on facebook.

If fakebook wants to censorship, what they believe is fake News, I say let them. Anyone that depends on fakebook for their daily News deserves to be kept in the dark just for being to lazy to check out other credibal alternatives media.

Facebook is not a News organization's.
edit on 15-12-2016 by Informer1958 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I predict Mark Zuckerburg will buy out Snopes and integrate it into FB's platform by the end of 2017.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   
15 yrs old should be the limit for Facebook use.

kinda like designer jeans on dudes.

Anything after that is a threat to your freedom or professional life.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: ksiezyc

Yes Snopes is fakenews as far as i am conscerned.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
15 yrs old should be the limit for Facebook use.

kinda like designer jeans on...Obama.

Ummm...There ya go...I changed that for ya...

I totally agree...Fakebook is for children...and we know how absolutely childish some of the regressives can wax...

Now...Myspace on the other hand...

YouSir
edit on 15-12-2016 by YouSir because: there was a disturbance...in the force...

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Ya know, even 'Snopes' is suspect. They probably rate high, but are not the last word. Just search some about them.. some's good, some's less than good. Ya know like Wikipedia in court or.

All mouthboogie... The answers are there. Places like Harvard Yale, Stanford, Columbia have their Law Libraries
So is there an absolute good place for info ?

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: awhispersecho

Yours is a good analysis!

It sounds like stuff that happens in communist countries because..........the one thing this election cycle has shed light on is the fact that about 40% of the Democrat party and the DNC elites ARE Marxists at heart.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Informer1958

Fakebook is not a Newsworthy website to begin with. I would not trust anything I read on facebook.

If fakebook wants to censorship, what they believe is fake News, I say let them. Anyone that depends on fakebook for their daily News deserves to be kept in the dark just for being to lazy to check out other credibal alternatives media.

Facebook is not a News organization's.

Then you do not understand the score. This is not just facebook or snopes or ABC..

google is in the mix too saying they will defund any website they deem is fake news.. Google adsense is how most sites make money..

Oh why is ATS censoring certain topics now? Hmm? Well, you will be asking this soon after their first strike..

the model is not censorship on it's own.. It's censorship AND punishment.

Lest we forget...

The NDAA Legalizes The Use Of Propaganda On The US Public

The newest version of the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) includes an amendment that would legalize the use of propaganda on the American public, reports Michael Hastings of BuzzFeed.

The amendment — proposed by Mac Thornberry (R-Texas) and Adam Smith (D-Wash.) and passed in the House last Friday afternoon — would effectively nullify the Smith-Mundt Act of 1948, which explicitly forbids information and psychological operations aimed at influencing U.S. public opinion.

Did you guys not watch the brookings institute say they were targetting ISIS first with behavior modification from the government US Psychological Operations units in the military, and from NGOs one of which being google? Phase 2 was aimed at the far right in America.. And they didn't say what phase 3 was but you can guess.. The meeting is on youtube for anyone to watch I watched it because the news story reporting on it was deemed "FAKE NEWS" so I found the original source and found it to be completely correct.

Some of you guys are way behind on what is going on.

"oh it's just facebook. "

works everytime on you guys..

Facebook is how people spread news to each other like their families..
Not everyone is so narrow minded to think only ATSers matter.. But for those who somehow have that daft idea that 400,000 people or whatever it is makes a huge dent in the 350,000,000 people in America... Please realize what you are saying..
edit on 15-12-2016 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   
The 4 Fact-Checkers that Facebook is using to label which news is "Fake News" to be censored are Politifact, Snopes, ABC and Factcheck.org. All of these are Left-wing and absurdly biased.

This just has authoritarianism all over it. What is the deal with Facebook getting involved with this in the first place? It's a social media network where the majority of it's users just post photos of themselves. What is the driving force behind this?

edit on 15-12-2016 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Snopes.....for fact-checking.....BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alright, now that I can breathe again....wow, they have lost it.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join