It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global warming approaching point of no return

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Well, it seems we have reached a point where everyone except the Bush Administration is becoming concerned about the global warming of our beautiful planet. It is so typical of the Bush Administration to discredit everyone who's got something negative to say about what's going on in the world today.

Global warming approaching point of no return, warns leading climate expert
By Geoffrey Lean, Environment Editor

23 January 2005

Global warning has already hit the danger point that international attempts to curb it are designed to avoid, according to the world's top climate watchdog.

Dr Rajendra Pachauri, the chairman of the official Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), told an international conference attended by 114 governments in Mauritius this month that he personally believes that the world has "already reached the level of dangerous concentrations of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere" and called for immediate and "very deep" cuts in the pollution if humanity is to "survive".

FULL STORY

And here's my favorite:

His comments rocked the Bush administration - which immediately tried to slap him down - not least because it put him in his post after Exxon, the major oil company most opposed to international action on global warming, complained that his predecessor was too "aggressive" on the issue.

It never end with our great Commander in Thief.... errr.... Chief and his proud government. They won't take any criticism even if the rest of the world sees what's happening to our planet. They act as if nothing is wrong.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Global warming, reptilians, the NWO, all just a few of our modern day fairy tles.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwm1331
Global warming, reptilians, the NWO, all just a few of our modern day fairy tles.

Wait, global warming is a fairy tale? Maybe the rest of it is but I can assure you that global warming is not. Nice try though.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Hello There

Global warming is not caused by fossil fuel emissions or CO2 emissions - it's caused by variations in the output of the Sun, as observed by the length of the Solar Cycle - see
solar-center.stanford.edu...
and
www.space.com...

The fossil fuel myth is being kept going by the thousands of climatologists and other scientists who earn their living from research grants from governments and corporations trying to look 'green'.
If the obvious conclusion from the science in the above links is that the current warming cycle was due to the Sun, and is now reversing, is accepted, they would all be out of a job as the grants dried up.

The Farseer

[edit on 27-1-2005 by The_Farseer]

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by mwm1331

Ah-ha, I get the Feeling your a Good Catholic? Thats the kind of comment I would get from a Catholic freind of mine. Its sad when religion brings about things like this, IMO. Religion shouldn't promote Ignorance. Obviously, the reptilians are a bad joke though. NWO is completely unprovable either way, its one of those things we'll never know for sure.

So this isn't meant to offend your beleifs, but, sorry, Global Warming is real. Check the stats. We've spend up the point of the end of Human life like hell. We're past the no return point, thanks to the likes of Bush and the "Ignore it, its all bollocks" aproach. As well as China, its polluting pretty badly too.

Welcome to the Apocalypse. Drink, anyone? I for one, think the end will a site worth watching. Why panic? Its inevitible now. We can only try to hold it off for a few more years. Lets start now, the longer we get, the longer we can plan escape from this planet.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Farseer
Hello There

Global warming is not caused by fossil fuel emissions or CO2 emissions - it's caused by variations in the output of the Sun, as observed by the length of the Solar Cycle - see
solar-center.stanford.edu...

The 22 yr solar variation cycle is at a high right now, but it only accounts for .001 of 1% of the global warming trend we are now in.

If you look at the CO2 emissions that are at about 376 ppm right now, you will see that this is a major contributor and not the measly % caused by the sun. Methane is 1/3 of the CO2 causitive factor. My figures are also from stanford-
stephenschneider.stanford.edu... trarians.html]Source 1" target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">stephenschneider.stanford.edu...://stephenschneider.stanford.edu/Climate/Climate_Science/Con trarians.html]Source 1
stephenschneider.stanford.edu... /Contrarians.html" target="_blank" class="postlink">Source 2
But from a personal point of view minus all the political flinging on several sides, I'll just keep watching the European glaciers melt;the Canadian Inuit watch their permafrost melt; SE asia flooding; and the amount of wild life that have to adapt to these small- minor changes in the climate. (like the increase of malaria due to mosquitos being able to go to higher elevations)

11,000 yrs ago a lake drained into the Atlantic and probably started an ice age- so is it global warming problem or ice age that we are really concerned about?

Or is it because pollution doesn't just affect the climate- it affects the population also. Maybe if you look at the crap coming out of a coal plant,(by the Grand Canyon) or you can compare the emission laws in California and compare that to the container ships lowered standards for pollution controls- (off the coast of CA) and tell me that nothing should be done because the environmentalists are just a bunch of quacks with bad statistics. Better yet- look at the amount of birth defects due to pollution- then tell me it's all just a bad trip- change the dosage.

[edit on 1-3-2005 by accountable]

MOD EDIT: Fixing broken quotes and putting links into url format to ease thread viewing.

[edit on 5/31/2006 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Its all a natural cycle of earth. It makes me wonder what will happen when the cycle starts to naturally swing the other way. Will scientists start screaming about global cooling? Will we be forced to put more CO2 into the atmosphere to counter it?

The number one complaint I hear coming from Canadians aboot living in Canada is that its too cold in the winter, you would think they would welcome a little warmer weather.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 11:11 PM
link   
This discussion is live on ATS in a slightly different views. For all those who believe that global-climatic-change (global warming) is BS answer this.
Where does all the CO2 and other crap we release by the tons go?
What happens to an atmophere when you change the gases to that which responds differently to thermal radiation?
(don't say Canada, that line's been tried before).

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
If global warming is real then how come we just had the coldest winter in 6 years here in Long Island?

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 11:42 PM
link   
If global warming is not caused by fossil fuel emissions or CO2 emissions i just wanted to know the following from PTS members.If an electricty company in your area was signing up people to change over to green electricity would you change or would you stick with what you have.Im just asking since some people may think whats one more person"it's not like im going to make a difference the world is already doomed"Im asking here since i didnt want to start a new thread on the issue.

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Probably a combination of natural climatic cycles exacerbated by huge methane/carbon output. It's not even summer; it's 40 degrees celsius with a smog warning.

The point of no return happened some time ago. The water is all polluted now too; soon we won't be able to breathe, and there will be no clean water to drink.

Sudden sharp changes in temperature are part of the ongoing phenomena. Global warming isn't about colder climates getting warm - it's about the earth becoming a hostile habitat for humans, mammals and every other living thing in our ecological balance. Except some bugs.

The bees are already all dying - pollination is a bust. The seasons will no longer nurture crops.

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Tarzan, I would switch. I use only compact fluorescents. I unplug my appliances when not in use. I use public transit, my feet and my bike. I conserve water; I never buy it in plastic bottles. It's more expensive than gas that way. The plastic bottles are quickly filling the landfills and leeching poly-vinyl carbons into the groundwater. Poly-vinyl carbons are non-biodegradable carcinogens; the plastic leeches it into the water you buy as well. The global treaties have named water a human 'need' not a human 'right', which means it's a tradable commodity and only those with money will have access to it. Private water companies already have annual profits in the trillions that exceed those of the pharmaceutical industries.

'A good name is better than precious ointment; death better than birth'

Today I read an article about a group of scientists who were studying the effects of increased carbon on poison ivy. It makes it gigiantic and twice as toxic. All ivy will increase in size, it does very well with a heavy carbon atmosphere. Thought Tarzan might like that.

The average North American emits 5 metric tons of carbon a year. Not including the methane, or hot air.

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Given that nuclear power seems to be the only low carbon source of energy our politicans are offering in any significant quantity i'm surprised more people arn't in favour of it. At least our children can have Green "Peace" to thank for that. Yes renewables are nice, but its two to tango if you no what i mean.
And personally I would much rather live in a theoretically more radioactive Britain, than another one minus 50 (like it was in most parts 10,000 years ago).

Frankly I'm amazed that some people (on here) still dispute whether global warming still exists. It's getting to the point where its like arguing the world is flat.

As for the really "tricky" question of: "the world's supposed to be getting hotter man so why is it so cool down here dude" I have one thing to say. When the world gets hotter more ice is melted. This slows down the various ocean currents that deliver a warmer climate over massive areas.
However more heat is still trapped in the atmosphere so the average global temperature may only increase. This will mean more storms and other surplus enery coming from the waters that remain hot.
Near England the Gulf Stream has already slowed down by up to 40% over the last 5 years. Providing it keeps going is the main thing. And as for ice land that is loosing ice at a time when it should be gaining it.

The only jobs worths who make an underserved career out of climate change are those employed by the big energy companies to argue that "its all a bad dream".
They have used some very desperate tactics to argue it, and continue to do but the facts are facts; climate change is under way.

P.S Did you know that before every ice age the world has got hotter before getting cooler. Do you know why that is? It's thought that eventurally frozen methane on the ocean bed is realised; because unburnt methane is 23 times worse as global warming gas it causes run away climate change, where huge amounts of ice are dumped into the ocean and you get runaway climate change.
(The methane remains frozen because of high water pressure more than it does due to low water temperature). www.hydrogen.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by clearwater
Tarzan, I would switch. I use only compact fluorescents. I unplug my appliances when not in use. I use public transit, my feet and my bike. I conserve water; I never buy it in plastic bottles. It's more expensive than gas that way. The plastic bottles are quickly filling the landfills and leeching poly-vinyl carbons into the groundwater. Poly-vinyl carbons are non-biodegradable carcinogens; the plastic leeches it into the water you buy as well. The global treaties have named water a human 'need' not a human 'right', which means it's a tradable commodity and only those with money will have access to it. Private water companies already have annual profits in the trillions that exceed those of the pharmaceutical industries.

'A good name is better than precious ointment; death better than birth'

Today I read an article about a group of scientists who were studying the effects of increased carbon on poison ivy. It makes it gigiantic and twice as toxic. All ivy will increase in size, it does very well with a heavy carbon atmosphere. Thought Tarzan might like that.

The average North American emits 5 metric tons of carbon a year. Not including the methane, or hot air.

Hi thanks for the insight.Whilst i posted this a while back and got around to replying now after long deliberation i decided not to do it. Whilst enviromentaly we do the best possibly in our house i just wasnt convinced by the company and not convinced by those "terms and conditions" in the contract we signed.Before the cooling off period expired we backed out.

[edit on 6-6-2006 by tarzan]

top topics

join