It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police allow K-9 to bite a naked, unarmed man for over 40 seconds after officers had him restrained

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Police body cam video — never before seen publicly — that shows cops allowing a K-9 to bite a naked, unarmed man, including for over 40 seconds after officers had him pinned to the ground.

Attorneys who've seen the video say it amounts to excessive force, and raises questions for all police departments about how they use K-9s.
The initial police call came out around 8:30 in the morning on a Saturday in August 2015. Patrol officers with the San Diego Police Department were asked to check on the welfare of a naked man screaming and running through a canyon in University City, a San Diego suburb near La Jolla,

So law enforcement justifies shooting dogs because of bite risk, but they have no problem using that 'bite' on unarmed, restrained citizens.

Makes perfect sense.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

Police who take zero risk are zeros. Police who take extreme risk are heroes.

These police not only took zero risk but then added in purposeful damage to the victim. They should go to jail for this because dangerous people belong in jail. The naked guy was not dangerous almost by definition, but the police in this case are. The police who said nothing to stop this should also go to jail.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   
They told him to approach and he did. They told him to get arrested (turn around) and he said no.

Didn't comply with "turnaround" command quickly enough.

Unleash the dogs of war.

Because its not the police 'savaging the man' for making them wait a whole 'nother minute, it was a dog doing that.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   
6 cops vs 1 unarmed and naked (therefore visibly unarmed) guy and they use the dog?

Fire them all.
If you are not able to arrest an unarmed men you are in the wrong job. Period.

And charge the K9 cop with assault with a deadly weapon (the dog).

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Im not a member of PETA or anything, but I am a near fanatical dog lover. I hate that cops use dogs like this. I believe it is immoral.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Savage times.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   

I trust K-9 officers even less than I do regular cops, especially because my wife almost had an incident with a K-9 unit. We're hermits, we keep to ourselves and don't really bother anyone. We live near an Abbey that also has a winery with it. Many times when we walk our dogs, we like to walk to and around the Abbey. It's a beautiful place, very peaceful and relaxing.

Unfortunately on the same grounds is a correctional officer training building. We're surrounded by many prisons. Well, she was walking our dogs one day when she noticed across the parking lot was a K-9 officer and a few other people just talking. As the officer noticed my wife, he opened up the back of his car so his dog could see. Immediately the dog started barking aggressively in my wife's direction as if it was going to attack. Thankfully it didn't.

My wife didn't think anything of it, minus the dog just being rude, and kept on her walk. As she was near the end of her walk she happened to be within sight of that K-9 unit again. His vehicle was closed. When the officer noticed her again, he opened up the back of his car and his dog once again started barking aggressively towards her.

Thankfully nothing happened, but what if it did?? We have two little dogs, a chihuahua and a cairn terrier. They're both very lovable animals, and very well behaved. My wife is pretty certain he was doing that to mess with her.

Point of the story is that I'm not surprised at all that a K-9 officer allowed his "partner" to chow down on someone. I keep hearing too many stories of K-9 units using entirely too much aggressive force, as well as hearing many stories of K-9 units being commanded to "alert" to something that's not really there. So in other words, if the officers want probable cause, they make it up by commanding their dogs to "find something".
edit on 15-12-2016 by Necrobile because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Im not a member of PETA or anything, but I am a near fanatical dog lover. I hate that cops use dogs like this. I believe it is immoral.

Good. PETA are dog murdering psychopaths. They are not the good guys, at all.

I agree with you, it is inhumane to train dogs to harm human beings, and these officers took it to the limit. They need to be locked up. There is zero excuse for what they did to that man...and to the dog. None.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   
And people wonder why cop are being targeted just sitting in their cars.

THIS IS WHY OFFICERS. Clean your own backyard.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: goou111
And people wonder why cop are being targeted just sitting in their cars.

THIS IS WHY OFFICERS. Clean your own backyard.

This needed stated again........

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Necrobile

When I was growing up back in the 70's we lived a few doors down from a K9 officer. We also owned a German Shepherd Dog, the difference being, this GSD we had wasn't a stranger to dog scuffles. One night the K9 dog sees us outside and runs after us. My stepdad dropped our dogs leash and said "You're on your own buddy" and our dog proceeded to whoop up on that K9 dog. The cop came out after a few seconds and started talking some trash. My stepdad responded to him: You're the one without a dog on a leash, and your dog came after us. The dogs were separated and ours looked triumphant and proud, having protected his people from a marauder. The K9 looked like a victim, tail low, ears low and walking back in defeat.

That was 40 years ago, now I'm sure the K9 guy would have made up some funky story to justify pulling his sidearm.

I don't trust most police these days...but there are a few exceptions and K9s aren't one of them.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
i want to do the same thing to those cops.
forget lawsuits.
thats the only justice.

lawsuits dont work, investigations dont work, how many more press conferences is it going to take...
it has to be eye for an eye. just like police 'shootings' mysteriously went down post the dallas mental case who got tired of what and how cops were free to kill at will.

this is an extreme country, extreme measures are needed. because this event took place in august, the police chief needed time to cover his own ass or find all the technicalities they could before releasing it ensuring their lawyers have the advantage.

what a bunch of pussies.
i mean, theres no need to say, 'lets see what happened before the encounter'... well, the video starts with the man emerging, then boom dog on leg, 4 against 1. tazers are frowned upon or what? in the grand scheme of things... I ve seen worse.
i hope Trump has a solution for the slush fund that is police brutality. where the fak all those millions police departments country wide are paying out are coming from....

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Meh. It was probably a little early to go with the K9 take down, but it didn't look like he had any plans to comply. Probably would have ended up the same regardless. A poor example of excessive force in my opinion.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Sadistic..WTF,is going on? I wouldn't be surprised if civilians of all colors,and creed start fighting back.Enough is enough,serve and,protect?
FOESAD...

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   
It sounds very much like you are suggesting that it's acceptable for people to sneak up and murder police officers who have done nothing wrong while they are sitting in their ride, vulnerable and unable to defend themselves, simply because someone else did some heinous thing like this. That is very disturbing.

No one deserves to die for something that they had absolutely nothing to do with. If one of your coworkers goes out while on the clock and assaults someone, is it then OK for anyone to now target you, stalk you, and then sneak up behind you while you're otherwise distracted and put a bullet in your head simply because you and your coworker have the same employer? Would you deserve to have your life taken by a stranger whom you've never done anything to because someone else pissed that person off? Because that's essentially what it sounds like you're saying. And if that is actually what you meant, then that is truly horrifying.

A grave injustice was done to this man. There is no doubt of that. But innocent officers who have nothing to do with any of these types of incidents don't deserve to pay with their lives for what these assholes did. That is not OK at all, no matter what the profession may be.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

I absolutely do not support that in any way.. just pointing out why they are doing it.

It is precisely because of sh!t like this that goes unpunished ,as I am sure this will.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Bunch of hero's they used the dog to punish..the settlement should come out of these goofs pension.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   
That was absolutely disgusting....they allowed that dog to completely savage that guy, what a bunch of crooks remove their badges and jail the lot of them and the dog should be put down it is far too aggressive..

These nasty pieces of work sure do hurt the image of police in the U.S....

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Torture, plain and simple. The k9 officer should be charged immediately.

Why law enforcement is allowed to train dogs to be vicious weapons is mind boggling.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 11:56 PM
link   
More info:

In a complaint, his attorneys said cops “acted with unnecessary, cruel and despicable conduct and in wanton disregard for the civil rights, health and safety.”

The San Diego City Council last week approved a $385,000 settlement.

The man, speaking to NBC Los Angeles, said the attack sent him to a hospital for two weeks and left part of his leg permanently disabled.

“No dollar amount is worth having a disability for life,” he said.

Source

Due to bad judgment(this man was on '___' at the time) he suffers the consequence of disability for a lifetime over poor or even intended actions of the officer or officers. Sure there was a settlement however were the officers held accountable or just given a slap on the hand to is the dog retired now for not obeying-perhaps training protocols need to be looked at there.

new topics

top topics

join