It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gluten Free Rant

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   
My mother is visiting my aunt (her brothers ex wife) while in Dallas for some medical stuff. She was looking forward to the visit, and my aunt had planned a potato soup and cornbread, which is a favorite of my moms.

What she got: watery potato soup and gluten free cornbread. WTF? My aunt doesn't have celiac. No does anyone in our family or extended family. My aunt does have a case of smug, though. Like my wife says, "obnoxious". Thats a good summary.

Currently celiac has a prevalence of 1%, with a + or - of 0.5 to 1.25, meaning that at most 2.25% of the population has this disorder. That said, in 1970 only 0.03% were diagnosed, indicating that many with celiac don't know they have it as its undiagnosed.

So why this rage for "gluten free"? If the only benefit of gluten free is to alleviate the symptoms of celiac disease, why on God's green earth is it being served by my aunt, who doesn't even know anyone with celiac. Why is there an entire aisle at my grocery for "gluten free" when only 1% of the population needs it?

People are free to eat what and how they want. But ill reserve the right to think them a moron when they eat gluten free without celiac. There is zero health benefits. In fact, eating gluten free actually puts you at risk of malnutrition

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

It is mostly a marketing ploy, like organic food and eating margarine.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   

My mom has been on this kick. In fact, she made jumbalaya using gluten free pasta about a month ago.

I ate it. You know what I learned?

Gluten makes everything taste better!

Disclaimer: For folks that do have celiac conditions, I am so sorry for you. And I mean that, I'm not being snarky. If I had to eat that stuff all the time, I'd die of starvation. Bless y'all's hearts, that must be awful...

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

You mean the chicken I buy that cost me 2$ more has an unnecessary gluten free tag?
bastards

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Margarine is the Devil's toe-jam. I won't allow it in my home.

Nothing but real butter all around!

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
You mean the chicken I buy that cost me 2$ more has an unnecessary gluten free tag?
bastards

If you are buying gluten free chicken I want to talk to you about real estate.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: DustbowlDebutante

Besides tasting better real butter is healthier than margarine.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

its one of a slew of food fads that are being embraced by cockwombles globally

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   

My grandma can't eat gluten. I had about half a bite of her gluten free pancakes before I had to push them away. Stuff is nasty!

For some reason pretentious little hipsters jumped on the bandwagon and it just snowballed.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   

It's just the sign of the times.

I'm currently typing on a gluten-free keyboard to do my part to save the environment.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   

It's a little hard not to buy gluten free chicken...

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Gluten is a by-product of wheat. If your product doesn't have wheat in it but has a gluten free sticker on it and costs more... someone's trying to take advantage of lemmings. Unless you have celiac disease, gluten free is only marginally better for you than regular. You may notice a little less bloating and gas. More power to ya if you think it tastes good. If you really want to change your diet for health reasons, eat less wheat products all together and more green vegetables.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Indigent
bastards

If you are buying gluten free chicken I want to talk to you about real estate.

If there is any more meat on the bone I have some organic gluten free magic beans that I would swap for that fine cow...

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

It's just the sign of the times.

I'm currently typing on a gluten-free keyboard to do my part to save the environment.

I can no longer see your posts as I am lactose intolerant.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: DustbowlDebutante

Besides tasting better real butter is healthier than margarine.

I use real salted butter like others use cheese, in slices.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

cornmeal and flour typically go into cornbread. A little of each makes the world go round.

my aunt is from here. she's been shown and knows better. She made herself fairly wealthy plying a commercial arts degree. She was married into our family, which is a big food family.

I just don't get it. My poor mom chose to eat out in self defense.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Theres no gluten in either potatos, or corn, so Im a little confused , as both of these dishes should be gluten free?

Not trying to be argumentative, but theres a problem with the initial equation.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
So why this rage for "gluten free"? If the only benefit of gluten free is to alleviate the symptoms of celiac disease, why on God's green earth is it being served by my aunt, who doesn't even know anyone with celiac. Why is there an entire aisle at my grocery for "gluten free" when only 1% of the population needs it?

Just another iteration of the anto-gmo / organic / vegan hysteria craze.

If gluten were bad for EVERYONE then we'd possibly all be extinct!

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

man, me and butter.

I use a few oils, so butter isn't always used. But when its needed, i use it liberally. Maybe 3lbs a week in our house. Its part of the finish for just about everything hot.

Duck fat and bacon fat get used about as much as butter.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

The only real sense for gluten free without celiac is avoidance of glyphosphate which is sprayed on wheat to "ripen" it for market timing. Problem is it kills the good gut bacteria which allows for loosening of the tight junction in the gut lining which allows proteins to enter the bloodstream undigested causing a cytokine cascade...ie..inflammation
edit on 12-12-2016 by BlueJacket because: sp

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join