It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marijuana Legalization 2016: DEA’s New Cannabis Laws Make CBD, Other Extracts Schedule I Drugs

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   

United States’ Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) on Wednesday set new cannabis extract laws by amending the Schedule I Controlled Substances Act to include tighter regulations for marijuana extracts, including cannabidiol (CBD). In the new drug code titled “Establishment of a New Drug Code for Marihuana Extract,” the DEA says it is “creating a separate code number for marihuana extract with the following definition: ‘Meaning an extract containing one or more cannabinoids that has been derived from any plant of the genus Cannabis, other than the separated resin (whether crude or purified) obtained from the plant.’ Extracts of marihuana will continue to be treated as Schedule I controlled substances.”

This can be found here.

So the DEA has decided to schedule all cannabis products - even the extracts used medicinally and that do not get a person high - as Schedule I narcotics, right up there with lsd and heroin. There are children out there who suffered from hundreds of seizures per day until they were given these extracts! I keep reading story after story from people who have used these extracts to treat a myriad of health issues with success.

You know, I just can't help but feel like someone is scared, and I think I know who it is:

Pharmaceutical companies are likely a bit worried about these natural remedies cutting into their profits.

I think the DEA is worried due to so many states legalizing medicinal and recreational marijuana... If they don't have the MJ Bogeyman to chase, will they still be relevant?

Hopefully, this new rule will be challenged in court. Imo, the DEA is an enforcement agency and they are overstepping their duties when they start legislating. They have stated that they used a combination of UN and International treaties to justify this abuse of power. Never mind those pesky States' Rights, eh?

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: DustbowlDebutante

DEA sucks.
Alcohol kills so many people including non users, in the case of drunk driving accidents..... but extracts of cannibal that have no psychoactive properties and NO danger are a schedule one drug?

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Absolute BS.
What is wrong with these people? Corrupt A holes.

I hope this gets taken to court as well. Sooner rather than later.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   

If they don't have the MJ Bogeyman to chase, will they still be relevant?

You would think that the DEA & friends would be more motivated to stop the flow of heroin from coming into this country through Mexico. All of that dope has got to be eating into big pharma's pain pill market. Something is up, and has been for a long time now.

But you do realize that CDB and other medicinal extracts are already schedule 1 prohibited. They're banned federally but are allowed to function in states that voted in medical marijuana.

And besides, even if they started to enforce that ban in the states with medical, the demand for CDB from concerned parents with epileptic children is far too high for the market to simply disappear from regulation. Remember prohibition?

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Exactly.

I have a hard time believing these asshats have nothing better to do than take harmless, natural medicine away from folks who desperately need it. I've had a seizure before and it is not fun. IMO, even ONE seizure per day is one too many. But a child having hundreds of them each day? That is no way to live, there's no quality of life in that.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

Remember prohibition?

Yeah, unfortunately they did it, before they undid it. And all these years later, the morons still didn't learn.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Holy #! This is a step in the wrong direction. This is proof positive that the DEA doesn't care about the public and what they want. Only about protecting their jobs.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

Right? They need to be focusing on more harmful substances. I'm scratching my head when it comes to their approach to the opioid problem in this country. Doctors are afraid to prescribe, so they are cutting folks off of pain meds that many of them need. So those people are in pain and find a fix elsewhere; they buy other peoples' pills, go to using heroin, whatever. Apparently, many of them switch over to kratom instead, so of course now the DEA is trying to schedule that as a schedule I drug as well. Gotta protect those profits at all costs - expecially with the new prescribing laws and regulations undoubtedly already cutting into those pain med profits!

It's going to be pretty funny when every state has legalized MJ and the DEA is still trying to enforce their bs...lol. But sadly, I think that every single state legalizing will be the only way the feds ever give up on this subject.

And I hope that if they do try to enforce this in the states where it has already been legalized, those parents you mentioned rise up and make plenty of noise, so that the government and DEA have to listen.

You would think they would be on board the minute someone says "It's for the children"....

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
And I'm sure those will be along to defend the actions of the "small-government," and they're ridiculousness.

This makes me want to take radical action against my own government. I'm tired of this #.

President-Elect doesn't pay his #ing taxes - Hillary's corruption needs no introduction - but hey, that's all good!

But God forbid consenting and free adults excercise their "fwedumb," in a nation that's supposedly free.

# America.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   
My cousins 3 year old daughter takes cbd oil and she went from daily seizures to one a month if that at all. It works undoubtedly.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   
What a bunch of f$cktard's, I guess I'm not surprised though, the DEA is interested in job security and MJ is the low hanging fruit.
All about control as well as keeping the private prison industry stocked with fresh fodder, I bet Trump is on board.
edit on 15-12-2016 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-12-2016 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Slickinfinity

See? This right here!

And I bet the CBD oil has far fewer side effects than anti-convulsant pharmaceuticals, too. My little brother has epilepsy and took one called Dilantin for probably around 15 years (he takes Keppra now) and it did horrible things to his gums and the lining of his mouth, as well as making his brow more prominent (yeah, it made him look like a caveman!). And although the mouth issues went away after switching meds, he will now and always have neanderthal brow.

I hope no children have to suffer because the adults in charge at the DEA and in our government don't give a damn about them.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Dont forget: That is Obama's DEA. The Dem's will apologize this to no end, but its the truth. This His legacy all along, despite the lip service charade he's been playing US with.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
What a bunch of f$cktard's, I guess I'm not surprised though, the DEA is interested in job security and MJ is the low hanging fruit.
All about control as well as keeping the private prison industry stocked with fresh fodder, I bet Trump is on board.
Low hanging fruit indeed. At least half of the adults in this country have used marijuana at some point. We all know it's less harmful than alcohol. So, what is the deal?

Politics and bottom lines of corporate interests. When will it become about we the people? Oh yea corps are people too now.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom

If they don't have the MJ Bogeyman to chase, will they still be relevant?

You would think that the DEA & friends would be more motivated to stop the flow of heroin from coming into this country through Mexico. All of that dope has got to be eating into big pharma's pain pill market. Something is up, and has been for a long time now.

Why? Then they'd be out of a job. It's in the DEA's best interest as an agency to keep the drugs coming in. That way they can get more money, more toys, and more job security.

The DEA has never been about helping people, unless you count jailing sick people as helping them.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

You know, it's probably silly.... But I keep hoping that Trump, as a businessman, sees that the War on Drugs is NOT a good investment and is the equivalent of throwing good money after bad. And if he is the astute businessman he claims to be, I hope he will also see how much of an economic boon MJ legalization could be for each state, as well as for the US as a whole, via taxation on legal mj.

Maybe he will pleasantly surprise us? I'm hoping...

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Signs aren't too hopeful given who Trump has selected for AG...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   
bummer. with all these states including mine passing medical use laws i really thought we were on the right track to full on legalization.

sucks but in the end im gonna continue to do my thing....when/if these issues come up for vote i will vote my way...

people need to get their heads out of their asses

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I know, I know... I had seen that, too...

But I'm still hoping. Can't hurt to hope, right?

Also, I'm assuming that Trump will want another term after this one....
If he's smart, he won't go against the wishes of the people who put him in office: The People.
edit on 15-12-2016 by DustbowlDebutante because: added

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I've become more cynical ever since they said they would consider rescheduling mj, but then didn't. And now they are just tightening the restrictions even more!

I also find it interesting that the federal government has a patent (#6,630,507) in which HHS claims that there is potential use for the non-psychoactive cannabinoids in cannabis for diseases, but the DEA is just doubling down on the whole "no valid medical use" rhetoric...

That one really grinds my gears. Talk about your doublespeak!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join