It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reuters Exclusive- Top U.S. spy agency has not embraced CIA assessment on Russia hacking

page: 1

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Exclusive: Top U.S. spy agency has not embraced CIA assessment on Russia hacking

The overseers of the U.S. intelligence community have not embraced a CIA assessment that Russian cyber attacks were aimed at helping Republican President-elect Donald Trump win the 2016 election, three American officials said on Monday.

While the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI) does not dispute the CIA's analysis of Russian hacking operations, it has not endorsed their assessment because of a lack of conclusive evidence that Moscow intended to boost Trump over Democratic opponent Hillary Clinton, said the officials, who declined to be named.

The position of the ODNI, which oversees the 17 agency-strong U.S. intelligence community, could give Trump fresh ammunition to dispute the CIA assessment, which he rejected as "ridiculous" in weekend remarks, and press his assertion that no evidence implicates Russia in the cyber attacks.

The articles continues:

"ODNI is not arguing that the agency (CIA) is wrong, only that they can't prove intent," said one of the three U.S. officials. "Of course they can't, absent agents in on the decision-making in Moscow."

The Federal Bureau of Investigation, whose evidentiary standards require it to make cases that can stand up in court, declined to accept the CIA's analysis - a deductive assessment of the available intelligence - for the same reason, the three officials said.

Remarkable times.

When people assert there is an attempted coup in progress, I really am starting to think that is not hyperbole.
edit on 13-12-2016 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Yep. Was just FAKE NEWS as suspected.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 05:04 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

Also, as far as I know no new evidence has come to light since the initial assessment, the CIA news was essentially a restatement.

I do not know if they have more evidence than have made public, but that evidence of a covert Russian cyber operation was sort of .. not convincing: That hacks came from Russia, the tools were known Russian tools and the hacking group/collective is pro Russian and serve Russian interests. According to the group's own public website.

That seems excessively clumsy for a supposedly very capable intelligence.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Sorry can I just say this out loud....The CIA did all this, not Russia!

Thank you, you may now resume.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Cant prove 'intent" . Sound like Comey and the Clinton fiasco ?

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 06:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: solargeddon

Possibly the same that tried to hack Georgia's voting System ? Said "rogue" CIA was responsible. Or , they couldnt hack in to access the voting machines to change them ?

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   

I think it was the NSA. I'm starting to get the feeling that the CIA and NSA are on opposite sides of this coup, and are working against each other.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

Similar Government agencies have rarely been on the same page, and often don't even communicate with each other. I remember reading that this lack of communication is one of the reasons why the 911 terrorist attacks were so successful. Apparently, not much has changed in that regard. That is scary. Drain the swamp!

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan

I think it was the NSA. I'm starting to get the feeling that the CIA and NSA are on opposite sides of this coup, and are working against each other.

At this point I think all that matters is America is destroying itself and using Russia as a scapegoat.

I apply the term liberally, seeing as we are saying more than one alphabet agency may be involved.

new topics

top topics

join