It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gluten Free Rant

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Good evening bfft! Hey...we got a free turkey from my boss....thats not the odd thing. It had nothing added, no mso's, no antibiotics...nothing.

But it said...GLUTEN FREE! What The...????????????????

MS

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Good evening bfft! Hey...we got a free turkey from my boss....thats not the odd thing. It had nothing added, no mso's, no antibiotics...nothing.

But it said...GLUTEN FREE! What The...????????????????

MS
Those things are usually riddled with gluten. He spared no expense.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Sounds more like we need "Glyphosate Free" food me thinks......

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

had a dozen or so left over poblano's roasted from burgers the other night, so we made green chile and meat with that and some top sirloins i had in the freezer. Sirloin makes great stew meat.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I vape a lot. I hope my vape juice is gluten free, too.

I know my shoes are. Gluten free reclaimed lumber.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I have celiac, so the gluten free trend is actually a benefit for people like me. There are way more gluten free products at the stores than there were a few years ago.

It gets tricky when eating out, many restaurants have gf food on the menu but it may not be safe for celiac's. There is a sandwich shop in my town that makes waffle sandwiches and they have a gluten free waffle option, but they use the same waffle iron! Cross contamination nightmare city.

I do miss real bread, hot and fresh from the bakery smothered in butter. If I could eat gluten and not feel sick, I'd eat it every day.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: DustbowlDebutante

It is, it truly is. When diagnosed, it felt like I was experiencing the stages of grief, for bread.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Yep it is difficult to give up wheat products. I saw this other video on YT about how wheat was genetically modified and is now very addictive. Even if you are buying organic wheat you are still getting this stuff.

Sal

a reply to: Jennyfrenzy

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Just so you know, nearly all foods are naturally gluten free. If I'm not mistaken, gluten is a wheat protein which obviously wouldn't be in foods that don't contain wheat or wheat flour. But since a lot of food processors mix various ingredients into their final products, you may end up with gluten in things that it shouldn't normally be in. So the "gluten free" label can also serve as a defacto label for "we barely process our food products". Of course, it's also become an annoying food fad that pisses me off when I see "gluten free" kiwis or oranges.

Ironically, it reminds me a lot of the Halal labels. Nearly all foods are naturally Halal as well, including all fruits, vegetables, tuber, berries, nuts, etc. But sometimes manufacturers will intentionally add pig-based gelatins or extracts into foods that are normally Halal (like some pie crusts, chocolates, and sour gummy worms, grrr). So the Halal label really serves to let consumers know that the companies haven't added weird stuff into their products.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   
We do buy some things specifically gluten free for my daughter. That being said, we will get normal pizzas for everyone else and a gluten free one for her. But it is in order to help her form of autism. I don't understand exactly why but I have seen the effects, and she is a bit more hyperactive and uncontrollable with more gluten . . . thus less gluten = better.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   

you can't come in my rant and try to use logic and a level headed approach.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 03:55 AM
link   
a reply to: SallieSunshine

what utter bollox

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 04:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

you can't come in my rant and try to use logic and a level headed approach.

IK, R? Such a bummer when party poopers do that

Anyway, I'd likely eat your aunt's soup. I'm a potato soup lover, you really can't ruin it unless you go sans salt. Even the most basic can be awesome with the right herbs, spices and some salt (so long as it's chicken stock/broth based!)
You'd probably scream over my shoulder while I'm making it, but I can whip up a batch of thick potato soup in the crock pot that has no flour (I always forget it...the tater starch eventually does it's thing) The key for me seems to be timing, it's an all-day cook-down on simmer and voila, thick potato soup I barely have to mash and don't need to blend.

You're going to beat me now, aren't you? ROTFL.
Here, let me distract you with beer

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 04:37 AM
link   
When I was a kid no one was gluten allergic. Apart from those who hop on the gluten free bandwagon without being tested when you're allergic you fart all the time and your digestion does not work well.
When I was a kid there was no glyphosphate and bread did not come out of the supermarket. Our bakery had a very limited amount of different breads and most of the bread was sourdough.
When I go to the supermarket the bread isle stinks, it does not smell like bread (am I fortunate I get day old bread for free from a good bakery).

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Arghhhh!!!!!!!!
I am not celiac......but I am gluten intolerant. Trust me....it is Damn uncomfortable digestive-wise.

So.while I do agree it is a marketing ploy to ease dollars from the pockets of some unwary shoppers, I am very glad I can easily find things like buckwheat flour and gluten free pasta.

Disclaimer.....we do not allow margarine in our home.
ython
edit on Tue Dec 13 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

we approach potato soup similarly to chicken paprikash. So the dumplings add in some thickness, as does the sour cream. I cut the dairy with chicken stock.

whatever my aunt did to the soup was enough that mom was still going on about it this morning.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

Arghhhh!!!!!!!!
I am not celiac......but I am gluten intolerant. Trust me....it is Damn uncomfortable digestive-wise.

So.while I do agree it is a marketing ploy to ease dollars from the pockets of some unwary shoppers, I am very glad I can easily find things like buckwheat flour and gluten free pasta.

ython

Flies won't even lay maggots in margarine. If they won't eat it, its not food.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   

been seeing it everywhere.

the other night this dude ordered 5 small pizzas. total was 75 bucks....when i delivered he gave me a 15 dollar tip.
i think some people must have money to throw around so it might as well be a gluten crusade

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

Arghhhh!!!!!!!!

ython

Flies won't even lay maggots in margarine. If they won't eat it, its not food.

From what I understand, margarine has more chemicals similar to plastics than food.

We do butter in our house.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I appreciate the rant on gluten, I'm not sure I really even knew what it was. I just formed a snap opinion that it was "bad".

But same here on the margarine/butter thing. Butter only. I heard a nutritionist (tv nutritionist) say that butter is better because margarine has so much crap in it, your body doesn't even know what to do with it. Butter, on the other hand, is natural, and your body processes it just fine.

The only downside for me as been, it tastes so much better you have a tendency to use more, and put it on things you ordinarily wouldn't put it on. It is fattening.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join